2019 Morgan Cup Live Update Thread

Fun to see the Haig Point ferry on the PGA Tour broadcast while they play at Harbor Town.

Fun to see the Haig Point ferry on the PGA Tour broadcast while they play at Harbor Town.

I nearly snapped my head turning around when they closed the broadcast by saying they were on the calibogue sound. I completely forgot but it made me smile.

The lucky bunch that gets to visit. That was pretty cool. Hope everyone is doing well. April-Aug is very busy @ work, but I am playing with OITW this weekend which is cool. Again hope everyone is well.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

11019f762e4b1ea5a01f418b2af9e488.jpg

Take me back, please.

Are.You.Freaking.Kidding.Me.

Civic, is one amazing human being.

b6619ea5bb6171a239674db3c51fe06c.jpg

Thank you so much for this amazing gift dude!

I know just the picture that will fill this frame.

Civic is a first class THPer and human being. Really hope I get to play with him again or even just have the chance to grab a few beers and catch up on life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simply amazing.

@93civiccpe you are one genuine dude.

#ilovethiscommunity

Awesome gesture Civic!!!

5204c12c07fb885372c9f2ab1ebaa74f.jpg

5204c12c07fb885372c9f2ab1ebaa74f.jpg

Can I get some of that Morgan Cup you got there? Ive got the shakes.

Civic is a first class THPer and human being. Really hope I get to play with him again or even just have the chance to grab a few beers and catch up on life.

Buck, we will absolutely make that happen!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Awesome gesture Civic!!!

It really is an awesome gesture, but you know what? I'm not one bit surprised to see him do that for OITW. This fits perfectly with his personality and nature. This is exactly the kind of dude Shaun is.

giphy.gif

There's another one next year. Why don't you get into it ya jark?

That’s the current plan...

Awesome gesture Civic! That frame is perfect man!

Damn, great gesture!!!!!!

Civic! That’s so flipping cool. And what makes the Morgan Cup so special. Damn fine men playing in a great event, continuing to share awesome moments... and you guys were opponents! Don’t ever change mister!

Recap 0 - Event leadup

Recap 1 - Week of event / travel / practice round

Recap 2 - Ferry Ride, Friday night dinner, and Saturday Competition

Recap 3 - Saturday night dinner & after party, Sunday singles, and saying goodbye

I apologize for the delay in getting this last writeup finished.* I still don't want the event to be over! We pick this up after the Saturday competitions as we all went back to our houses, got cleaned up, then hung out for a bit before going to dinner.* We were excited as we had discussed how cool it would be if the competition came down to singles.* Being down by 2 points we knew we were still in it but would need a big day of singles to retain the cup.**The location for the dinner was the Calibogue Clubhouse which we had not been to previously.* We turned onto a sandy path along the coast and ahead was the clubhouse overlooking the water.**

https://youtu.be/VhCthQzGaLk

They reserved* the top floor for us and we all sat down and the fun began.* I was sitting next to Yagley who remembered I was a whiskey drinker and quickly gave me the bourbon that he was just handed and ordered another for himself.* There were numerous conversations and I was trying to catch up with anyone who I hadn't been able to talk with.* The captains got together and announced the matchups for singles and the dinner continued.* Once again, the food was amazing.* I got the chicken and it was excellent.* There was talk about heading over to Hilton Head for an unforgettable night but the captains decided it would be smarter if we just all hung out at their house.* We grabbed the beer and liquor and headed over for a night of drinking, stories, and fun.* The crazy thing is that Craig (director of golf at Haig) and the head greenskeeper both came over to the captains house to drink and hang out with us.* Among other things I learned about Buck's immunity, many new jokes I had not heard, and planned a potential future camping trip with OITW.**

We got back to our house in the wee hours of the morning, checked on the basketball games, then tried to get our clothes laid out and our stuff mostly packed as we knew the final day would* be a blur.* Somewhere in there we watched the first day recap show that JDax/e1iterate/Chef made.**As exhausted as I was, I found it hard to sleep that night.* I was recounting the many conversations and experiences on and off the course and it took much longer than it should have.* After what felt like only a few hours my alarm woke me up and it was time to get up for the final day of the Morgan Cup.* Unfortunately, my body reminded me why it isn't wise to party like a college kid at my age and my back was stiff.* It wasn't that it was aching or any muscles were pulled, it was just worn out.* Partly that was due to overswinging because of the adrenaline but looking back I realize I've never attempted that much golf in a short period of time.* I took up golf casually after college so I never competed or played multiple rounds.* The most I had played was 27 holes in a day and with the practice round we were completing 63 holes over*3 days. I took a hot shower, coated my back in biofreeze, then we headed to the clubhouse for breakfast and to warm up.**

