LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2019 Ultimate Weekend of Golf with True Temper

HONMA XP-1 IRONS

Shafts: :TrueTemper: DG95

Grip: Lamkin TS1

Makeup: 5i-11i

The best part about this set is the naming convention of the PW (10i) and GW (11i)

Who doesn’t want to game a 10 or 11i?

I spent some time with these on the range on Saturday and I also spent a good amount of time during the round Saturday as well.

I was a little concerned about the :TrueTemper: DG95 not being enough for me. I was Wrong. No issues gaming this combo.

Was fine on the range hitting some great mid high to high shots throughout the bag.

Entire 18 these were great off the tee. Best shot of the round was a 205 yard 6i off the tee on a Par 3 Well struck shots distance exceeded F9 irons.

View attachment 8912829Sound was fine off the deck, off the tees and that longest shot of the round above, well that one didn’t sound good at all, however feel was really nice.

Highly recommend these for anyone in that category. Don’t sleep on these - they look fantastic, maintain a smaller topline, but have a nice wide sole that helps with turf interaction on approach shots.

Enjoyed the Lamkin TS1 grips on these as well. Especially when the conditions got really wet and we needed that extra grip help.

View attachment 8912827
You are going to make me acquire a set of Honma, Arent you?! Those sure sound great

I think these would be perfect for you.
I think they surprised a lot of the guys.

which models should I hunt down in December? My local golf galaxy is all in on honma but I’ll have to drive over an hour so I’m hoping for some guidance to maximize the trip

I thought the Honma’s were real nice. If they were on a similar price range than the Cobra or Cleveland sets then we’d be REALLY talking. Just my opinion of course.

In an event where we got to choose and $ was no object, it didn’t surprise me they went fairly quick.

which models should I hunt down in December? My local golf galaxy is all in on honma but I’ll have to drive over an hour so I’m hoping for some guidance to maximize the trip
XP-1 was what we had to test

Cobra King Forged Tec ;)

Finally having time to get to my notes after getting home. I was able to catch up with the airlines driving back up to JAX and got my flight rescheduled from Monday am to late evening Sunday. Mama was glad i got in too, so there that.

MAN what a weekend and really enjoyed having OITW, Stemmy and obedt for Villa mates. OITW did amazing things with the drinks and our decorating was on point.

Saturday morning was a quick breakfast at the shack by the range and then off to do some testing....I had my favorites and some things i wanted to hit for sure.

I started with the Mizuno MP-20's and I did that for a reason, I have a set and i wanted to groove my swing with something familiar. These had the Dynamic GoldS300 in them. they had a great flight and the stiff shaft gave me a definite kick to the launch. Like playing a round with and old friend. It was what i expected and i was able to hit 20-25 balls with the 7, 5 and 9 irons to get started.

I moved to the Taylormade P790's with Dynamic Gold 105 S300's which were another I definitely wanted to try. The hollow body had a great feel to them and a more piercing ball flight for me. I was a able to flight these quite well and by changing the ball position a little, i could get it well into the air or play it like a bullet, A great plus with the S300 in the Taylormade was the addition of the VSS. Vibration Suppression System to reduce unwanted vibrations during contact.

Then I picked up the Cleveland UHX with he Elevate Tour S300 with VSS - Holy Moley! I was not prepared for the response of this combination. The Elevate Tour shafts are straight MONEY......THe ball jumped off these irons for me like a rocket. I did not realize obedt was right behind me until he said something like "crap Donny, that was a bullet" okay, maybe he did not say Crap....I will say that about every couple of sets i tried, i went back for more UHX....this was the first iron i took to the Launch Monitor. My swing speed was good, ball speed better and it was going 167 to 170 yards a pop.

Then I saw the Wilson C300 With the DG 105 R300 in Black. I loved the irons, the shaft was a little too soft for me. I slowed the swing speed down a bit and focused more on hitting the ball in the center of the club face and DAMN, the ball jumped. I was sorely surprised. Scott had been talking Friday evening about taking the laser shaft and swinging smooth and doing better and voila, I had it in my hands. The 105 was just little too light for my tastes but i could see doing it in the 120's for sure.

