2018 Srixon Q-STAR TOUR Golf Balls Review

Great review. I have bought the prior generation thanks to reviews on here. Great alternative ball for me and the price can’t be beat. Excited to try the new model but also excited that the older one will go on sale hopefully.

7680ecd10154f43e499ddeac4bf6d464.jpg

This is what is on the Z-Stars that I’m trying to play through... Picked up some Twitter followers when someone else finds my ball... ��
Not so much lately bc I’ve mostly been gaming Chrome Soft Truvis this summer.

On a serious note, I’ll be able to put the New QST v. Z-Star & Chrome Soft in the Sim on Friday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a great idea!

Starting to think about the ball I am going to play next year and this is one that is high on my list. I am also considering the Bridgestone BRX. I have enjoyed the ProV1 around the green, but I am just overcooking misses off the tee too much and my approach game is good enough to make up for lower spin around the green.

Appreciate all the comments. Figured I would give this a slight bump since it posted last night. Just in case anyone missed it.

Hi Dean, enjoyed the review!
Anything about this ball that would make you play this one of the previous Gen ball?
If there was no markings on the ball, could you choose one over another?

Hi Dean, enjoyed the review!
Anything about this ball that would make you play this one of the previous Gen ball?
If there was no markings on the ball, could you choose one over another?

Yellow would push me this way. However with no markings, I probably couldn't tell a major difference between the two, unless I wanted to look more at the dimple pattern(but who has time for that nonsense?). I do think this one gives a little more greenside spin, but if we are doing blind ball, there are so many variables that come in to play there. Honestly that is nothing knew to me though, when I've tried a current version of ProV1 vs previous version, it's hard for me to tell a major difference on the course. I liked the previous version as I do this version. If someone wanted to stock up on the previous version to save some money, I think it would be a fine move.

Great breakdown and data Dean. I've slept on this one, but maybe its time to try it?

Have you tried the Duo U? And comparison thoughts?

Great breakdown and data Dean. I've slept on this one, but maybe its time to try it?

Have you tried the Duo U? And comparison thoughts?

Have some you want to trade? haha
I believe I played the Duo U back at our last staff retreat in 2016. But it's hard for me to make a sincere comparison.

Nice shooting! Sounds like a potential gamer ball if I do say so. What do you normally play?

Been playing Vice Pro and the TP5x

Been playing Vice Pro and the TP5x

nice! I haven't played a Vice Pro, but TP5x is a pretty damn good ball in my time tinkering with it. If you keep these in the bag for some rounds, definitely keep coming back to this thread and giving your thoughts.

Have some you want to trade? haha
I believe I played the Duo U back at our last staff retreat in 2016. But it's hard for me to make a sincere comparison.

You're going to make me buy some, last thing I need is more golf balls, jerk.

Just about out of my stash of the previous version. Definitely want to give these a run

I hit full wedges in the Sim tonight with the Chrome Soft, Z-Star, & Q-Star Tour...

The results were surprising, I’ll post the data later on tonight...

I hit full wedges in the Sim tonight with the Chrome Soft, Z-Star, & Q-Star Tour...

The results were surprising, I’ll post the data later on tonight...

6aa2bf1a844a9370a6bee07d7b96658a.jpg

I haven’t put them in play on the course, but the new QST held it’s own in the Sim...

Here is some thoughts on the New Q-Star Tour over multiple rounds:

About me:
Handicap- GHIN 9.7
Swing Speed- 98-102 MPH (Driver Average)
Normal Ball Flight- Mid-High
Normal Miss- Left (I'm right handed), Sometimes left of Bernie Sanders
Balls that I've Gamed in the Past- I was an E6 or NXT Tour S guy for years, Recently I switched to the Chrome Soft or Z-Star mostly. During the winter's, I normally play the Q-Star Tour.

WITB- Bag played for all rounds as the Signature states.

