LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2019 The Grandaddy with Callaway Golf

This has been a great thread. I am really happy that you guys got to experience this together and forge friendships. A lot of pressure but a lot more fun and camaraderie. It comes through loud and clear on the updates. Looking forward to hearing your reviews in the near future.

In again before page 200.

It has been fun following!!!!

Apparently Sean Toulon is a prophet. Throwing that carrot out there knowing he would never have to pay that debt!

Amazing event with amazing companies, amazing location and most importantly amazing people!
Now that I look back and that, he didn't seem too concerned when he threw that out there did he? Lol.

Excellent Day 1 Recap by my Thursday cart partner @zbeekner4. The backpack full of Callaway and Travis Mathew gear that we received was very impressive. I love the Travis Mathew polo's and pullover's but I could not believe how nice that teal Callaway Polo was. Learning about the 2020 product line was great, @DNevsCG did a great job going thru the entire lineup. He was excited about the 2020 fairway woods and I understood why after hitting it the next day. I hit crazy long bombs with that 3wood!!

After the presentation at the dinner we had at Callaway headquarters we got to meet the whole Zoo Crew. It was great to chat with them and put a face with the name. We were all tired from a long day of travel so we headed to the hotel early but Jrod hijacked us and made us eat In and Out burger. It was a great first day and although I was tired it was hard to sleep anticipating the awesomeness that was coming the next day.

My wife says, "what do you plan on doing with all of this stuff?"

I'm all like, "just stare at it?"

20191207_172743.jpg

Man. Finally caught up haha. Been trying to get in here on and off today. Wish I would have kept going live following but been going through some stuff personally.

any who, this is always so much fun and awe inspiring to follow. From the participants, to callaway, to JB and Morgan, to all the followers here, this event is damn special and really creates something many social networks strive for, but can’t duplicate.

I’m stoked for its return. Whether or not I am lucky/fortunate enough to get a spot, it really doesn’t matter because the the first week of December is freaking amazing here and no matter where you’re seat is, you’re a part of something great.

Question for those that did not get fit into the new irons. What was the main reason? Was it looks, launch, yardages, or just personal preference? If you can answer that is.

Anyone have to pay baggage overweight fees? Haha

Question for those that did not get fit into the new irons. What was the main reason? Was it looks, launch, yardages, or just personal preference? If you can answer that is.

They all have their own characteristics. They were trying to get us in the best possible bag.

I told the fitter that I currently game apex combo set and didn’t want to get the same clubs. We started with one of the new irons and while they were decent numbers, he didn’t love my launch and spin with them. Numbers were similar with Epic Forged, and they are easier to bend, so we went that route.

Man I can’t wait to talk about the new stuff. So much heat coming next year.
I remember last year and we were itching at the bit to get to talk to the forum and everyone else about the tech and post pics.

1. I was fit into the new irons, but they were out of stock, so have Epic Forged. They'll send out the new ones when they get more in stock.

2. No fees. I flew Southwest. ;)

I’m curious to hear what you guys thought of the Dye course. There’s a Pete Dye course here in STL called Old Hickory that is in fantastic shape and it’s a great experience but... man, Dye’s design was downright mean. Stuff like putting a waste area that drops 15 feet about 260 out in the fairway and you can’t see it from the tee box at all... lots of hidden hazards and stuff you’d never know unless you’d played there before.
I used to be a member at Old Hickory. It was designed by PB Dye, the son of Pete Dye that designed the course at The Hideaway.

I thought about stealing your bag after the round and just quitting that job. ? Those are so sick. Bag looks like a jewelry box. I play mp-18mb 5-pw from couple years back. Those you just got are something else. When I cleaned them, I could see my face in em. Pure little divots too. I should have asked to stripe one off those pure fairways. You’re match was so close, I forgot to. Just like you, I play them for predictability. Maybe some feel on mishits, but nobody wants to feel those anyways and pure shots feel good off any club, in my opinion.

hahah! Blades are just so much fun to hit. Aim small miss small and it helped improved my swing this year. (I started with srixon z forged then mizuno mb 20 and now this). My game has improved significantly just because of better predictability and control. The apex mb profile is just my favorite out of the bunch to look down on.

17th hole was a big pressure hole for me. Match on the line, water left half of the entire hole, and I mishit a bit from the pressure and it went for a drink. Such an intimidatingly beautiful hole. At least the line was going straight towards the hole. :ROFLMAO: Would have love to have the match come down to the beautiful 18 hole. I know @TylerSheanCG would have loved that too.

so glad to have met you. Such a blast ?

Last edited:
My fitting results:
Driver- ‘20 offering 9* turned down to 8* with 5g hot melt in toe and GD IZ 7x
FW - ‘20 offering 3+ with GD IZ 8x
UT - X Forged 19* UT with KBS Proto 105x
Irons - Apex 4, Apex Pro 5-PW KBS 125 s+
Wedges - Jaws 50*, 54*, 58* s400 tour issue
Putter - ‘20 offering SL

View attachment 8917241

Ready for Lunch!

Slight change to my setup as we actually went with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue x100 shafts in the Apex 4 and Apex Pro 5-PW.

Last edited:

I was excited to hit the 2020 irons and was surprised that I ended up with the Apex Pro's. I finished my putter fitting pretty quickly and moved out to the range to hit the new irons while I waited for my fitter to finish the fitting before me. I was hitting very nice shots with them so when my fitting started I told him I like them, lets pick a shaft. He asked me a few questions about what I am playing currently while he tried some different shafts in the 2020 irons. After he put me in the Modus 120 shafts I thought we were done but he swapped me into the Apex and finally into the Apex Pro's. I did not look at the trackman numbers I just kept hitting shots that felt better and better until they felt PERFECT!! I am glad that I trusted the fitter and my swing held up during the fitting.

Well guys, I FINALLY caught up and I’m in awe of the quality of updates. You all killed it and I love you all for it. Incredible. Amazing. What a few days - thanks for taking me with you even if I was a few days late.

Sorry if this was asked already but for the guys that got epic forged irons what shafts did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Recoil 95's F3. I didn't like the steel fiber feel. I am familiar with Recoils as I have played them for 3-4 years. They are plenty good and you can flight the ball down if needed.

Recoil 95's F3. I didn't like the steel fiber feel. I am familiar with Recoils as I have played them for 3-4 years. They are plenty good and you can flight the ball down if needed.

Going to be a great setup for you all year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was excited to hit the 2020 irons and was surprised that I ended up with the Apex Pro's. I finished my putter fitting pretty quickly and moved out to the range to hit the new irons while I waited for my fitter to finish the fitting before me. I was hitting very nice shots with them so when my fitting started I told him I like them, lets pick a shaft. He asked me a few questions about what I am playing currently while he tried some different shafts in the 2020 irons. After he put me in the Modus 120 shafts I thought we were done but he swapped me into the Apex and finally into the Apex Pro's. I did not look at the trackman numbers I just kept hitting shots that felt better and better until they felt PERFECT!! I am glad that I trusted the fitter and my swing held up during the fitting.
Having my swing hold up during the session would have been my worry as well. I did a fitting couple months ago and it was a train wreck aside from the driver part of the fitting. :dohanim:

Back