2021 Shaft Up #3 Whistling Straits Holy-by-Hole Preview – Straits Course

All about pin location on that one, but I'd try to follow the advise on the yardage book. Bet that's a great view from the tee.

Thats a cool par 3 standing on the tee box. Anyone fearing a left miss will have some "puckering" going on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My caddy told me to land it short so I hit an 8 iron there both times. We played the green tees. Fun hole

Thats a cool par 3 standing on the tee box. Anyone fearing a left miss will have some "puckering" going on.

Heh ... that'd be me. Think I'd have to aim at the right bunkers or hope there's a left to right wind blowing. 😳

Heh ... that'd be me. Think I'd have to aim at the right bunkers or hope there's a left to right wind blowing.
That's also me so I speak from experience. The elevation drop off to the left is daunting. Like if your ball goes down there, how the hell can you even play a shot back to the green.

Heading into the weekend we move onto hole #4...

Hole #4 – “Glory” (Par 4 – Handicap 1; 414 from Green, 404 from White)

“Visually intimidating off the tee, the most difficult par 4 on the golf course is protected by length, undulations and, of course, pot bunkers.”

1627127195403.png

1627127166488.png

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“A long, visually intimidating par 4. Large mounding down the right of the fairway tends to make golfers want to favor the left; however, most shots bounce left toward bunkers and dunes that drop off quickly toward Lake Michigan. Approach shots require a mid to long iron into a slightly elevated green. The green hangs on the edge of Lake Michigan’s bluffs and forces players to favor the right center portion of the green. ”

The only saving grace for me on this hole is that it appears that most of the trouble is on the left (water/bunkers), and as we already know there is a 99% chance I won't end up in that area. Off the tee I'll aim my tee shot down the right edge of the bunkers on the left, giving myself a bit of space to allow my ball work left to right into the fairway. From there we will most likely have a long iron shot (4i-5i) into an elavated green. Just wish me luck on this one and hope I can escape with a bogey net par haha.

How would you guys play the #1 handicap hole on the course?

Man this course looks intimidating! I want to play it haha, you guys are in for a real treat.

If playing the green tees I'm bombing driver into the widest part of the fairway leaving a 9 iron in...in theory haha.

Aim up the left side of the fairway and hope for a slight fade. Should leave me a 7-6 iron in.

The contrast between the soothing scenery and the diabolical course layout is extreme. What a beautiful place. You guys are gonna have a blast!

I’m hitting 3 wood off the tee because I couldn’t safely get to the open landing. I’d then pending on the lie take long iron short and wedge on or hybrid right at the green if it is a green light special. On the tee I’m telling myself it’s a Par 5 and limit my risks.

We close out the weekend with hole #5…

Hole #5 – “Snake” (Par 5 - Handicap 5; 543 from Green, 527 from White)

“The longer of the two par 5s on the front nine, this winding fairway demands accuracy from tee to green.”

CE613978-377A-44DA-A13D-31B5D9538C16.jpeg

260F0475-D8D2-4F30-B03F-B54EE3ED52A4.jpeg

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“This will be a three-shot par 5 for most players. Water runs along both the left and right sides of the fairway. The landing area sets players up for a difficult decision on their second shot. Players that dare to hit their second shot to the green will be challenged by a long carry over water to a narrow green with no room for error short or left. A more conservative approach is to hit mid to long irons down the fairway to set up a better approach angle with the third shot, played with a short iron into this narrow green.”

The internet golfer in me says I’ll aim at bunkers on the left and end up in the fairway off the tee, but realistically I’ll probable end up in the water on the right and we’ll be using @mancest tee shot haha. From there I will most likelylayup and hit a 6/7 iron, followed by a wedge into the green.

How would you guys play this long and winding par 5?

Scramble dream hole. Barring strong head wind. Bombs away to the right on a line I think i can carry.

Aim at the left outside corner and land fairway with typical shot, then hit 5 down the fairway doing whatever to take left out of play, then wedge to green or more depending on how far out.