Next up I moved to the Mizuno JPX 919's With The DG 120's in S300. Sweet combo and they were awesome through he set. I found the S300, especially with the VSS were a great shaft for me. The Elevates in the 120 were best, S300 in 120 with VSS were second Best, S300 120s after that. The 919's played well of the Launch Monitor just a few MPH under the UHX's which equated to only a few yards over all.

Then came the Honma XP-1, I really wanted to like these but paired with the DG 95s they were like swinging and brick on a rope. The shaft was way soft for me. I relaxed and tried a few slower swings and the head just didn't do it fo me.

The the i500 Blade from Ping DG S400 These things were awesome when i figured out the swing speed. Vader Picker them during the draft and we played more holes on Sunday. I hit them a few times on the course and they were a good fit for Vader. Not so much for me. I LOVED Nailing the 4 iron off the tee box, but trying to hit a high soft one into a green was not my cup of tea.

Cleveland Turbo's with AMT REDS R300 I gotta say this was not a choice for me. hit it a few times on the Range when someone handed it to me. lol, The ball Jumped of these like crazy. OITW had these Sunday Afternoon and I hit them a few times and then they were just crazy long. With the R300 Shafts in them I had to swing smooth and they dod not take a divot, more of a sweep with them but i was pleasantly surprised with the ball of these. High and soft...great choice OITW.

All in all i love trying the array in different heads....

Dynamic Gold R300 - Regular shafts in 105 an 120 I found that the 120's were better for me and i did not have to make as much of an adjustment from my normal swing to like them.

Dynamic Gold S300 - more what i am used to in a shaft as far as Stiffness and playability. When you pair the VSS with them, they become much more and i seriously don't think i will play another shaft without it.

Elevate Tour S300 with VSS, you may as well have stepped out of our Ford Focus and sat down in the Bentley. There is that much of a difference. I will be definitely be putting a set of them in the Taylormade P790's that i brought home. Can't believe they were still there for me when my pick came around.

Playing on Saturday with @OITW, @mrkich and @+7 KPTT. I took the Cleveland UHX's out for a spin and loved striping 4 irons off most tee boxes. We measured a few and hitting the 4 iron 220 off a tee box was definitely fun. @OITW can play his ball and definitely a lot of fun to hang with, he did most of the posting Saturday while i was driving the cart. and @+7 KPTT was definitely a smoke show. I bow to the Boss, @mrkich doesn't just hit a draw, i think he hit a ball in front of the barn and have it come in the back door if he wanted. We had a blast.

Thank THP for the experience and i will catch up on a few more facts shortly, but i gotta go cut the grass.

Last edited:
Whew what a week... Returned home to a sick baby, and spent most of the week cuddled up with her.

Then of course I got it. lol.

This event was beyond amazing. It was great to see a few familiar faces (we all missed you @MH ), and meet all the new guys. Finally got to play a round with Donny, haha. And, even though I was gassed, it was great fun.

Attached are pics of the i500 vs 718 AP2.

As an aside, I've encountered slow play before, but towards the end of that Sunday extra round, it was unlike anything I've ever seen.

On to the juice;

I came into this event pretty convinced, that if possible, I would definitely be taking home a set of Mizunos. After beginning Saturdays range session drooling over the MMCs, @JB gave everyone the go, and it was on.

I came from MP 53 to 718 AP2, so in my mind, the Mizunos were going to take the honors. I couldn't have been more wrong... After hitting the lineup provided, they just weren't doing it for me. Ball flight was a touch too penetrating for my liking.

I then proceeded to walk the line and just hit random clubs, trying to find something that checked my boxes.

Long story short, I was surprised to hit the Honmas the best. Definitely not what I expected. Lost out on the pick in the range draft tho.

This is where fate took over. During the range session, I didn't even give the i500s the time of day. Hit the I210s and iBlades, which were meh for me.

