2014 Callaway Big Bertha Fairway Woods

Could a discounted BB be as good buy as XR ? Anyone gamed both ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't gamed the XR but tested it extensively. Depends on the look and all that you want, but I'm still gaming the Big Bertha 5w and loving it.

The BB 5W continues to be my go to club. I can hit it from anywhere and know exactly what to expect. It's the easiest FW to hit off the deck that I have ever played.

I have the 3W and 5W in play right now, with the 3W at 16* and the 5W at 20* The 3 is a beast off of the tee and elevates well from the fairway. The 5W is wonderful from nearly anywhere -- especially Fairway Bunkers. Great clubs!

I have XR woods with fubuki Z65 Shafts so a direct comparison. The XRs are somewhat more forgiving. Distance is also somewhat better. That being said, I'm buying two heavily discounted "like new" Bertha woods for my backup bag. Still a long very forgiving wood and the fubuki shafts are excellent.

the red tie shaft has lowered my trajectory over the stock shaft slightly, as I hoped it would. As a club I don't hit often on the course it will take a while to see if the shaft switch is indeed what I wanted but so far it looks good. I do need to take the draw bias off the hosel though, the few tee shots I took with it were slightly left. It also doesn't, initially, seem any harder to get the ball up off the deck with the red tie. With as little as I hit it, it could take all summer to make the decision. I don't think I can lose either way though.

I hammered this again on Sunday. Off the tee and off the deck. I have never hit a fairway wood with such confidence in my life.

I hammered this again on Sunday. Off the tee and off the deck. I have never hit a fairway wood with such confidence in my life.

I've got more fairway woods than I need right now, but the Bertha 5W is sort of a constant ponder for me. I feel like it would slot in perfectly as the only fairway in the bag, where the 4W is for me now. Last year's woods and driver are so good.

I've got more fairway woods than I need right now, but the Bertha 5W is sort of a constant ponder for me. I feel like it would slot in perfectly as the only fairway in the bag, where the 4W is for me now. Last year's woods and driver are so good.
Yeah man. I am not big on telling people something is the best and they need one because everyone is different but for me, it's the easiest FW I have ever hit. I can hit it from rough with ease as well.

The BB 5w is a pretty amazing club. It's definitely my favorite in the bag.

Big Bertha fairways are just silly good.

Been playing with cranking the loft on my 3W up to 16*, and loving it. Easier to hit off the deck, more accurate, and isn't much (if any) shorter. I was just hammering it in this configuration yesterday.

I took a few swings with the Alpha 815 FW today, wow the ball just flew off the face

I hit this 5 times Saturday. Twice off the tee and 3 times off the deck on par 5's. The fact that I was confident enough to hit it off the deck 3 times says enough IMO but the results were good too. The red tie shaft got my trajectory right where I want it (I have it lofted up a degree) and distance is really nice for me. I hit it flush twice off the deck about 230 yards (which is HUGE for me) and all 3 shots off the deck were no more than 10 yards off line with a tiny cut. I was just short of the green each time so I am not sure how it would have held the green, if at all. Maybe one day I'll be close enough off the tee to actually hit the green in 2 with this thing, lol.

Off the tee, the slight pull was a non issue this week.

If I can get comfortable with this thing it could be a game changer for me. I lay up alot on par 5's but if I could screw up and get on in 2 every once in a while it would be awesome. Regardless, with my improved short game this year just getting within 30 yards in 2 should really help as well.

I was told yesterday in a fitting, by a Nike fitter (who admittedly used to be a Callaway fitter, but still), that "if someone ever tries to take this club away from you, I want you to promptly punch them in the mouth". Yup, I'd say that gives it a pretty permanent spot in the bag! At 16*, was getting an easy 230 yard carry out of it, and with an aggressive hip turn I could top 240. In other words, nearly the length I hit my current driver (fitted into a different driver that's longer, but still).

Been reading this over. Had a generous hacker give me his BB 3 wood and have hit it once due to weather. Been raining so much here lately you'd think I lived in Seattle. I noticed in a lot of signatures guys playing to tour green as to the fubuki shaft. Can you guys tell me what if any differences you seen in the shafts?

Been reading this over. Had a generous hacker give me his BB 3 wood and have hit it once due to weather. Been raining so much here lately you'd think I lived in Seattle. I noticed in a lot of signatures guys playing to tour green as to the fubuki shaft. Can you guys tell me what if any differences you seen in the shafts?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Tour Green is a lower launching and lower spinning shaft than the fubuki

Putting the red tie in the 3w has been a great combo for me. Really solid off the tee and I'm no longer afraid to hit it off the deck with a clean lie. Just a solid club for me.

Anyone have experience with the BB 3 wood vs the B'stone J40 series? I love my J40 4w with PX6.0 but would like a little more distance. Main concern beyond distance is off the deck.

Anyone have experience with the BB 3 wood vs the B'stone J40 series? I love my J40 4w with PX6.0 but would like a little more distance. Main concern beyond distance is off the deck.
I've had some good time with both in the 18* 5 wood versions. I'll say the J40 is easier to hit off the tee with a little deeper face but Big Bertha is easier off the deck. Bertha has adjustability in lofts as well. I was pretty darn even distance wise on well struck balls for the two with Bertha being more forgiving on miss hits.

I have both. I like this better. Easier to hit off the deck for me. I think it's a little longer too.

Thanks!

OK, so I picked up the 3w and it's a beast! Love what I'm seeing out of it. So, has me pondering the driver. Those of you with both, does the driver feel and sound and pound like the fw?

really coming around with this 3 wood. getting more straight off the deck each round. Never had this much confidence with a 3w off the deck.

Super solid off the tee as well!

really coming around with this 3 wood. getting more straight off the deck each round. Never had this much confidence with a 3w off the deck.

Super solid off the tee as well!
Same way I feel about my 5 wood. So great off the tee and I can hit it off the deck in the right spots too.

I swear this thing might as well be a mini driver for me. Set at 16*, I poked a couple around 240 carry with 2k backspin and 17-18* launch. Just absolutely insanely long for a fairway wood. And unlike a mini driver, I can actually hit it off the deck!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back