Distance- For the testing period, I gamed the New QST for the majority of holes while sprinkling in my other balls of choice for a comparison (Chrome Soft & Z-Star). The distances that I have seen off the driver have been really good. This ball is slightly longer off the tee than the balls that I was comparing it against. This ball is lower spinning off the tee, I have been pleased with its performance on off line strikes. Related to iron distances, this ball carries roughly the same as I’m accustom to seeing, however there is a little more release and roll out than the balls that I normally game. The iron distances weren’t enough to alter club selection.

Approach Shots: As mentioned above this ball is lower spinning off of the Driver, but I have found that it has enough spin on approach shots to hold greens with no issues. It’s not going to spin back, but it doesn’t run out, the ball is normally near it’s pitch mark.

Chipping: I’m breaking in new RTX-4 wedges, and still getting my distance control down, however, from what I have seen with this ball is that it won’t one hop and bite like the Chrome Soft or Z-Star. It’s not egregious, just need to adjust to play for a bit more run out on chips.

Putting: This ball feels soft off the putter, but I wouldn't describe it as "mushy" at all. I like putting with this ball.

Durability: How durable a ball plays, is relative and hard to quantify, however, I want to make a comment about the durability of the Q-Star Tour (and really the Z-Star line too). I found it to be very durable. I've seen many tree shots, cart path bounces, and these mishaps have caused scuffing and marks, but never so bad that I have had to pull one out of play.

Conclusion:
The New Q-Star Tour is a flat out winner, and one of the more underrated balls on the market. The main knock on the previous version was that it didn’t come in yellow, that issue has been remedied with this year’s version. This type of performance at this price point (under $30), is a no brainer. It's a great ball off the tee and isn’t a liability in the short game, if you are looking for a lower price point ball that plays similar to premium priced balls, take a look at this ball. If you have listened to Dean Snell talk about choosing a golf ball, he states that you start near the green and work back, I think that if people really did what Dean recommends, many would choose this ball over other options with a similar price point.

If y'all have any questions, please ask.

Here is some comparison data for those that like data:

47f849d37351286263bd3ad3aa5b3880.jpg

af7c416f1105de2c0842c454accd6701.jpg

3f32095b9e6a50a8c72126cee756d4d9.jpg

Here is some thoughts on the New Q-Star Tour over multiple rounds:

About me:
Handicap- GHIN 9.7
Swing Speed- 98-102 MPH (Driver Average)
Normal Ball Flight- Mid-High
Balls that I've Gamed in the Past- I was an E6 or NXT Tour S guy for years, Recently I switched to the Chrome Soft or Z-Star mostly. During the winter's, I normally play the Q-Star Tour.

WITB- Bag played for all rounds as the Signature states.

Distance- For the testing period, I gamed the New QST for the majority of holes while sprinkling in my other balls of choice for a comparison (Chrome Soft & Z-Star). The distances that I have seen off the driver have been really good. This ball is slightly longer off the tee than the balls that I was comparing it against. This ball is lower spinning off the tee, I have been pleased with its performance on off line strikes. Related to iron distances, this ball carries roughly the same as I’m accustom to seeing, however there is a little more release and roll out than the balls that I normally game. The iron distances weren’t enough to alter club selection.

Approach Shots: As mentioned above this ball is lower spinning off of the Driver, but I have found that it has enough spin on approach shots to hold greens with no issues. It’s not going to spin back, but it doesn’t run out, the ball is normally near it’s pitch mark.

Chipping: I’m breaking in new RTX-4 wedges, and still getting my distance control down, however, from what I have seen with this ball is that it won’t one hop and bite like the Chrome Soft or Z-Star. It’s not egregious, just need to adjust to play for a bit more run out on chips.

Putting: This ball feels soft off the putter, but I wouldn't describe it as "mushy" at all. I like putting with this ball.

Durability: How durable a ball plays, is relative and hard to quantify, however, I want to make a comment about the durability of the Q-Star Tour (and really the Z-Star line too). I found it to be very durable. I've seen many tree shots, cart path bounces, and these mishaps have caused scuffing and marks, but never so bad that I have had to pull one out of play.