I ended up with the i500s in my bag for round one. @usaf_giles told me not to write them off, and I rolled my eyes, lol. I planned to play the Forged tech out of @EnglishTurn bag, but after about 3 holes, things changed. The i500 paired with the DG 105 S300 were good. So high (a ball flight I've been chasing) and at least a club, maybe club and a half longer than my AP2s.

I was interested in the 790s as well, and took them out Sun morning along with the i500s. After 3 holes, I passed the 790s back to JB, and informed him, that as the first pick in the draft, I would be selecting the i500s. I couldn't tell if he thought I was joking, or crazy. lol. I didn't need to play anything else, the combo is perfect for my game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To @+7 KPTT and @TT SC Thank you both for this event. I could listed to Scott go down an engineering rabbit hole all night! Keenan, it was a pleasure playing with you Sunday. Also (y) for embracing the claw. lol.

To my villa mates, @usaf_giles, @mrkich, and @TheHammer0711, it was truly a pleasure. My home is open if any of you are ever in the DC area. Hammer, I know we didn't get to spend a lot of time together, but I hope we meet again.

To @OITW, Thanks for everything man, I hope we get to meet again soon. I didn't have anywhere near my best Sunday, hope I didn't embarass myself too much :sick:

@donny475 and @EnglishTurn it was great seeing you guys again, I hope we get to do this again in future events.

@obedt I was never angry or annoyed, lol. That's just the New Englander in me. It was a pleasure my man, I greatly enjoyed our conversations.

@Canadan - It was great to see you again. We didn't have too much interaction, but it's always a pleasure. I'll provide your Monster fix anytime. :ROFLMAO:

To everyone else, when and if any of you are in the Baltimore DC area, hit me up. My door is always open.

And finally:

@JB and @GolferGal - Crushed it again. Thank you so much for this opportunity, there aren't enough words to convey my gratitude. I hope to see JB again soon, and, one day, meet the elusive Morgan. :)

20191028_185158.jpg
20191028_185310.jpg
20191028_185443.jpg

Attachments

• 20191027_115624.jpg
    20191027_115624.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 5
Finally got to play a round with Donny, haha. And, even though I was gassed, it was great fun

True Brother, Two events together and we had to stay and play to get some holes together. No fault of anyone, just how the chips fell. Glad to finally get some hoes with you and you can definitely move the rock when you want to....see at the next one!

True Brother, Two events together and we had to stay and play to get some holes together. No fault of anyone, just how the chips fell. Glad to finally get some hoes with you and you can definitely move the rock when you want to....see at the next one!
Had I know there would be hoes, I would have stuck around!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Had I know there would be hoes, I would have stuck around!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

lol, now where did i put my glasses.....and the autocorrect button

AMT Red Shaft Red & CLEVELAND HB LAUNCHER TURBO Irons

Color:Onyx Black

Flex: R300

Grips: Lamkin TS1

I was lucky enough to receive these in the Cleveland HB Launcher Turbo irons I won(drafted) at the Ultimate Weekend of Golf A couple of weeks ago.

Background:

The heads and shafts weren’t on my radar going into this event. I played GI irons this year and they worked, I wasn’t in love with the performance, it may have been the shaft/head combos. I was leaning toward heavier shafts with a players profile head.

I had a fitting a month ago and I was fit into heavier shafts and a but more of an active tip. That was where my head was at.

The Shaft Performance:

Well fast forward to Sunday at the event- the AMT Red comes in Onyx Black and @Canadan built one hell of an appealing set:

55350F8A-D1F1-445A-9BCE-1E50B386EA6A.jpegFA025A64-170C-4404-A6CC-40BCCC9212D1.jpeg2C019AC5-04BE-4EDE-B017-4EE655ADCDAA.jpeg348E232B-06C6-42B0-AEBA-DF9C4FAE2D4F.jpeg9FEDEAB1-D594-45A0-AB73-4615C4C337C1.jpeg

The shaft head pairing are high launching weapons.