It's a beast of a hole! The wind was in from the right both times I played it. Play conservative up the left side of the tee shot and hit a hybrid, 5 or 6 to give a good look at the green.

There would have to be a pretty significant helping wind for me to even think about taking it towards the bunker complex on the right

There would have to be a pretty significant helping wind for me to even think about taking it towards the bunker complex on the right
I’d need gale force winds to even think about it.

Happy Monday! Today we take a look at hole #6...

Hole #6 – “Gremlin's Ear” (Par 4 - Handicap 13; 360 from Green, 352 from White)

“The shortest par 4 on the course, Gremlin’s Ear is made difficult by a deep sod-wall bunker that will swallow anything in its path.”

1627307909749.png

1627307849048.png

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“A short, dogleg right that may lead to a blind approach shot if the player strays right off the tee. Some of the braver and longer players may attempt to drive the green with a hard-driving cut shot; however, a deep sand pot bunker guards the middle half of the green and must be avoided at all costs. Any shot short, right or long, will leave a very difficult pitch to a green that is narrow, undulating and difficult to rail.”

This hole looks pretty straightfoward for me, aim driver toward bunkers on left and let ball work back into FW, then fire away with 9i/PW at left/center of green.

How would you guys play this short but treacherous par 4?

I’d aim at the pot bunker on the left and swing out of my shoes land in FW. Then hit a PW-8 depending where the terrain takes me off the tee shot.

Not knowing what the wind'll be doing, 3H aiming at the right edge of the first trap. Should leave me with a scoring iron/wedge into the green.

The straits looks like it is going to kick us in the goonies. Either way it will be a blast I am sure.

The straits looks like it is going to kick us in the goonies. Either way it will be a blast I am sure.
I’m sure I’ll be in the s*** on a lot of holes on both courses but I’ll be having a great time doing it haha.

Another day, another hole, here is #7...

Hole #7 – “Shipwreck” (Par 3 - Handicap 9; 185 from Green, 172 from White)

“Down the path to the shoreline, the picturesque par 3 creates a dramatic approach to the green.”

1627432856617.png

1627432701635.png

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“This striking par 3 hugs the Lake Michigan shoreline on the right. Beside the lake, this green is protected by a series of sand bunkers on the right and short. The left side is framed by a large hillside layered with sand bunkers. This long green will make club selection critical and has many subtle movements on it to challenge players’ putting.”

This may be a brutal hole for me if the wind is coming from the west. Long par 3 with a bunch of trouble on the right is my nemesis. Depending on the wind, I can be hitting anywhere from a 6-iron to a 5-wood. I'll be aiming way left to ensure I stay in play on this one.

How would you guys play this par 3?

Coming down the closing stretch of the back 9, here is #8...

Hole #8 – “On The Rocks” (Par 4 - Handicap 3; 429 from Green, 405 from White)

“With over 100 bunkers, intimidating to say the least, the green drops off the back into a deadly pot bunker.”

1627473173721.png

1627473123465.png

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“A blind landing area off the tee will challenge players to keep their tee shots left in order to avoid a severe drop-off, sand dunes, bunkers and Lake Michigan on the right. The second shot is played with the Great Lakes as a backdrop. A long iron or fairway wood may be required to reach a very deep green guarded on the left by sand dunes and bunker sand right by deep bunkers with a falloff to the lake. The green is long and deep and will create difficult club selection choices to ensure playing to the right area on the green. ”

Off the tee I'll be aiming way left on this one to do my best to avoid all of the trouble on the right. On the approach I will most likely have a long iron or 5-wood in and will play it left side of green and let the green shape help my left to right shot shape.

How would you guys play this sandy par 4?

#7 is such a picturesque par 3. Get your cameras ready while on the tee box. For some entertainment you can Google "john daly whistling straits" and watch a meltdown on this very hoke.

#8 is the hole that derailed my round. If you read the hole description it mentions a pot bunker behind the green. I can tell you from experience you don't want to be there. That bunker still haunts me. Not sure it's physically possible to get a ball out, and there is nowhere to pitch out to either side or behind you.

Back