CONTEST 2022 Bourbon Bash Contest & Live Update Thread

@Junkyard triple bogey lager last night perfect post or mid round beer. Name is spot on for those on course rounds 2 for 2. (y) Thank you again.

@Junkyard triple bogey lager last night perfect post or mid round beer. Name is spot on for those on course rounds 2 for 2. (y) Thank you again.
Happy to hear it!

We like the triple bogey post-round, hopefully it's your first triple of the day ;)

Finally getting around to pulling the SD card from the Nikon and checking out the photos taken whilst on this trip. I know most of the guys did the tour at Angel's Envy, but I thought I would share some of the photos I took at Jim Beam on Thursday afternoon. As you'll see, Beam is far less modern than AE was - at AE everything was picture-perfect but at Beam it's all about making Bourbon. Lots and lots of Bourbon.

They start you out in a large space where they explain the basics of bourbon, which include not only the grains, but the main ingredient: limestone-filtered water. The space includes James' 1935 Cadillac with the Dona jug sitting on the passenger side of the front seat. Back in the day distillers were so afraid of a fire or other event at the distillery they would take their yeast home with them every day lest they lose it to a disaster. Lost their yeast strain and it's game over.
DSC_8078.JPG
Five full-size panels outline the rules that the spirit must meet in order to be considered a legal bourbon:
DSC_8089.JPG

Next up is a stroll through the distillation farm, where they have twenty-two 45,000 gallon tanks turning out distiller's beer day after day. Unlike AE, it was MUCH warmer walking amongst the tanks at JB. There was also a pronounced amount of CO2 present as the yeast worked hard to break the sugars down into alcohol. Next stop: the hardest working still in America.
DSC_8093.JPG
Unlike the beautiful copper still at AE, this still isn't near as photogenic. But, just as you don't go to a golf course to play the clubhouse, the still is only as good as the liquor that comes out the top of it. And since Beam white label is the number one selling bourbon in the world, I'd say looks don't matter.
DSC_8094.JPG
200 gallons per minute turns into 30 gallons of white dog once it's passed through the doubler.
DSC_8095.JPG

Previously the only distillery tour I had been on was Jack Daniel's, and they produce everything themselves including their barrels. Like AE, Beam uses a third-party to build and char their barrels. Beam uses a #4 char, which is noticeably heavier than the #3 used at AE.
DSC_8111.JPG
Take a second to let these numbers sink in: a chosen tree produces enough staves to make two barrels. Each barrel can only be used once for bourbon. Each barrel house holds approximately 30,000 barrels, and Beam has 36 of these houses. Yes, that's a lot of white oak!
DSC_8107.JPG
Subtle differences in the mash bill, distilling and barreling proofs in addition to the duration of again is what makes each bourbon different. As tight as they try to control the production variables, once it goes into the barrel it's up to Mother Nature to do the rest.

Apologies for the poor lighting on these photos (I didn't have my external flash with me) but they have a pretty good graphical representation of the steps and components that go into the process.
DSC_8109.JPG
DSC_8108.JPG

The last stop on the tour before the tasting is a barrel house. Nothing fancy, just row upon row upon row of bourbon barrels. For those not familiar, a barrel's location within the house has a major effect on the quality/flavour of the finished product. Barrels on the bottom level remain at a fairly consistent temperature year round, as the dirt floor beneath acts as an insulator. The bourbon from these barrels has the mildest flavour, since it's had the least interaction with the wood by remaining at a stable temperature. These barrels also lose the least amount of liquid to evaporation. Barrels in the top row of the house have the strongest flavour and lose the most to the angels because they experience the greatest hot/cold cycle. Typically these barrels are used to make single barrel product. The middle rows are the most stable, and get mixed together to maintain a consistent flavour profile.
DSC_8115.JPG
It's hard, hot work as all of these barrels get moved around by hand. Yes, they have an elevator to get them to the upper levels, and a small lift to get them into the second and third levels of each floor, but beyond that it's all man power rolling them into the rows. Here's a look up from the bottom of the elevator. Oh, and no smoking; the sweet smell of alcohol is everywhere.
DSC_8117.JPG
Fun fact: they paint the barrel houses black because the alcohol vapour attracts a fungus that loves to grow on everything. It's how the revenuers found back-country stills back in the day; if they started to find black deposits on trees or other items there was a very good chance a still was nearby. Beam decided that instead of trying to beat the fungus they'd simply try to make it blend in.
DSC_8127.JPG

Gonna do my best here to finish out the live action photos. Playing one hole as an eleven-some allowed me to snap pictures of the golfers who were behind us. Hopefully I get the tags correct, if not I'm sure someone will point it out.

First up is a guy who needs zero introduction, but seriously look at the head position. It's like that no-look pass in hockey!

DSC_8308.JPG

No idea who this might be 🤷‍♂️

DSC_8316.JPG

@jbuck31 if I'm not mistaken
DSC_8379.JPG
Tom aka "Plus One"
DSC_8380.JPG

DSC_8382.JPG

Seriously folks, if you've never had the pleasure of seeing @Wildcat4life hit in a golf ball in person, it's a site to behold. He leaves nothing in reserve. But he gets it done and he's a super nice dude to boot!

DSC_8383.JPG

@brotherdave
DSC_8489.JPG

I think I got everybody. If not, let me know and I'll go back through my photos.

Gonna do my best here to finish out the live action photos. Playing one hole as an eleven-some allowed me to snap pictures of the golfers who were behind us. Hopefully I get the tags correct, if not I'm sure someone will point it out.

First up is a guy who needs zero introduction, but seriously look at the head position. It's like that no-look pass in hockey!

View attachment 9117844

No idea who this might be 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 9117845
Pretty sure that is @tanker337 on the bottom pic... Could be wrong though

What a gift, thank you @KY Golfer and all! It's as if I was there myself.

IMG_8795.jpeg

So how’s Kentucky golf in October?

So how’s Kentucky golf in October?
The courses in Coastal Georgia are generally in their best condition in the fall. Any of y’all that want to play down here are welcome to be my guest at my home course Sapelo Hammock Golf Course.

Back