Was seeing nice mid launch (vs low/mid) that I saw with my older irons in the longer clubs - 4-6 and nice mid high/high ball flight with the mid and scoring irons.

Was seeing the ball do this:

7962BEA1-6507-43D8-9B95-B2F02CFE6968.jpegFAC9F651-CF40-43CA-9686-DB1F76EDBBCA.jpeg03FA0AA7-137B-44A7-88FD-B8E194E35BCC.jpeg

Thru the first 7 holes I had 6 GIRs and 7 FIRs

It was point and shoot for me, such an easy boring way to play golf lol

Let’ talk dispersion. Dispersion was fantastic, I was a bit concerned with the profile and these being R flex, but my concern was unfounded. I was able to hit greens and fairways and give myself a chance to score which is all you can ask for.

These checked a lot of boxes for me, performance, looks, feel. Cleveland definitely improved on the original version HB Launcher.

The combo of AMT Red and HB Launcher Turbo is a winning one and if you need higher launch and tight dispersion, I would recommend this combo.247CBB58-ACE7-484B-97B8-EDC57007C4AA.jpeg
? @JB

Attachments

• 07D734EB-7EFD-43D4-A728-97C372050D90.jpeg
    07D734EB-7EFD-43D4-A728-97C372050D90.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 6
  • B04CE2BF-9017-4CEF-8DB8-9488146BAB4D.jpeg
    B04CE2BF-9017-4CEF-8DB8-9488146BAB4D.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 7
  • FD2A6D80-F212-4BE5-A4B0-78A81416DF45.jpeg
    FD2A6D80-F212-4BE5-A4B0-78A81416DF45.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 6
I was able to witness the unveiling of these during the extra holes we played, even hit them a few times and WAS IMPRESSED ! They do launch high and sit soft......great sleepers and a good choice.

Ping iBLADE IRONS

Shafts: :TrueTemper: DG X100

Grip: Stock GP

Makeup: 4i-PW

17F89CF2-A37F-4289-8744-45559F850F2A.jpeg2AE7E5DC-006C-4B9D-B0E3-8CD514A3D0E5.jpeg53E5AC8B-EADB-4B26-BEAB-073F37182FE6.jpegB5C368F7-95BF-45D9-BFD5-417FEB356706.jpeg266B55E2-7EC3-48BB-A878-CA359D03DDBF.jpeg

I did not hit these on the range.

These were in our group on Saturday, I only played them on two holes, I had no thought or plans to even consider taking these home with me.

4 shots shots total - two 4 irons off the tee a 5i in and an 8i in to a green.

2 Fairways no GIRs lol

No issues for me off the tee - low height, we'll call it a stinger shot haha.

Distance was not comparable to the GI or SGI irons I played this weekend, however compared to players cavity and blades it definitely held it's own, actually one of my best distance shots with these type of clubs was off the tee on 7 on the Ocean Course:

C5860F59-AB92-49F1-9DD5-1D4BF54A5746.jpeg

Same turf issues that I saw with other blade/better players clubs - losing shots left when I missed them, which I attributed to my strong grip and having to strengthen it based on the top down profile view. I definitely think it was a struggle for me processing visiually/mentally the different topline views. I don't think my left misses were due to turf interaction like it was with another set of irons.

For better players I think this is a great head/shaft combo.

:TrueTemper: DGX100

@TheHammer0711
That iron thread is hopping. Looking forward to your thoughts in there

AMT Red Review Continued:

Another scramble round in the books with these, iron swing wasn't the strongest, but I was seeing a pretty consistent launch throughout the bag.

Nice Mid/Mid high flight from the 4 through the PW - I definitely attribute that to the variable weighting in the shafts, compared to other shaft/head combos where the long irons were considerably different flight (see lower) than the mid and scoring irons.

I like the consistency that these shafts are showing me with the head. It also doesn't hurt that the heads (all of them) just want to get the ball in the air.

Another interesting take on these, the headweight in the Turbos is 268g (7i) and the headweight of the Cobra F9 7i is 268. These shafts are significantly lighter than the Modus Tour 105 that I have in those, but overall total club weight feels great in both.