I cannot thank JB/Craig/whoever made the decision to have a later tee time on Sunday as it was needed.* We had a nice breakfast in the clubhouse where we learned that the matchups were changing due to injuries.* BoilerCLE arrived thinking he was going to get to duel it out with Yagley.* Then we were told that he was going to have to compete against the scorecard and they were giving him his handicap+3.* (Any holes he shot net birdie or better he won, net par was a tie, and net bogey or worse was a lost hole).* He was starting to get his trash talk ready for that piece of paper when another injury and another change happened and now he was going to be a part of 'pop-a-palooza 2019' as we would be playing Phoffer.**

We made our way out to the putting green and the driving range and I quickly realized that I needed to swing smooth and play smart.* I was getting to play BuckNasty and we were playing straight up.* My cart-mate was BoilerCLE and watching him battle all day long taught me a bunch.* (more on that later).* My match with Buck was one of the most enjoyable days of golf that I will never forget.* It was like a heavyweight boxing match where both of us refused to go down.* But it was much friendlier than that.* We both had our mix of garbage swings as well as great shots and were cheering each other on during the good ones and encouraging each other when we hit bad ones.* It was a match where Buck took a lead, then I went on a* streak and got ahead, then he took the lead again, and I was grinding trying to get it back.* Somewhere on the back 9 I realized my back/body were exhausted and I was running on energy drinks and adrenaline and looking around I realized I was not alone.* BoilerCLE was an amazing teammate during that 18 holes.* He kept encouraging me and letting me know that the two of us could secure much needed points for the team and create the momentum we needed.* We were both grinding and he had been down the entire day.* I found a way to stay in it with a couple holes left even though the best I could do was pull out a tie.* On 16 I hit a thin shot from the right rough that went into the crap in front of the green.* I didn't want to give up a hole so I went into the mess and hacked it out and fortunately Buck got a picture of me in it.* (A quick note on the Puma gear.. Both the shoes and the pants rinsed clean after being in that muck.. Whatever coating they use is amazing).* I won hole `17 and went to `18 down 1 with one to play.* BoilerCLE was also down one with one to play and at no time did he ever think about giving up.* Regardless of what Phoffer did, he stayed positive and played his game.* Phoffer played a great final round of golf and played much better than his handicap.* The two of them also had a slugfest going that was enjoyable to watch firsthand.**

On 17 we learned that the Hackers had gotten the points needed to win the Morgan Cup.* That's when the emotions started to hit as I realized the event was ending far too soon.* I stood on the 18th tee needing to win the hole for a tie in the match and I hit a legitimately bad shot.* I topped a 3-wood into the crap right off the tee and realied I was going to have to hit another ball off the tee.* I thought for a second about switching to driver and trying to get on the par 5 in two but that would have been a mistake.* Instead I hit a good 3 wood, then after 2 iron shots found myself sitting 5 on the green pin high right with a putt for bogey whereas Buck had played the whole very professionally and was on the front in 3 with a long putt for birdie.* I conceded and congratulated him on both the match and on his team winning the Cup then watched BoilerCLE win the final hole to earn a half after being down the entire day.* His performance was incredible. The emotions were flowing as we got team pictures, congratulated the Hackers, and felt like we had let Jose down.* All of a sudden we were told to get in our carts and head to one of the tees.* When we got there we were introduced to Mark Messier who wanted to get a picture with us and shake our hands.* I was blown away at how genuinely nice he was and how surreal of a moment it was.*

We then rushed back to the houses to get quick showers and get packed up.* We were catching a later ferry than we had initially planned but I was determined to try to make the 7+ hour trek home that night.* Fortunately with my new job I haven't had to travel much for work and my time away had been tough on my oldest daughter.* During my final round she had been exchanging texts with me (from my wife's phone) letting me know she was missing me.* All of a sudden the texts stopped as my wife took the phone away and later in the round I got a handful of texts from her using my mom's phone until my wife shut that down as well.* I had told her that I was going to try to get home that night and if she woke up and saw my car in the driveway that she had my permission to wake me up at 9:00 in the morning and the whole day would be spent hanging out with her and my other two little ones.**

