LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2019 The Grandaddy with Callaway Golf

@JB can you dump all the awesome pics with the clubs disappeared / blurred out tomorrow??

Tomorrow is a bit of a hectic day, but there will be some for sure.

Just dusted my old photography gear off in preparation for tomorrow. Threw this together real quick. It would be a shame not to.

1578949263792.png

Just dusted my old photography gear off in preparation for tomorrow. Threw this together real quick. It would be a shame not to.

View attachment 8922343

YOu've created desktop and phone backgrounds for a lot of people with this one.

Day 4 - Singles Match Recap

I woke up that day realizing that I had to pack up everything as we would be heading home after our last day at the Hideaway. It was a sad feeling after realizing how fast everything happened. I felt pretty good that morning after 5 hours of sleep...the most I’ve had during that week. It was going to be a great day with the weather in the high 60’s, which felt like a heat wave for me being from northern Ohio.

IMG_1700.jpeg

IMG_1706.jpeg

IMG_1709.jpeg

We hopped on the bus and got to the course and of course, I had my usual for breakfast - more sliders. Then I raided the pro shop for a few items. A hat, rain jacket, and the yardage ball marker. I was ready to hit the range to iron out some kinks and felt good after warming up.

I was paired with @j_sizzle9 and I was taking on the one and only, @TylerSheanCG . I knew he was a bomber and a 2 handicap and he got 1 pop on me, so I knew it would be a fantastic match.

IMG_1719.jpeg

I hit a high fade on the first hole that landed in the fairway roughly 290 yards. Tylers shot went a bit left towards trouble but was still playable. I won that hole with a bogey to his double. Not the start we wanted but I’ll take it. Next few holes were rough for me because I was on a bogey train that I needed to get off. Now Tyler was up 1 through 7 as we approached the par 5 530 yards. I hit a 285 yard drive that felt like a lazy duck hook into the rough which I had about 250 yards for a second shot. I bust out my super hybrid, not sure what to expect with it. I generally hate hybrids because I always go too far left….but this was promising during my fitting.

I was in the rough, so I felt it would rocket out, and I choked down a bit and wanted to hit a fade. I swung and looked up expecting it to go left, but no..it started left of the green where I aimed and cut 5 yards onto the green, landing me about 15 feet for an eagle.

IMG_1735.jpeg

This putt had a slight break right to left, I aimed right edge and made my stroke...it was right on line, like it was about to go in...then within a couple feet, it slowed down and ran out of steam, short by a half inch. Dammit!! A tap in brought my match all squared.

I was constantly blown away by the views on this course. It was absolutely breathtaking. Below are some few shots. I advice 2020 Grandaddy participates to have your phone in your back pocket to be ready to snap the photos.

IMG_1747.jpeg

IMG_1756.jpeg
IMG_1771.jpeg

From here on out, its been a battle between me and Tyler. Up and down, back and forth….all the way until the 17th hole par 3 with the water literally half of the hole on the left side. It was 198 yards and I went with a 6 iron to try to go right at the pin in the middle of the green. But the pressure got to me and tighten up my swing and half the ball was on the grooves and the other half was on the toe (non grooves). It was going right at the flag, but I immediately knew after impact, the ball was going into the water and it did. If it connected on the middle of the club, it would be on the green for sure.

Tyler then, hit his shot next...a high draw that landed about 12 feet from the hole. At that point I knew it was over, but I also knew I had a chance to try to hole it out from the drop area. It was close and I landed it almost a foot from the hole, but he made par and I made bogey and it was match 2 and 1. I wished it would’ve came down to the 18th hole. It was such a beautiful hole and would have been awesome to battle it out on that hole.

IMG_1765.jpeg

@TylerSheanGC is a great golfer and a long hitter. I kept up with him the best I could. I won a few drives, he won the most. It was fun to watch him hit the ball and he was just a great guy to play with, I hope to get a rematch one day!

My man @j_sizzle9 was on fire that day. That dude has game and is fun to watch with his approach shots and putting. He won his match against Jeff Neuberth. It was such a day of golf with them and our host Lars was fantastic. He hits the ball dead center every time.

IMG_1776.jpeg

After all was done, it was a somber feeling that it was coming to an end as we embark on the bus to head back to the hotel in Carlsbad. We took the short scenery route up the mountains. I chatted with Ethan most of the ride back. Such a great guy and as a creative guy, I love his vision for what's to come for this lineup. I hope to play with him one day soon.

We arrived at Callaways HQ to dropped off the Zoo Crew team and we help them unload their bags. At that point, it hit us that it was over. We formed a priceless bond with the Zoo Crew, we felt like we’ve known them forever and it was such a blast getting to know them and what they do at Callaway. We said our goodbyes and it felt emotional. We head back to our hotel and dropped our bags off to our rooms and came back to the lobby to recap and chat some more with @JB and everyone.

