2017 Golf League Thread

What kind of rules variations do people's leagues play? Ours has a few different things.
- bumping the ball is allowed as long as it isn't in a hazard (within a clubs head of the spot no closer to the hole)
- OB is two club lengths from where the ball went out and a stroke penalty
- Lost ball is same as above (spot needs to be agreed upon with your opponent)

We play match play in 2 person teams, high plays high and low plays low handicap.
2 points per hole and 2 points to the winner, 1 point each if it's halved.
Maximum of 10 strokes per hole and a natural 10 beats a pick up 10.
A player must putt out if they are in the skins game. (gross and nets skins) on a good week I've won $75 before
Giving putts is allowed but only within the flag stick length.
Our league can bump it within a scorecard length in the fairways due to conditions not being the best. It's 1 on 1. Each hole is worth a point. No maximum scores... Although your handicap is based on a maximum that you are allowed to take.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Move the ball within 6 inches anywhere outside a hazard or green. Play OB as a lateral for pace of play. Gimmies at discretion of opponents. Skins are gross score.

We also have a max of nine handicap strokes given, so if I am a seven and playing against a guy who is a 15 then he only gets one stroke per hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We also have a max of nine handicap strokes given, so if I am a seven and playing against a guy who is a 15 then he only gets one stroke per hole

We actually limit it to 7 - no strokes on the par 3s. They're all pretty short so it works out well.

We have a wide range of ages and handicaps, currently our early league has 17 2 person teams and our late league has 19 2 person teams and handicaps that range from 4 to 23 (for 9 holes)

I'm not competing in league this year, but our 2 man, 64 team eliminator.

But I do like what my course did this year with their league, it's a single person team now, so you compete by yourself and after week 1 you have some kind of personal par and then a stable ford scoring to see how close to that you can beat each week. An interesting concept and I'll see how it works over the 2 or 3 sessions of it they have planned this season.

The league I play in mirrors the PGA. We play a minimum of 16 tournaments, we have 4 majors (trophies given out for winners), WGC and playoffs.
Point structure mirrors the FedEx Cup and we have 2 separate flights.

The league is in its 6th year (my 4th), my only complaint is some guys don't know USGA rules and some simple golf etiquette

The league I play in mirrors the PGA. We play a minimum of 16 tournaments, we have 4 majors (trophies given out for winners), WGC and playoffs.
Point structure mirrors the FedEx Cup and we have 2 separate flights.

The league is in its 6th year (my 4th), my only complaint is some guys don't know USGA rules and some simple golf etiquette

This sounds like a fun format! We do a Ryder cup with early vs late league and some fun tournaments sprinkled in (3 club etc). Many of the guys in our league don't know a lot of the usage rules also. We have a rules official that helps finalize disputes that don't happen very often. Luckily with smart phones these days a lot of us have the app to help out.

Being one of the lower handicaps in our league sometimes it's tough to win a ton of points. I've had a few weeks where I was giving a stroke a hole and suddenly the guy shoots out his ass for a low 40's. Hard to compete with that.

I've never heard of practice round for a league but I like the idea.

We have an off league day at the start of the year, after every 5 matches, and before the tourney starts. It's a nice way to break up the year and play something a little different. Off weeks are always $5 a person/winners take all. Play every team once through the year, then single elimination tourney at the end for 23 weeks of golf.

With my lessons I think my handicap for the first half of our league will certainly go up as I'm working on things...and then hopefully drop for the second half.

To prevent sandbagging for the playoffs you get your lowest handicap that you finished either of the half's with.

We start on Sunday with our 18 holer...then our first 9 on Monday.

Let the league season begin!

With my lessons I think my handicap for the first half of our league will certainly go up as I'm working on things...and then hopefully drop for the second half.

To prevent sandbagging for the playoffs you get your lowest handicap that you finished either of the half's with.

We start on Sunday with our 18 holer...then our first 9 on Monday.

Let the league season begin!

At least you have an excuse. I start out at a 7 from last years handicap, get my butt kicked til we get enough scores for this season and usually balloon up to a 9 or 10 and then come back to a 6 or 7.

