LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2019 The Grandaddy with Callaway Golf

Did you use either FWs off the tee much? Off the deck how was the turf interaction for you?
I will use the 3w off the tee not the 5w. I will hit both off the fairway and had not issues at all with the tight lies of the Hideaway. They launch easy, and had not issues of them digging into the turf at all but I am a sweeper on the fairways. I have never had an issue hitting a fairway off the deck.
I hit a 3W from 217 to an elevated green and had it hold the green in Cali.
At my home course on the dormant zoysia it has not been an issue at all with the turf.
Easy to move the ball either way..
I have standard 3+ and SZ 5W

What bounce did you choose? How would you describe the feel of the wedges? What sort of spin did you typically see with a normal wedge shot?

gerritt at ecpc chose the bounce for me. I told him about my struggles around greens, and that I had MD4 W for a little while in early 2019 but struggled a lot. so we needed help/forgiveness with higher bounce, but the W grind might not be the right choice. so he reached for the x grind. he had me hit little 40 yard pitches, and with the first shot he goes "oh, nice." then I hit a few more, and the contact was superlative. crisp, fast through the turf, and spinny as all hell. he had me hit some full swing shots, and a couple other types of shots and said that's the one.

on day 1 at the hideaway, I wanted to spend time practicing different wedge shots, and I was floored by how cleanly the club was working for me. and on the course, I saw more of the same. it was outstanding, and made me so happy as someone who had been struggling so badly throughout the year. day 2, my warmup was unfortunately a big step back and I saw what I had been dealing with earlier in the year. maybe no quite as bad, but not as good as what I brought to the course on day 1.

back here at home with less perfect turf, it's still been much better than anything I had going for me last year. it's so much technique-driven, and something I am still working to overcome, BUT the x grind has been freaking awesome to give me help where I need it.

spin is extraordinary. i'm of the belief that most wedges will spin, since spin is so much more technique than it is wedge design. that said, I've seen this wedges spin like nothing I've ever gamed before. I really do think there's something to the groove design.

You’ve tried a lot of wedges dude, happy you found the right thing in paradise

gerritt at ecpc chose the bounce for me. I told him about my struggles around greens, and that I had MD4 W for a little while in early 2019 but struggled a lot. so we needed help/forgiveness with higher bounce, but the W grind might not be the right choice. so he reached for the x grind. he had me hit little 40 yard pitches, and with the first shot he goes "oh, nice." then I hit a few more, and the contact was superlative. crisp, fast through the turf, and spinny as all hell. he had me hit some full swing shots, and a couple other types of shots and said that's the one.

on day 1 at the hideaway, I wanted to spend time practicing different wedge shots, and I was floored by how cleanly the club was working for me. and on the course, I saw more of the same. it was outstanding, and made me so happy as someone who had been struggling so badly throughout the year. day 2, my warmup was unfortunately a big step back and I saw what I had been dealing with earlier in the year. maybe no quite as bad, but not as good as what I brought to the course on day 1.

back here at home with less perfect turf, it's still been much better than anything I had going for me last year. it's so much technique-driven, and something I am still working to overcome, BUT the x grind has been freaking awesome to give me help where I need it.

spin is extraordinary. i'm of the belief that most wedges will spin, since spin is so much more technique than it is wedge design. that said, I've seen this wedges spin like nothing I've ever gamed before. I really do think there's something to the groove design.
This..... this is what I need from wedges!

You’ve tried a lot of wedges dude, happy you found the right thing in paradise

i feel attacked haha jk i know what you’re saying and you’re 100% correct. i’ve been trying to find something to give me the help where i need it. much like maximum forgiveness drivers, nothing is going to mask a god awful swing. wedges are no different. but the x grind has given me the opportunity to hit some really nice shots where maybe in the past other designs worked against me. stop me if you’ve heard this before, but those guys at ecpc are the best at their craft.

I won't go into details, but @DNevsCG just made my head explode. The extent to which Callaway goes for this community, and the members of the Grandaddy, never ceases to amaze me. I don't have the words to express my gratitude for what he and every member of the Zoo Crew has and continues to do for my team and this entire community.

I won't go into details, but @DNevsCG just made my head explode. The extent to which Callaway goes for this community, and the members of the Grandaddy, never ceases to amaze me. I don't have the words to express my gratitude for what he and every member of the Zoo Crew has and continues to do for my team and this entire community.

I am not sure the level of investment Callaway makes in THPers can be overstated

Did you use the hybrid off the tee at all? How would you describe sound of the driver?
So I never needed it off the tee. The fairways are fairly deep at the hideaway and I only remember one hole that I didn’t use a driver or 3wood and I used my x-forged UT.

The sound of any driver is hard to describe but it’s a deeper “thwack” that sounds very solid. different enough so guys who didn’t love the EF will enjoy the change but similar enough where homers won’tfeel abandoned. Hope that helps paint a better picture?

You guys have been killing it on the updates, bravo!

You guys have been killing it on the updates, bravo!
Agreed. The threads for the new gear reviews are great as well.

I ? that @DNevsCG guy and the rest of the Zoo Crew. :cool:

@DNevsCG has been awesome. I feel like he's as much a golf nerd as the rest of us.

That's the best part. SUPER generous and makes you feel right at home as an internet golfer. That's a stellar guy right there.

Did we ever get a release date on the new ball(s)?

2 Things.
A) I’m very excited to see what this new ball holds for us. Some things that have been said around it and something @JB said (“The year of the ball’) make me think this could be a VERY interesting release.

B) That gif coming from you....just a little terrifying. :ROFLMAO:

Gosh, watching the Amex really makes me miss being in the desert.

Back