Soon after that, one by one, we all went to our rooms to get ready to sleep and fly home the next day. I was on the shuttle with @clarkgriswold, @HarryPotter, @bigskyirish, and @zeebekner at 5am and flying back with Clark, HarryPotter and Zeebekner to Chicago airport before getting home to Cleveland. All 4 of us enjoyed a quick lunch together at the airport and chat about the whole experience. Then it was time for me to head home to cleveland...I was ready to get home to my kids and my wife. I had missed them so much and it was the longest I’ve ever been away from them.

IMG_1791.jpeg

When I got home, I walked into the door with the biggest hugs from my kids and they made my a sign below that was just a perfect way to end the trip:

IMG_1796.jpeg

Final Thoughts to come.

Attachments

• IMG_1721.jpeg
    IMG_1721.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1775.jpeg
    IMG_1775.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 7
Day 4 - Singles Match Recap

I woke up that day realizing that I had to pack up everything as we would be heading home after our last day at the Hideaway. It was a sad feeling after realizing how fast everything happened. I felt pretty good that morning after 5 hours of sleep...the most I’ve had during that week. It was going to be a great day with the weather in the high 60’s, which felt like a heat wave for me being from northern Ohio.

View attachment 8922371

View attachment 8922372

View attachment 8922373

We hopped on the bus and got to the course and of course, I had my usual for breakfast - more sliders. Then I raided the pro shop for a few items. A hat, rain jacket, and the yardage ball marker. I was ready to hit the range to iron out some kinks and felt good after warming up.

I was paired with @j_sizzle9 and I was taking on the one and only, @TylerSheanCG . I knew he was a bomber and a 2 handicap and he got 1 pop on me, so I knew it would be a fantastic match.

View attachment 8922374

I hit a high fade on the first hole that landed in the fairway roughly 290 yards. Tylers shot went a bit left towards trouble but was still playable. I won that hole with a bogey to his double. Not the start we wanted but I’ll take it. Next few holes were rough for me because I was on a bogey train that I needed to get off. Now Tyler was up 1 through 7 as we approached the par 5 530 yards. I hit a 285 yard drive that felt like a lazy duck hook into the rough which I had about 250 yards for a second shot. I bust out my super hybrid, not sure what to expect with it. I generally hate hybrids because I always go too far left….but this was promising during my fitting.

I was in the rough, so I felt it would rocket out, and I choked down a bit and wanted to hit a fade. I swung and looked up expecting it to go left, but no..it started left of the green where I aimed and cut 5 yards onto the green, landing me about 15 feet for an eagle.

View attachment 8922376

This putt had a slight break right to left, I aimed right edge and made my stroke...it was right on line, like it was about to go in...then within a couple feet, it slowed down and ran out of steam, short by a half inch. Dammit!! A tap in brought my match all squared.

I was constantly blown away by the views on this course. It was absolutely breathtaking. Below are some few shots. I advice 2020 Grandaddy participates to have your phone in your back pocket to be ready to snap the photos.

View attachment 8922377

View attachment 8922378
View attachment 8922379

From here on out, its been a battle between me and Tyler. Up and down, back and forth….all the way until the 17th hole par 3 with the water literally half of the hole on the left side. It was 198 yards and I went with a 6 iron to try to go right at the pin in the middle of the green. But the pressure got to me and tighten up my swing and half the ball was on the grooves and the other half was on the toe (non grooves). It was going right at the flag, but I immediately knew after impact, the ball was going into the water and it did. If it connected on the middle of the club, it would be on the green for sure.

Tyler then, hit his shot next...a high draw that landed about 12 feet from the hole. At that point I knew it was over, but I also knew I had a chance to try to hole it out from the drop area. It was close and I landed it almost a foot from the hole, but he made par and I made bogey and it was match 2 and 1. I wished it would’ve came down to the 18th hole. It was such a beautiful hole and would have been awesome to battle it out on that hole.

View attachment 8922381

@TylerSheanGC is a great golfer and a long hitter. I kept up with him the best I could. I won a few drives, he won the most. It was fun to watch him hit the ball and he was just a great guy to play with, I hope to get a rematch one day!

My man @j_sizzle9 was on fire that day. That dude has game and is fun to watch with his approach shots and putting. He won his match against Jeff Neuberth. It was such a day of golf with them and our host Lars was fantastic. He hits the ball dead center every time.

View attachment 8922383

After all was done, it was a somber feeling that it was coming to an end as we embark on the bus to head back to the hotel in Carlsbad. We took the short scenery route up the mountains. I chatted with Ethan most of the ride back. Such a great guy and as a creative guy, I love his vision for what's to come for this lineup. I hope to play with him one day soon.

We arrived at Callaways HQ to dropped off the Zoo Crew team and we help them unload their bags. At that point, it hit us that it was over. We formed a priceless bond with the Zoo Crew, we felt like we’ve known them forever and it was such a blast getting to know them and what they do at Callaway. We said our goodbyes and it felt emotional. We head back to our hotel and dropped our bags off to our rooms and came back to the lobby to recap and chat some more with @JB and everyone.