At least you have an excuse. I start out at a 7 from last years handicap, get my butt kicked til we get enough scores for this season and usually balloon up to a 9 or 10 and then come back to a 6 or 7.
So you're a finisher ?

Shot a very grinding 41 last night and won my league match. 2-0 so far this year.

Week 2 of the 9 hole league last night. First time back playing in quite a few years as history always had me getting whomped with a low cap against a bunch of 12-20s. They separated this league into two divisions, but a lot of the guys paired high/low so myself and my partner are the lowest by a good 8 strokes combined at 2.8 index. We've got a couple in our division that are a combined 20ish index.

So, last night, we play a 14 and a 12. The 12 plays horrible, the 14 plays brilliantly.

The match and our score;
Par - down 1
Par - down 1
Eagle - down 1
Birdie - down 1
par - down 1
birdie - down 1
par - down 2
birdie - down 2
birdie - down 2

So yeah, gross -6 for the 9 and we didn't win a single hole. That's super special fun times if you ask me.

Ill try to get to a 16 index to help if we pair up for the 2nd session. Should do the trick

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Week 2 of the 9 hole league last night. First time back playing in quite a few years as history always had me getting whomped with a low cap against a bunch of 12-20s. They separated this league into two divisions, but a lot of the guys paired high/low so myself and my partner are the lowest by a good 8 strokes combined at 2.8 index. We've got a couple in our division that are a combined 20ish index.

So, last night, we play a 14 and a 12. The 12 plays horrible, the 14 plays brilliantly.

The match and our score;
Par - down 1
Par - down 1
Eagle - down 1
Birdie - down 1
par - down 1
birdie - down 1
par - down 2
birdie - down 2
birdie - down 2

So yeah, gross -6 for the 9 and we didn't win a single hole. That's super special fun times if you ask me.
Ouch.... That's either some incredible play by those other guys or some serious handicap padding.

Ouch.... That's either some incredible play by those other guys or some serious handicap padding.

Like I said, one of them played terribly. It was the guy making putts from everywhere negating our birdies and eagles. And neither of them are padders, that's just what happens at 100% handicapped team games when the variance in cap is so great.

It's really kind of dumb.

Ill try to get to a 16 index to help if we pair up for the 2nd session. Should do the trick

that session is full. We'll just have to play people straight up in our own game.

Like I said, one of them played terribly. It was the guy making putts from everywhere negating our birdies and eagles. And neither of them are padders, that's just what happens at 100% handicapped team games when the variance in cap is so great.

It's really kind of dumb.
Rough.

I won my current league years ago at a 2 for 9 holes, but I had a heck of a playoff run with scoring. It's fun to play with everyone, but when an 8 shoots 37, you just gotta shake your head, say good job and move on I suppose.

Rough.

I won my current league years ago at a 2 for 9 holes, but I had a heck of a playoff run with scoring. It's fun to play with everyone, but when an 8 shoots 37, you just gotta shake your head, say good job and move on I suppose.

It's become more a joke than anything else. I subbed in for about five weeks last year and was a spectator shooting even par. While I appreciate everything that handicap is intended to do, playing a team 9 at 100% is lunacy.

Started work league last night 9 holes with an A and B player on each team handicaps established after two weeks of play.
My partner and I both shot 43 with the other team struggling to 56 and 59.
The round definitely dragged and the greens were punched not too long ago. Missed 2 birdie tries that I should have made

It's become more a joke than anything else. I subbed in for about five weeks last year and was a spectator shooting even par. While I appreciate everything that handicap is intended to do, playing a team 9 at 100% is lunacy.
Yeah team league play at 100% sounds pretty interesting. You'd think they'd cut it down to 70 or 80 since there's the ability to rely on each other.

that session is full. We'll just have to play people straight up in our own game.
Booooh

This makes me incredibly happy that both my leagues do the A-player vs A-player and B-player vs B-player thing.

This is the first time I've been part of a league. It's a scramble league that started last week. Part of the winning team in week 1. It helped having a scratch golfer on my team. It's interesting as it's a blind draw for teams with no handicap. It'll be interesting how that works out

Back