2019/2020 Soccer Thread

I see City got their European Ban overturned, just have to pay a measly 10 Million Euro Fine

Utd currently beating Southampton 2-1

Cannot believe Sporting KC blew that game Sunday night.....yeesh......red card on Melia....not looking good for them to even get out of this group...and SKC was looking GOOD prior to the outbreak - love the up front duo of Kinda and Pulido with Russell already in place (along with Gerso, Busio, etc). I am so ticked off about that Melia red card (tho deserved...just a stupid play).

After playing in a baseball stadium for the last 5 years, my local team finally opened their new soccer stadium. Lost the game, but this was a beautiful place to be, and we were actually able to watch live sports in person.

F66FCFDF-BBAE-4462-96D7-383F81E4EA8F.jpeg

After playing in a baseball stadium for the last 5 years, my local team finally opened their new soccer stadium. Lost the game, but this was a beautiful place to be, and we were actually able to watch live sports in person.

View attachment 8953371
Drove by the stadium when I was in Lville this past January and it looked amazing. Hopefully the viewing experience inside is a good as it looked from the road. On a side not the concrete skate park a few blocks away might be the best concrete skate park in America

Cannot believe Sporting KC blew that game Sunday night.....yeesh......red card on Melia....not looking good for them to even get out of this group...and SKC was looking GOOD prior to the outbreak - love the up front duo of Kinda and Pulido with Russell already in place (along with Gerso, Busio, etc). I am so ticked off about that Melia red card (tho deserved...just a stupid play).
I made my best decision of the day by turning it off after Shelton’s second goal. I see the ‘Rona hasn’t slowed down Gerso at all, but it also didn’t improve his touch. You can’t have everything I guess! Can’t wait to see Pulido and Kinda get back in sync. Those two are going to be a nightmare in the West!

I made my best decision of the day by turning it off after Shelton’s second goal. I see the ‘Rona hasn’t slowed down Gerso at all, but it also didn’t improve his touch. You can’t have everything I guess! Can’t wait to see Pulido and Kinda get back in sync. Those two are going to be a nightmare in the West!
Definitely agree with all that....that was bad luck on Shelton's own goal...ugh....

Gerso is a monster with speed but yeah...he seems like at times he can really work the ball in but man sometimes he gets a foot on it and it's immediately 10 yards off his foot. They have lacked offensive punch since Dom left, really....I love Russell but he's more of a conduit to other guys...I think he makes things happen, but not a guy you want to HAVE to lean on for scoring....

Pulido/Kinda/Russell along with guys like Espinoza, Gerso, Shelton, Ilie, Busio and so on....I havea lot of hope for the offense going forward.....I need to see the defense a bit more this year...they looked good the other night, but at some point I think Besler and Zusi are going to start looking really old and slow (as will Espinoza in the mid)…...

Definitely agree with all that....that was bad luck on Shelton's own goal...ugh....

Gerso is a monster with speed but yeah...he seems like at times he can really work the ball in but man sometimes he gets a foot on it and it's immediately 10 yards off his foot. They have lacked offensive punch since Dom left, really....I love Russell but he's more of a conduit to other guys...I think he makes things happen, but not a guy you want to HAVE to lean on for scoring....

Pulido/Kinda/Russell along with guys like Espinoza, Gerso, Shelton, Ilie, Busio and so on....I havea lot of hope for the offense going forward.....I need to see the defense a bit more this year...they looked good the other night, but at some point I think Besler and Zusi are going to start looking really old and slow (as will Espinoza in the mid)…...
Yea our back line is definitely the weakest point now, which is a big departure from the last few Opara years. I hope Russell feasts now that he’s surrounded by true goal scorers. Espinoza sure didn’t take long to get his first booking, some things never change.

Yea our back line is definitely the weakest point now, which is a big departure from the last few Opara years. I hope Russell feasts now that he’s surrounded by true goal scorers. Espinoza sure didn’t take long to get his first booking, some things never change.
Ha...yeah but I know when Espinoza was hurt last year the team lacked a little fire...not that guys like Russell don't bring a certain fire...but Roger goes beast mode :)

I trust Vermes to keep supplying talent...and with Sporting so involved in youth soccer now...they have a direct pipeline from youth soccer into their B team at Swope, etc.....I coach at Sporting Lee's Summit - though I coach girls, but they are still very involved in the girls side as well...I get to attend some cool coaching camps and watch SKC practices a couple times a year, etc...pretty cool stuff. Anyway...I trust team ownership and front office/coaching/technical direction to keep things moving in the right direction and replenish talent....

Ha...yeah but I know when Espinoza was hurt last year the team lacked a little fire...not that guys like Russell don't bring a certain fire...but Roger goes beast mode :)

I trust Vermes to keep supplying talent...and with Sporting so involved in youth soccer now...they have a direct pipeline from youth soccer into their B team at Swope, etc.....I coach at Sporting Lee's Summit - though I coach girls, but they are still very involved in the girls side as well...I get to attend some cool coaching camps and watch SKC practices a couple times a year, etc...pretty cool stuff. Anyway...I trust team ownership and front office/coaching/technical direction to keep things moving in the right direction and replenish talent....
Espinoza is a workhouse, he brings the energy. I’m sure I’d hate him if he played for another team, but since he’s with Sporting I’m a huge fan! I’m confident in the team’s direction as well. They have a great front office and a model setup from stadium to practice facility and pipeline, you name it. I will admit it was nice to see them go out and spend serious money in the off-season. And I’m glad they didn’t lower their price on Busio because rumor had it there were teams calling with pretty decent offers.

