2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frustrated. I got to a new low weight (216) about two weeks ago. I drink and sometimes retain a lot of water. I drink a minimum of 1 gallon but usually closer to 2 per day to try to fight kidney stones.

Anyways was 230 this morning and I have burned more calories than I’ve consumed since my 216 weigh in. I “should” be about 3 pounds less. I’m sure my body will realize it at some point but to add almost 20# is frustrating. Even if I know the cause.

Frustrated. I got to a new low weight (216) about two weeks ago. I drink and sometimes retain a lot of water. I drink a minimum of 1 gallon but usually closer to 2 per day to try to fight kidney stones.

Anyways was 230 this morning and I have burned more calories than I’ve consumed since my 216 weigh in. I “should” be about 3 pounds less. I’m sure my body will realize it at some point but to add almost 20# is frustrating. Even if I know the cause.
It's alright, you got this man! You've come a long way, so don't get discouraged now!

Biceps been looking good with my 16oz curls
Pyramid sets. 16oz x 1, 14 oz x 1, 12 oz.... and start again at 16 oz

It's alright, you got this man! You've come a long way, so don't get discouraged now!

I know, I wish my body more consistently eliminated water. It’s probably an after effect of medicine that hopefully sorts itself out. Just frustrating when the hard work appears to go backwards.

Just hate how the body holds on to weight.
Had the same issue yesterday - Worked my A$$ at the gym on Tuesday and wake up on Wednesday gaining almost 3 lbs.
Have no reason why. Drives me nuts.

Last edited:
Started the birthday off with new regime and commitment to health at the gym sweating and burning! Well other than having a donut - I had to it was from by son! haha

Just hate how the body holds on to weight.
Had the same issue yesterday - Worked my A$$ at the gym on Tuesday and wake up on Monday gaining almost 3 lbs.
Have no reason why. Drives me nuts.

I always used to only weigh myself once a month, probably a better plan it’ll drive me nuts like it is doing it daily. I can be 10# different one day to the next. It’s hard not to daily now that I’m serious about it.

I always used to only weigh myself once a month, probably a better plan it’ll drive me nuts like it is doing it daily. I can be 10# different one day to the next. It’s hard not to daily now that I’m serious about it.
Even when I'm trying to gain, I usually only weight myself once a week. The daily fluctuation isn't a good indicator of the amount of food I'm eating.

Even when I'm trying to gain, I usually only weight myself once a week. The daily fluctuation isn't a good indicator of the amount of food I'm eating.

Yeah I knew the 216 was when I wasn’t retaining water but I’ve burned 3# since then (intake/outtake), didn’t expect that big of a FU from my scale. Even my waist size has gone down another inch, so it’s just water.

Certainly not that big of a burn from it.

I drink about two gallons of water a day. I don’t sweat THAT much. It’s freaking 7* out. I should pee all the time. I do, like once every 5 weeks. Then I drop a ton of weight. In 3-4 days. Then the process starts over. I mean I go but just not that often except a day or two here and there. Great. Probably mega kidney stone buildup or similar. Pass.

You know what, brain-connection. I probably should bring this up to my doctor, particularly given the last 2 years challenges. That doesn’t seem normal but may be a normal side effect of the medication I was on.

Had to skip day 3 of p90x3 for recovery, but got it in today (yoga). The yoga workouts are where I tend to notice the first signs of improvement with better strength, balance, and flexibility.

Staying true to the diet and exercise.. gotta keep this up!

Almost done with my 3rd week of specific dumbbell training. Between this, and focusing on strength and flexibility during yoga, feel like I'm moving in a great direction.

Friday morning workout to close out the week.
Squats 295x5x3
Bench 172.5x5x3
Power Clean 145x3x5

All went pretty well and felt good. Back to business.

Did heavy block pulls last night. Moved well enough.

This was horrible. Questionable for sim golf tomorrow with upper body unhappiness. At least Reggie was there to encourage me.
67F765C5-EBEC-40D0-BAF7-A8BAEE516C86.jpeg95D9EC33-CF1F-4FB7-B686-8222F20BEFD1.jpeg

Almost done with my 3rd week of specific dumbbell training. Between this, and focusing on strength and flexibility during yoga, feel like I'm moving in a great direction.

Thats great! I’m seeing results from my dumbbell training in conjunction with the cycling, but how the hell anyone enjoys weight training is way beyond me LOL.

Thats great! I’m seeing results from my dumbbell training in conjunction with the cycling, but how the hell anyone enjoys weight training is way beyond me LOL.
The first week or 2 is difficult to get going, but after that it actually feels good and I want to do it. But if I break for a week or two, its back to being difficult to get back in a rhythm.

Saturday morning training went nice and well. Did some presses. 190x4x2, 195x4, 200x4. Then managed some bench presses in a ram. I was already fatigued from the presses so they weren't awesome, but was fun 355x2, 345x2x2, 350x2. I hit my fatigue wall and quit there. Then some chin-ups and rows.