Soon after that, one by one, we all went to our rooms to get ready to sleep and fly home the next day. I was on the shuttle with @clarkgriswold, @HarryPotter, @bigskyirish, and @zeebekner at 5am and flying back with Clark, HarryPotter and Zeebekner to Chicago airport before getting home to Cleveland. All 4 of us enjoyed a quick lunch together at the airport and chat about the whole experience. Then it was time for me to head home to cleveland...I was ready to get home to my kids and my wife. I had missed them so much and it was the longest I’ve ever been away from them.

View attachment 8922385

When I got home, I walked into the door with the biggest hugs from my kids and they made my a sign below that was just a perfect way to end the trip:

View attachment 8922384

Final Thoughts to come.
Great recap, my dude. It was so fun being out there with you, but also ?, I wish I could be so good at golf and make it look so easy ?

You never say goodbye to #TheGrandaddy, it's until next time. Not necessarily in the physical sense, but emotionally or from a memory. This event, like many other THP Experiences, changes you if you humble yourself. We all are attracted by the equipment, but the people make these experiences what they are. The people make us reminisce about anything and everything that happened. That is a great testament to @JB & @GolferGal building a community many of can call home.

I've been trying to find a way to say thank you to @McLovin @radiman @zbeekner4 @tomcat @badolds @HarryPotter @JMB3 @clarkgriswold @NoShanks @j_sizzle9 @bigskyirish & @Snickerdoodle for putting up with me and my unconventional emotional attachment to this event. This event is coming back and it's the collective effort of these 12 amazing THPers that made that possible. They are all knee deep in phase 3 of their responsibilities with equipment reviews, but I hope they, and the rest of the community, takes the time to watch this video. For me it's the perfect way to say Thank You.
#TheGrandaddy 2019

Last edited:
@mikeg_74 I enjoyed the **** out of that. Thank you for putting that together.

You never say goodbye to #TheGrandaddy, it's until next time. Not necessarily in the physical sense, but emotionally or from a memory. This event, like many other THP Experiences, changes you if you humble yourself. We all are attracted by the equipment, but the people make these experiences what they are. The people make us reminisce about anything and everything that happened. That is a great testament to @JB & @GolferGal building a community many of can call home.

I've been trying to find a way to say thank you to @McLovin @radiman @zbeekner4 @tomcat @badolds @HarryPotter @JMB3 @clarkgriswold @NoShanks @j_sizzle9 @bigskyirish & @Snickerdoodle for putting up with me and my unconventional emotional attachment to this event. This event is coming back and it's the collective effort of these 12 amazing THPers that made that possible. They are all knee deep in phase 3 of their responsibilities with equipment reviews, but I hope they, and the rest of the community, takes the time to watch this video. For me it's the perfect way to say Thank You.

*****I'm not a professional and did my best to capture our time our in California. If you don't like it, there is a red "X" in the upper left hand corner of your browser, feel free to click on it.*****

#TheGrandaddy 2019

You captured exactly what this is all about. It was a honor to have you as our Ass. Cap and thank you for guiding us and giving us all the knowledge you had. You gave us an idea of what to expect, but it was still blown away. The plane ride home being able to be seated next to you and gain some more insight and personal knowledge capped it off for me.
You are what all Ass. Caps should strive to be.
It was an honor and I am proud to be able to call you a friend and a brother.
Thanks Mike.

@mikeg_74 My friend.. That was so well done. You should be super proud of the job you did.

You were the perfect pick to represent THP for this event. You just get it...

*****I'm not a professional and did my best to capture our time our in California. If you don't like it, there is a red "X" in the upper left hand corner of your browser, feel free to click on it.*****

#TheGrandaddy 2019

That is incredibly Mike!! Very well done!!

You captured exactly what this is all about. It was a honor to have you as our Ass. Cap and thank you for guiding us and giving us all the knowledge you had. You gave us an idea of what to expect, but it was still blown away. The plane ride home being able to be seated next to you and gain some more insight and personal knowledge capped it off for me.
You are what all Ass. Caps should strive to be.
It was an honor and I am proud to be able to call you a friend and a brother.
Thanks Mike.
@mikeg_74 My friend.. That was so well done. You should be super proud of the job you did.

You were the perfect pick to represent THP for this event. You just get it...
That is incredibly Mike!! Very well done!!

Thanks guys. Like I said this event never goes away, it's always there waiting to be relived.

#TheGrandaddy 2019

I love this guy! You nailed it. Everything about your role this year was nailed.

#TheGrandaddy 2019

Awesome job all around, brother! ?

#ForeverGrateful

So great to read through, watch, and look at these comments, pics, and vids. Definitely makes some of us jealous and hoping for chance to part of one of these experiences. Thanks for posting.

Back