2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll give you an example of my curls today and you give me the yay or your a dummy and doing it wrong.

All dumbbells.
3 sets at 50lbs for 5 reps
4 sets at 35lbs for as many as I can do.
Swear
Drink water
For hypertrophy, yay.

For hypertrophy, yay.

Interesting. 4 months ago I was doing my 3 sets of 5 at with 35lbs so I've increased that 15lbs. Not sure if that's good progress or not but I'm happy with it.

Interesting. 4 months ago I was doing my 3 sets of 5 at with 35lbs so I've increased that 15lbs. Not sure if that's good progress or not but I'm happy with it.
Well, hypertrophic training is goofy. Essentially it's lifting in isolation. There are form "tips", but in general it's lift as many reps as possible. It's not all about "progress" it's more about physical size.

Well, hypertrophic training is goofy. Essentially it's lifting in isolation. There are form "tips", but in general it's lift as many reps as possible. It's not all about "progress" it's more about physical size.

To me the name implied beach muscles with little strength to them. I'm getting stronger so that's cool. The hardest thing for me still is eating. I'm not getting enough food and when I'm at work I get busy and don't have a chance to eat until about 2pm. Eating clean is great but not eating enough is no bueno.

To me the name implied beach muscles with little strength to them. I'm getting stronger so that's cool. The hardest thing for me still is eating. I'm not getting enough food and when I'm at work I get busy and don't have a chance to eat until about 2pm. Eating clean is great but not eating enough is no bueno.
Yeah, those beach muscles will get bigger and stronger when work to support larger muscle groups. But guns get the girls.

Eating clean is hard for under weight people. Pick up calories where ever you can. Get a burrito with the shell. Drink whole milk. Drink chocolate milk. Essentially, if you need to consume 4k-6k calories a day, it's darn near impossible to make them clean calories.

Yeah, those beach muscles will get bigger and stronger when work to support larger muscle groups. But guns get the girls.

Eating clean is hard for under weight people. Pick up calories where ever you can. Get a burrito with the shell. Drink whole milk. Drink chocolate milk. Essentially, if you need to consume 4k-6k calories a day, it's darn near impossible to make them clean calories.
Chocolate milk is your friend. I do half chocolate and half whole milk to cut out some of the extra sugar in the chocolate milk.

Yeah Blu hit on it, when I think hypertrophy I think about higher reps and a little lower weight. Hypertrophy is just growing bigger muscles to you can still add strength while doing so but in general I think most people definition would be just bodybuilding and destroying one muscle group with a ton of reps at lower weight for aesthetics. Like I said it can be a bit of both which I personally like to add into my routine but I still want to get stronger as well. Everything in moderation

For calories you should start doing protein shakes. You can easily get up to 1000 calories in shake depending on how big it was. Mine are usually around 16-24oz and have whey, organic peanut butter, banana, 2% or whole milk, spinach and sometimes some frozen berries. They are delicious, easy to consume and really helpful in hitting my goals.

I use hypertrophy to train for work but I do it in circuits to hit all the muscle groups. It sucks sucks really bad but on the fireground I've been in position where it's bust butt till I about drop catch a breather and then go again rinse and repeat till job is done.

I don't drop weight though I do a set till I can't go then hit the next excersise. Strength has its advantages but be able to run through a couple bottle changes is a great thing to be able to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I can lift my arms. Chin ups until I about puked the other day. Cardio only today.

Does your gym have a 2x4 you can use to focus on fixing the knee slide? I can't find the video now, but it was perfect.
My squats from last night. There's some knee slide on a few reps which needs to get cleaned up. Other than that I am happy.

[video=youtube;60-rJM3SJCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60-rJM3SJCc[/video]

Managed 1 set of 5 at 350lb and 2 sets of 5 at 315.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Does your gym have a 2x4 you can use to focus on fixing the knee slide? I can't find the video now, but it was perfect.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
No TUBOW. There is a foam roller than does the same job.

Upped the cardio tonight, and will going forward to get ready for #THPRegionalRivalry - 7.5mi on the bike, then all lower body and core work. I told the doc about my sore bicep at my annual last week, he told me to lay off the upper body work for another few weeks to rest it up. So it'll be a lot of cardio and lower body for the next few weeks.

Had a solid chest workout today.

Bench 3x8 @155 (got 10 on a set) making the one rep max over 207.

DB incline bench, DB bench press, and DB flys. Everything went great.

I've officially hit all my goals I set for the end of March do I'm extremely happy about that. I've just got to keep heading in that direction.

Had a solid chest workout today.

Bench 3x8 @155 (got 10 on a set) making the one rep max over 207.

DB incline bench, DB bench press, and DB flys. Everything went great.

I've officially hit all my goals I set for the end of March do I'm extremely happy about that. I've just got to keep heading in that direction.

Keep it up dude!

Keep it up dude!

The weights are getting heavier but my body isn't, I haven't decided if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

The weights are getting heavier but my body isn't, I haven't decided if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I don't see it as a bad thing, you're getting stronger which is great. I think long as you continue to progress and eat right you'll grow in the right places.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just being honest. You're not quite strong enough yet to see hypertrophic gains. Right now, just keep plugging away milking these gains. At your stage, you need to lay the foundation to really do some crazy hypertrophy work. It will only take a few months, but you have to pay your dues.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just being honest. You're not quite strong enough yet to see hypertrophic gains. Right now, just keep plugging away milking these gains. At your stage, you need to lay the foundation to really do some crazy hypertrophy work. It will only take a few months, but you have to pay your dues.

Some people have no problem putting on 5-6 pounds. Me, I'm lucky to maintain the weight I'm at.

Some people have no problem putting on 5-6 pounds. Me, I'm lucky to maintain the weight I'm at.

Are you trying to put on weight?

Are you trying to put on weight?

Yes, I just wanted to get to 190. I know the strength will come as I keep working toward it, but 190 is my weight goal.

Yes, I just wanted to get to 190. I know the strength will come as I keep working toward it, but 190 is my weight goal.

What are you now?

I go between 180-185

What did you eat today? How many calories?
Let me add, I really don't want a breakdown of bite to bite. But that's what you need to think about. You need to eat. Probably more than you think you need.

Let me add, I really don't want a breakdown of bite to bite. But that's what you need to think about. You need to eat. Probably more than you think you need.

I'm probably taking in 2500-2800 calories with about 80-100g of protein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back