2016 Carolina/DMV RR Travel/Extra Rounds

I'd have to check the schedule, and how many vacation days I have but I could be up mid Friday (perhaps a bit earlier).

I'm planning on coming down early Thrusday morning so anything Thursday afternoon and Friday will be great by me! Anyone have or know where the best hotel reservations can be had?
I'm waiting to see if Mike Dean sets up anything somewhere before deciding. But Big Ball and I talked about this on the drive back Saturday. There are no close options, so we may choose the Comfort Suites near the I-295 and I-95 interchange. This will be about 30 minutes from the course, but it may also work well for a Sunday am round at Mattaponni Springs on the way home.

I need to look at the hotels in the area and check the point situation it will determine a lot of where I stay.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wow...a quick Google search really confirms that there are no hotels even remotely close to RNK. Gonna be an early, early Saturday morning.

mechanicsville is the closest bigger town north of 64 off of rt 295. some lodging there on rt 360. south of 64 off of 295, chester will have lodging on rt 10.

Wow...a quick Google search really confirms that there are no hotels even remotely close to RNK. Gonna be an early, early Saturday morning.

No chains, but maybe a mom and pop place scattered here and there. Another consideration is that mid summer is prime touron season in W'burg so stuff tends to fill up pretty quickly as you go farther east.

Yep, having been down there several times, I can vouch for that. In addition the airport area hotels are pretty sketchy at best.

With both teams coming from different directions, it'll be hard to find an area that is convenient to both. Like you said, Saturday AM is going to be an early wake up call, no matter where everyone stays.

I have a friend in Richmond, but his family has a bunch of cats, so that's out for me (I'm allergic to the filthy beasts). Guess I'll try to book something near Williamsburg.

mechanicsville is the closest bigger town north of 64 off of rt 295. some lodging there on rt 360. south of 64 off of 295, chester will have lodging on rt 10.

From the North

https://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us...lat=META&dp=true&icdv=99618783#roomratestitle

https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/hp/reservation/book.htm?execution=e1s1

From the South

http://www.marriott.com/reservation/rateListMenu.mi

http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details...366&q-room-0-adults=2&YGF=7&MGT=1&ZSX=0&SYE=3

These hotels are 20-25 minutes from the course, both from the North and South of route 64. They are all close to route 295. These may be your best bet. Prices are reasonable assuming 2 guy's will share a room. Also, Chester is close to a place called Rivers Bend. Avoid this piece of land at all costs. I won't even call it a golf course.

So, mesaman, how do you feel about River's Bend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, mesaman, how do you feel about River's Bend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty bummed. It used to be a great track. I played it 2 years ago for $20. I left after 4 holes. 3 foot fescue growing out of the dirt in the center of what used to be bunkers, dandelions growing out of the greens. The epitome of the term "cow pasture". There are high dollar homes in that subdivision around that place too. Sad.

If I can help with any local hotels in the newport news area let me know. Only 45 from the course. As this gets closer I will still set up some rounds at local places Friday and Saturday as I would like to play with yall.

If I can help with any local hotels in the newport news area let me know. Only 45 from the course. As this gets closer I will still set up some rounds at local places Friday and Saturday as I would like to play with yall.
Thanks. I'm going to try and stay West of the course to make Sundays trip shorter.

Unless of course an official hotel us set up somewhere else.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'm going to try and stay West of the course to make Sundays trip shorter.

Unless of course an official hotel us set up somewhere else.

I'm going to suggest everyone secure lodging that needs it. It's not going to be a THP thing as far as I know. This isn't a stay and play event. And it's not really MikeDean441's deal to handle everything. It doesn't need to be complicated. Someone make a move and if other want to get the same hotel fine. If not fine too. The event is one day.

If you guys want extra rounds, they can be play Fri or Sun for $55, to setup a tee time just call Kim at:

Kim Filipowicz
804-966-7888

I'm waiting to see if Mike Dean sets up anything somewhere before deciding.

I'm going to suggest everyone secure lodging that needs it. It's not going to be a THP thing as far as I know. This isn't a stay and play event. And it's not really MikeDean441's deal to handle everything. It doesn't need to be complicated. Someone make a move and if other want to get the same hotel fine. If not fine too. The event is one day.

I wasn't in anyway saying I was expecting Mike to do it, just that I was going to wait in case he did, It just hadn't been made clear one way or the other. There have been events in past that were one day and not stay and play where a hotel block was set up. Also I may wait until we determine where things are happening Friday night (assuming there is still going to be a Friday night get together official or unofficial).

It's just t that some may end up being literally be 70 miles from others in the event as there are hotels 30 miles either side of the course, but none right there.

As you said, it's not a big deal, will see what others thoughts are that work for them.

For those looking for extra rounds on Friday and want to play a different course I strongly suggest Colonial Heritage in Williamsburg. It will test you every bit as hard as RNK

For those looking for extra rounds on Friday and want to play a different course I strongly suggest Colonial Heritage in Williamsburg. It will test you every bit as hard as RNK
I played there in early March. You are correct about it being a good test. A few holes were very reminiscent of RNK holes.

Is is it no 5. That is a par 5 that you either try to carry the hazard a,long the right to get a shot at the green or play it straight ahead along the hazard, then go over. It's just one that I recall been similar to RNK.

I played there in early March. You are correct about it being a good test. A few holes were very reminiscent of RNK holes.

Is is it no 5. That is a par 5 that you either try to carry the hazard a,long the right to get a shot at the green or play it straight ahead along the hazard, then go over. It's just one that I recall been similar to RNK.
That's correct on #5.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Is this the crescent moon (left to right) par 5? Stranz copied this hole at Tobacco Road, plays nearly identical. Funny how some designers will have a hole that shows up over and over again. Pete Dye does it as well. #18 at Pete Dye Golf Club, Bulle Rock, and Mystic Rock all have a similar fit and finish.

Is this the crescent moon (left to right) par 5? Stranz copied this hole at Tobacco Road, plays nearly identical. Funny how some designers will have a hole that shows up over and over again. Pete Dye does it as well. #18 at Pete Dye Golf Club, Bulle Rock, and Mystic Rock all have a similar fit and finish.
Yep u believe that's the one.

Guess it saved him some time in the design process. Ha

How many do you guys have for Thursday? I may be able to make something work.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I was going to play, and still will if there is an opening, but if you guys (Carolina) have enough players for a foursome, I will step aside. It would be awesome for you to be able to get out as a team.

I was going to play, and still will if there is an opening, but if you guys (Carolina) have enough players for a foursome, I will step aside. It would be awesome for you to be able to get out as a team.

I dont want to pop anyone out while we are teams, in the end we are also all here for the same common goal. Let me know where you guys stand and if you need another I will see if I can swing it tomorrow when I get to work

How many do we have?

Mike
Tom
Ron
mesaman
me

any others? we need a couple more

Ron we can play as a 3some and 2some or if we can get one more we can have 2 3somes.

Back