Saturday morning training went nice and well. Did some presses. 190x4x2, 195x4, 200x4. Then managed some bench presses in a ram. I was already fatigued from the presses so they weren't awesome, but was fun 355x2, 345x2x2, 350x2. I hit my fatigue wall and quit there. Then some chin-ups and rows.

So much I don’t know in there. Been a while since I hit a weight room.

Do you bench roughly 230 or do you bench roughly 400?

I’m guessing it’s more the 400 but I’m confused by some of the terminology.

So much I don’t know in there. Been a while since I hit a weight room.

Do you bench roughly 230 or do you bench roughly 400?

I’m guessing it’s more the 400 but I’m confused by some of the terminology.
The most I've ever bench pressed was 370. The ram is piece of elastic and canvas that stretches and rebounds and allows a lifter to bench press more than they could without it. The ram allowed me to train heavy after presses. Basically overloaded the top end of my bench press. This will help me, hopefully, when it comes to my regular bench presses.

So, one of the strength training minds I like to read, Mike Tuchscherer (pronounced Ta-share-er). He writes a lot about auto-regulated training. Basically methods to maximize your training capability on any given day. He pioneered the use of RPE in training, Rate of Perceived Exertion. A scale between 6-10 based on how many more reps you could do on a lift at a weight.

Screenshot_20210213-131633.png

One of the methods he writes about utilizing RPE is Fatigue Stop training. Basically, doing a lift at a preselected rep range at a preselected RPE and stopping when you reach a preselected RPE. Today I was doing ram bench presses for doubles @8 stop @9. I started too heavy with 355, so I dropped down to 345, which got a little easy so I added a little weight and struggled to finish the set. So, I called it based on my fatigue level.

Last edited:
The most I've ever bench pressed was 370. The ram is piece of elastic and canvas that stretches and rebounds and allows a lifter to bench press more than they could without it. The ram allowed me to train heavy after presses. Basically overloaded the top end of my bench press. This will help me, hopefully, when it comes to my regular bench presses.

So, one of the strength training minds I like to read, Mike Tuchscherer (pronounced Ta-share-er). He writes a lot about auto-regulated training. Basically methods to maximize your training capability on any given day. He pioneered the use of RPE in training, Rate of Perceived Exertion. A scale between 6-10 based on how many more reps you could do on a lift at a weight.

View attachment 8993251

One of the methods he writes about utilizing RPE is Fatigue Stop training. Basically, doing a lift at a preselected rep range at a preselected RPE and stopping when you reach a preselected RPE. Today I was doing ram bench presses for doubles @9 stop @10. I started too heavy with 355, so I dropped down to 345, which got a little easy so I added a little weight and struggled to finish the set. So, I called it based on my fatigue level.

Thanks for explaining. I only seriously weight trained for about 2 years, 16-18. Which is 25 years ago. I have fairly long arms and my max bench was 315. I was about 170 at the time. Drove me nuts there was a little guy with stubby arms that weighed like 120 and could throw up (the entire 4” it had to travel, lol) up about 260 so he out percentages me. Dude was one helluva a wrestler. A little on the small side for football but playing safety he’d generally figure out a way to bring someone down.

I did have stupid strong legs. I credit dad having a roofing business and me being expected to carry a bundle of shingles on each shoulder up and down a ladder all day. At a certain point I realized if I carried 4 at a time I’d get done at least 30% faster, so I did that from like 14 on. So a squat rack and leg press sled were my friend.

My wrestling coach was like 5’10” 225 of solid muscle. He was doing reps with over 400 on bench. I had him beat by over 100 on squat and we could both max out with the weight that we could add on the leg press sled but I could double his reps.

Thanks for explaining. I only seriously weight trained for about 2 years, 16-18. Which is 25 years ago. I have fairly long arms and my max bench was 315. I was about 170 at the time. Drove me nuts there was a little guy with stubby arms that weighed like 120 and could throw up (the entire 4” it had to travel, lol) up about 260 so he out percentages me. Dude was one helluva a wrestler. A little on the small side for football but playing safety he’d generally figure out a way to bring someone down.

I did have stupid strong legs. I credit dad having a roofing business and me being expected to carry a bundle of shingles on each shoulder up and down a ladder all day. At a certain point I realized if I carried 4 at a time I’d get done at least 30% faster, so I did that from like 14 on. So a squat rack and leg press sled were my friend.

My wrestling coach was like 5’10” 225 of solid muscle. He was doing reps with over 400 on bench. I had him beat by over 100 on squat and we could both max out with the weight that we could add on the leg press sled but I could double his reps.
I thought I read that you had a 600lb squat in high school too. That true?

My body has been failing me this year quite a bit but I’ve just started to get back in the “gym” recently to get some blood pumping. I’m sick of being 82% coffee, 11% gummy bear, 7% Girl Scout cookie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back