We got our stuff loaded up and all headed to the Embarkation pier and were all talking / signing Haig Point flags / enjoying the last bit of time we had before the ferry arrived.* One flag might have blown off the pier and had to be retrieved from the marsh.* OITW was announced as the MVP and we all congratulated him.* He is a deserving choice who really represented THP and Cobra well.* He sets the bar high for engaging with the forum as well as the guys there at the event and one day I will have to get a course on using filters from him and Canadan.* While we were on the pier Mark Messier was heading to his boat on an adjacent pier and started yelling over to us telling us we had to come back.. He's such a good guy and it was unreal.**

One of the big things that stood out was the quality captains that both teams had.* Of course both teams wanted to win but Canadan and JDtox set the bar high as for what it means to be a THP captain.* At times the two of them seemed more like brothers than competitors and they truly displayed what these events are all about.* They went out of their way to get to know each person from both teams and always had smiles on their faces.* There was always the friendly trash-talking but it was clear that they were enjoying every moment of it and not taking it too serious.* If you are every fortunate to be chosen to lead a team then I would highly encourage you to reach out to these two.*

As we boarded the ferry we realized that the luggage from the captains' house had not made it onto the ferry so Canadan, JDtox, Campilobaxter, and OITW stayed at the pier waiting for their stuff and caught the following ferry.* On the ride back across there were dolphins in the water and I captured a quick video for my daughter who loves all animals.* We continued to have conversations but it was clear that all of us were realizing that we were leaving paradise and that the event was over. I had a long night of driving ahead of me and I wasn't sure if I could make it all the way back to Virginia or if I would have to crash in a hotel along the way.* It was around then that I remembered that JDax/e1iterate/Chef would do a final recap video so I reached out to JDax to let him know I would happily call in if they had any questions.* There reasons were partly selfish.* I had a long drive home and it would help me to stay awake.* I also wanted to share this experience to help anyone who was on the fence about participating in these events to realize how amazing they are.* And finally, I didn't want to be alone with the thoughts/memories/emotional roller coaster that was sure to occur during the 7+ hour drive.**

When the ferry docked we loaded our stuff and I helped shuttle people to their hotels and then to dinner.* While dropping them off I saw JDtox, Canadan, Campilobaxter, and OITW walking up. I got a chance to say quick goodbyes and they all wanted to make sure I could get back safely. I let them know that I would stop at a hotel if I started getting tired and they wanted me to message them when I was home (or in a hotel) safely.* I had a quick exchange with OITW which I'll never forget.. he is a genuinely good guy and I appreciated the kind words. I started my long drive home and their may have been a sketchy stop along the way at the only fireworks store open at 9:55pm.. but that's a story for another time.* We couldn't make a cell phone call-in work with Google Hangouts for the JDax/e1iterate/Critter recap so we postponed that conversation.* As I drove home it was one memory after another and it was an emotional ride.* Somehow between coffee,*sunflower seeds, and the vivid memories I arrived at my house around 3:30am.* I dragged my bags into the garage and made my way up to bed.* I sent a message to the guys and got an immediate reply from them.* I don't know if they were still up hanging out or if they were waiting to make sure I was in safe but either way I was shocked to get an immediate response.*At 9am I woke to hear my 3 kids charging up the stairs. I had a great (but tired) day with the kids which helped keep my mind off of the post-event depression that was setting in.* Now that a good amount of time has passed I am still sharing the memories of the event with coworkers and golfing partners who see my bag and clubs.* We still have our team text chat going strong and I'm glad for the new brothers I've gained.* JB, GG, Jose, Yags, Rachel.. I cannot thank you guys enough.. that was absolute perfection and I look forward to seeing how you improve on this!!*
412e9025d28501ff308a3232bdc49031.jpg
87068c116b96ac441a57d34793dfb9f8.jpg
4e4df01caceffcdea1a742489adaff15.jpg
476a4df63a0a88e5792f5a07728a94d5.jpg
4ff11d2e77e93235ca6eca3d16249f96.jpg
6d85fd4b27624f98c3a39d755d0f0063.jpg
3fa53a6bdd772662dc8d1dab3dd35f80.jpg
a65fa037f89341c4fbf9199bef5b2232.jpg
2968905bceb9de4f24b34a2e84dbe27f.jpg

This picture... so glad it was captured. My brother.
I got the card from my nikon camera back and fortunately they were able to recover the pictures and videos that were corrupted. I will start getting those uploaded as well!

Back