Espinoza is a workhouse, he brings the energy. I’m sure I’d hate him if he played for another team, but since he’s with Sporting I’m a huge fan! I’m confident in the team’s direction as well. They have a great front office and a model setup from stadium to practice facility and pipeline, you name it. I will admit it was nice to see them go out and spend serious money in the off-season. And I’m glad they didn’t lower their price on Busio because rumor had it there were teams calling with pretty decent offers.
they need to hang on to Busio…..

Very pleased that Liverpool has struggled since the season re-started. They definitely lost all the momentum they had on their possible record run. If the seaspon hadn't stopped there's no telling how many points they would have scored, but as it is now, they can't hit the 100 point mark anymore.

Bummer for Klopp, but happy that City is still the only Centurion team.

Wow Tim Howard.....how far we have fallen.
What’s he up to? Is he trying the Drogba hoping Memphis gets promoted to MLS?

What’s he up to? Is he trying the Drogba hoping Memphis gets promoted to MLS?

Playing USL in Memphis. Got 3 knockers passed him in 40min. But to be fair his defense was crap. Still remember that WC performance he had years ago.

Playing USL in Memphis. Got 3 knockers passed him in 40min. But to be fair his defense was crap. Still remember that WC performance he had years ago.
Yikes! I know Drogba was player/owner for the Phoenix USL team. Howard’s 16 save performance against Belgium was simply unreal. We need to get back in the WC! I assume qualifying will be delayed with covid.

Yikes! I know Drogba was player/owner for the Phoenix USL team. Howard’s 16 save performance against Belgium was simply unreal. We need to get back in the WC! I assume qualifying will be delayed with covid.

As a lifelong toffee, I’m always saddened by the praise Timmy gets for that game. He pulled so much out but no one gives the other 10 in front any stick for letting him work so hard (former defender speak here).

Admittedly that Belgian team was stacked (rom aside )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Promoted... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That concept does not exist in this country.
I think soccer is the first sport where we’ll have a promotion system 🤞 but I meant promotion in this sense is more as becoming the next MLS expansion team. I think that was Drogba’s intent with Phoenix.

I think soccer is the first sport where we’ll have a promotion system 🤞 but I meant promotion in this sense is more as becoming the next MLS expansion team. I think that was Drogba’s intent with Phoenix.

I hope so. Having promotion in the US would increase the overall quality and opportunities of the game here.
Unfortunately, the powers that be (read: US Soccer and MLS) are in bed together to maintain the status quo. The only way into the top of the ‘pyramid’ here in US is to spend $350m+ to buy in to the league.

My local team (Louisville City) is in USL, directly below MLS.Hhas beaten a few MLS teams, has been in the conference championship 5 straight years, and won the league title 2 of the last 3 years. Without promotion/relegation - our best players get poached since there is no other way up.

I am hopeful that one day soccer here has promotion/relegation, but MLS and US Soccer is resistant and I fear it to be many many years away from possible.

Arsenal’s season may not be so lost after all!! A win against Liverpool one day, then a 2-0 defeat of Man City a few days later in the FA Cup semis!!

#COYG

Leeds returning to the premier league after 16 years, including dropping down into the third tier for a time. I have a horrible feeling Villa are going to be the new Leeds.

A London Derby for the FA Cup final

Now a question for all you UTD fans, would you promote Dean Henderson to the Number 1 Goalkeeper?

I hope so. Having promotion in the US would increase the overall quality and opportunities of the game here.
Unfortunately, the powers that be (read: US Soccer and MLS) are in bed together to maintain the status quo. The only way into the top of the ‘pyramid’ here in US is to spend $350m+ to buy in to the league.

My local team (Louisville City) is in USL, directly below MLS.Hhas beaten a few MLS teams, has been in the conference championship 5 straight years, and won the league title 2 of the last 3 years. Without promotion/relegation - our best players get poached since there is no other way up.

I am hopeful that one day soccer here has promotion/relegation, but MLS and US Soccer is resistant and I fear it to be many many years away from possible.
Aren't they instituting the promotion and relegation into the USL? I thought I read somewhere in the past that was planned with the current expansion into the Championship, League One, etc. I would be hard to manage with all of the MLS teams creating their feeder teams there. I know several exist already and Columbus Crew is finally starting their own team in the USL next year.

Arsenal’s season may not be so lost after all!! A win against Liverpool one day, then a 2-0 defeat of Man City a few days later in the FA Cup semis!!

#COYG
Beat Liverpool. Beat Man City. Lose to Aston Villa.

Arsenalling at its finest.:banghead:

It’s FA Cup or bust for a Europa League spot.

Back