Conclusion:
The New Q-Star Tour is a flat out winner, and one of the more underrated balls on the market. The main knock on the previous version was that it didn’t come in yellow, that issue has been remedied with this year’s version. This type of performance at this price point (under $30), is a no brainer. It's a great ball off the tee and isn’t a liability in the short game, if you are looking for a lower price point ball that plays similar to premium priced balls, take a look at this ball. If you have listened to Dean Snell talk about choosing a golf ball, he states that you start near the green and work back, I think that if people really did what Dean recommends, many would choose this ball over other options with a similar price point.

If y'all have any questions, please ask.

Here is some comparison data for those that like data:

47f849d37351286263bd3ad3aa5b3880.jpg

af7c416f1105de2c0842c454accd6701.jpg

3f32095b9e6a50a8c72126cee756d4d9.jpg

So this data supports my TXG comments yesterday (I think) about the importance the ball has in a fitting. If you didn't change balls, you wouldn't know.
Looks like this New Q-Star Tour is a great fit for you as long as you know you aren't going to get as much spin around the green like the other tested.
Be interested to see how this ball stacks up against the Project(a) and AVX.

Well Done JDax!

Thanks for the info JDax, looks like the QST is low compression and lower spin, similar to an AVX. I just ordered a dozen so I can do some on course testing.

So this data supports my TXG comments yesterday (I think) about the importance the ball has in a fitting. If you didn't change balls, you wouldn't know.
Looks like this New Q-Star Tour is a great fit for you as long as you know you aren't going to get as much spin around the green like the other tested.

Well Done JDax!

I think that one of the things that the testing showed was that any of the three balls that I tested would be workable for me.
Depending upon what I valued most in a ball, you could make a case for any of the three balls. The good news is that I have a fair amount of all three. I could switch to the cheaper QST over the winter and it not be much of a performance drop off. Also, I have a sleeve of this year’s Project A balls, I’ll do a comparison between the QST & Project A the next time I have a chance.

With the 6 pack being $10 everyone should try this ball for a round or two. I'm a huge fan of the XV but I'm still giving this ball a try since it just makes a lot of sense on paper.

Picked up a dozen this weekend in yellow (I can see then better). Game RX. Have played tour soft, chrome soft, qstar, in recent part. Have 85 mph swing speed.
Driver distance is on par with a few getting out there quite well. Trajectory seemed slightly lower than RX which I liked. Irons nice and soft feel with good trajectory. Full wedges very acceptable. One hop/stop. Putting soft with easy distance control.
Chipping and bump and runs is where I thought they really shined. Open wedge chips flew and rolled out just as desired. Likewise with 8 iron bump and runs. Just the amount of check I hope for and releases out.
More similar to RX than anything else I’ve played at 2/3s the price. Chrome Soft checks faster which was a detriment to me. Never got comfortable with them on my short game. Definitely checks more than tour soft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well Done JDax!

QST vs. Project A Data coming... Wedge and 7 Iron.

"That ball went so far left that it tried to take half of my paycheck for taxes." HAHAHA

Great write up, JDax!! The Q-Star Tour has been my go-to ball since I got some to test last year on THP.

I may have just purchased 4 dozen of these. I did, but I may have too. Never played it but the reviews are just too good not to dive in head first.

2018 Srixon Q-STAR TOUR Golf Balls Review

QST vs. Project A Data coming... Wedge and 7 Iron.

a44839feb262b09c0b10cdb4a91bfe3a.jpg

72021d994dfcdd7fec4d36c9af4c97fa.jpg

As you can see the QST launches higher and is longer, but the Project A spins more. The wedge used was a Cleveland RTX-4 54 degree. The 7 iron used was Rogue Pro 7 iron w, KBS C-Taper Lite shaft. Also, the QST generated more ball speed than the Project A.

There is a trade off, I believe that the QST spins enough with a higher launch to make it the winner here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the data. Looks like you hit the ball fairly high and don't need the extra spin to hold greens. Project A could be beneficial for a different type of player though.

Back