Even with the lighter weight and R flex in these - they still are stiff enough that it's not adversely affecting my dispersion.

Lamkin TS1 Continued Thoughts

Another couple of sessions (including a round of golf) with these on the HB Launcher Turbo irons.

I've worn these with my stock Cobra PUR Tour Glove and My Bridgestone Cold weather gloves. With both I've had no issues with grip.

Also the difference in temperature, in the past I've had some grips that with the colder weather has affected the rubber compound and "enhanced" the feedback on poor shots, the cold still enhances the feel, but nothing that is out of the ordinary or adds extra discomfort.

Thrilled with these so far. They were not on my radar, but the fact that I've tried them and had success, I won't be righting them off.

Still love the look of them the Red and Black is ????

Review Part Duex:

I'm breaking this out into two sections Range and Course.

The Range section includes LM Data from a SC200

Range Session:

Had these out at the range comparing them to both the F9 and something else.

Was cold and windy with the temps high 30s low 40s.

All three irons just get the ball up stupid easily, no need to step into anything or really push it, the tech is there and these go, go far and go high.

I did tweak my neck on a couple of swings so my SC200 data in swing speed is down with these specifically, but for 6i performance still pretty solid when comparing carry distance.

I took 4 swings with each 6i and recorded it on the SC200 - as mentioned the Turbo had the lowest Swing Speed, but still decent numbers.

Check out the Launcher Turbo Thread for Pics

I also took a few cuts with the 8i and recorded the data - consistent, a shorter carry, but I was getting the 8i pretty high, I'd say it was wedge height - just to reiterate wind was a factor, but shouldn't affect the LM numbers.

Check out the Launcher Turbo Thread for Pics

Overall I really like the Turbos, they give me what I want especially in the Accuracy and Forgiveness categories. The F9 is a great iron, however it is a distance iron and it excels at that, the finesse aspects of it, I don't necessarily see what I see compared to the Turbo.

The Turbo compared to the yet to be released iron, similar in distance and performance, same great launch characteristics, however the dispersion with the Turbo is tighter than the other iron, but when more can be said, it may be the shafts.

On Course Review:

Did not have my A Game with the irons during the scramble, but it's a credit to the clubs that I was still able to get around the course and it wasn't too penal for the team.

Also this will be specifically for the round I played not my thoughts life to day having them in the bag.

I'll break it down into five components:

Forgiveness:

This is truly where Cleveland gets an A++ I played the previous iteration and these are more forgiving, having them during this past round, where I didn't have the cleanest contact was still pin high or wasn't too far off of my target line, compared to other irons where I would have been dead.

Feel:

For a SGI club, the feel is pretty good, I could feel face contact, know the pure shots and also know where I missed it. Is it as good as fully forged face, no, but on really fat, thin, stinger shots, I don't mind.

Workability:

I can still hook these off the planet :LOL::ROFLMAO: but I can also fade these which is a good sign. Playing them in the scramble I was trying to own and control the draw. The hooks were in play on a few, but still able to put some control over these clubs.

Accuracy:

Wasn't the most accurate with these, was pretty accurate off the tee, not having too much trouble missing fairways, however greens was just over cooking it, but like I said about the forgiveness, some of these misses should have been dead, but we had some good opportunities where the ball was still around the green and if we had played it, could have gotten up and down for par.

Distance:

Even in the cold 40* temperatures I wasn't seeing much distance loss from what I'm used to in warm weather or in Florida a few weeks ago. Did not have to adjust too much and was comfortable with my yardage gaps and playability.

One thing to add - I have not hit a Flyer/overpured a shot with these yet - I have had a quite a few with the F9s this year that have done that, but these have been solid so far.

Cons:
I did have a couple of issues, small blips, but on some bad shots (emphasis on bad shots) turf interaction, let me down, was expecting it to be more forgiving as is the MO with these but some bad ones.

Overall:

Very happy with performance so far.

Back