2019 Waste Management Phoenix Open

I know it was a messy final round, but it was good to see Rickie get the win!

It was actually pretty limited, although 441 did an excellent job of highlighting the bad post-penalties shots hahahaha #SandInTheWound

Sounds about right lmao

Stillwater was pretty pumped last night, we went to Eskimo Joes with the whole brood of kids and there was some shenanigans going on. That town loves their Rickie.

Glad Rickie won but I do believe his caddie may not have done an especially professional job today.
Specifically, on hole 11 , when Rickie chipped/pitched from the front of the green into the water, I don't think his caddie advised him to consider the option of playing again from in front of the green. Had he done so, Rickie would be laying 4, chipped/pitched on the green to lay 5, and it was probably 50/50 he makes 6 or 7.
Also, the caddie could have advised/warned Rickie about the precarious lie of placing the ball (after two drops) where he did near the water.
As it played out , Rickie pitched well from behind the green and then made a long putt for 7. Making that up and down on hole 11 I think was a big part of him winning today.
Just saw that hole again this morning, and I was thinking the exact same thing. Huge up and down after the ball rolled back in the water, but why in the world drop there? At best, you have a pitch over a trap to a short sided pin, where if you get cute and leave it short, ball is rolling back into the water yet again. Take S&D and chip it uphill, just taking a little off this time, likely leaving a shorter putt for 6 than the one he drained for 7.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Glad Rickie won and hope he can add a Major as well.

Im glad Ricky got it done.

Im happy Fowler got the win, but damn it why does he have to be so good yet struggle on Sundays??

I get the ruling on his triple......but im not sure I like it.

I'm thrilled he got it done, especially after everything he dealt with on 11. I would like to think this tournament is a turning point in his career, and something he can rewind to whenever he's in position again to win on a Sunday.

Hopefully this is a multiple win year for him.

I have always liked Rickie after his performance as a kid at the Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor. He showed more backbone and resilience as a teenager than many senior players.

But the win was ugly. He still seems to be a kid with potential rather than the finished product. I like his swing, but it seems to fail him on Sundays, and he needs a caddy that will stop taking dumb drops.

I have always liked Rickie after his performance as a kid at the Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor. He showed more backbone and resilience as a teenager than many senior players.

But the win was ugly. He still seems to be a kid with potential rather than the finished product. I like his swing, but it seems to fail him on Sundays, and he needs a caddy that will stop taking dumb drops.

he was 21 for that RC

Sounds about right lmao

Stillwater was pretty pumped last night, we went to Eskimo Joes with the whole brood of kids and there was some shenanigans going on. That town loves their Rickie.

That's awesome. And a clear reminder of the kind of impact he has on people, win or lose.

I'm thrilled he got it done, especially after everything he dealt with on 11. I would like to think this tournament is a turning point in his career, and something he can rewind to whenever he's in position again to win on a Sunday.

Hopefully this is a multiple win year for him.

It was an ultimate test of mental fortitude and composure, and I think he did a brilliant job of overcoming it, driven heavily by his flatstick.

Not that we'll ever know what was said between Ricky and his caddy but how do we know that the caddy didn't suggest to Ricky to replay the shot from the original spot?

Not that we'll ever know what was said between Ricky and his caddy but how do we know that the caddy didn't suggest to Ricky to replay the shot from the original spot?

Roger Maltbie (excellent on course broadcaster) did say that Fowler and his caddie had no discussion regarding the option of taking stroke and distance penalty (from original spot fronting the green).

I gotta have that orange Puma quarter zip he wore today.

I've gotta see it in another color. Can't be wearing orange in Tallahassee.

I've gotta see it in another color. Can't be wearing orange in Tallahassee.

Nor Pensacola. Being mistaken for an Auburn fan could be dangerous.

It was an ultimate test of mental fortitude and composure, and I think he did a brilliant job of overcoming it, driven heavily by his flatstick.

Absolutely! I was rooting for him but cheered a little harder after that hole. He’s always there congratulating his friends and it’s nice to see the same returned to him.

Great win by Rickie. I could really go without seeing Slugger White consistently tho

I attended this year for the first time. It was a bucket list item for me, and now I can say I've done it once. But, some additional thoughts:

Attending on Friday -- as to avoid the chaos on Saturday -- was a smart idea. Weather was perfect, and the crowds were still quite large (and rowdy). Running to 16 from the gate was not a great time, especially not knowing where to go as the paths were not marked well. However, we eventually found our way to the stadium hole and grabbed really nice seats behind the green.

Everything that is said, positive and negative, about the crowds is true. People get wasted. People are rude. People yell (and chant) awful things to the players. It can be embarrassing.

However, there wasn't a single instance when anyone in our area felt threatened by a drunken fan, nor were there any altercations of any kind. There was a feeling of solidarity in the stands where everyone helped each other out, whether it be to grab a beer, save seats, or pass a hot dog down the row.

As someone in his upper 30's, I can safely say this was more an experience for the much younger crowd. We were surrounded by college-aged students (mostly male), and while it was definitely fun, I'm not sure this is a tournament I will attend again in the future.

I think it's easy to question why he didn't hit from the original spot, but after the way that ball just shot across the green, I think they both just knew that was a bad option. His resulting shot wasn't that bad of a spot, with an upslope and obviously he knocked it close enough to get up and down. I can't blame them for the ball rolling back in, I think it's fair to expect the ball to stay put once it's placed. I think the actual shot he hit proves that was a better spot. Just unlucky to have the ball move on its own.

I think it's easy to question why he didn't hit from the original spot, but after the way that ball just shot across the green, I think they both just knew that was a bad option. His resulting shot wasn't that bad of a spot, with an upslope and obviously he knocked it close enough to get up and down. I can't blame them for the ball rolling back in, I think it's fair to expect the ball to stay put once it's placed. I think the actual shot he hit proves that was a better spot. Just unlucky to have the ball move on its own.

For the ball "shooting across the green", Rickie made a good swing and quality ball contact, but the water on the green reduced the ball's spin/check. That's another subject the caddie maybe should have mentioned to Rickie, but I don't know if their regular habit is to talk much about shots (before Rickie plays them).
As for the closely mowed slope behind the green. Most experienced players know that severe slopes (commentators said it was a 5 to 6 foot elevation difference from the water's edge to the green), combined with tightly mowed grass, and wet ground, as well as the two drops Rickie took which rolled down slope to the water..............would at least consider the possibility the ball could roll again. In this situation (leading tournament, chip shot into water etc...) the player is usually a bit rattled-stunned so I think it's a an opportunity for the caddie to be of significant help. Just my opinion.

Back