2022 Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Balls

I've played or tested just about every ball on the market. In the end, I ended up playing the Taylormade Tour Response for the better part of this season. However, I had one issue with the ball. Just wasn't performing as well on the greens (putting) like I remembered the Chrome Soft.

I'm a slow swing, senior golfer and I honestly can't tell much difference when hitting any ball with the driver. The irons are another thing and I prefer a slightly softer ball. That's why I went with the Tour Response. But as I said, after a while, I started questioning whether it was giving me the same true roll on the green that I remembered the Chrome Soft doing.

So after my months long experiment with the Tour Response, I went back to the Chrome Soft. Almost immediately, I felt that I was rolling the ball so much better. There's something about the feel off my putter (Odyssey Stroke Lab One) that is just reassuring and confidence inspiring. It's strange, but I never hear anyone talk about the feel off the putter, it's mostly comments about distance. For me, putting is a such an important part of my ability to score well, that I focus on the feel off the putter over everything else. I guess how it feels off my wedge would come next.

Consequently, the Chrome Soft is still my #1 ball because I just can't find anything that performs as well with my wedge and putter. My GIR percentage is in the 20-30% range and so I rely on my short game and putting to keep my handicap in the 10-12 range.

I'd be remiss if I didn't add that it's about 5-10 yards longer with the driver than the Tour Response, but with the irons I haven't seen any difference in distance or spin.

I see it was already mentioned but these balls at $44.99 at retail is a great price!

I see it was already mentioned but these balls at $44.99 at retail is a great price!
i've been taking full advantage of that pricing.

@JasonFinleyCG I did something this year that everyone says you should do but don't really do.
I picked CSX to play earlier this year and except to burn some PXG and CS at a couple of golf weekends, I've played the 2022 CSX exclusively all year.
Think it's really made a difference in my game and might have been my best equipment choice of 2023.
The ball meshes with my putter face and I have fantastic sense of feel on the greens.

Last edited:
@JasonFinleyCG I did something this year that everyone says you should do but don't really don't
I picked CSX to play earlier this year and except to burn some PXG and CS at a couple of golf weekends, I've played the 2022 CSX exclusively all year.
Think it's really made a difference in my game and might have been my best equipment choice of 2023.
The ball meshes with my putter face and I have fantastic sense of feel on the greens.
I've done the same with Chrome Soft this year, and been really happy with it. Feel is perfect for me, and performance is great from tee to green.

I’m really liking the 360 triple track for putting. I don’t think I have ever putted this well as the last few weeks.

I need to track down some more they are kind of hard to find.

Little bit of a repost however I put in to play CSX "Plain Janes" meaning no putting alignment aid except the normal Chrome Soft tagline and arrows.
Just didn't like it. I have gotten so used to TT or Tru-Track that I now need the alignment aid.
So much that I was playing in a 2 day tournament over the weekend and went out and bought a dozen CSX-LS USA Tru-Track.
TBH, I really couldn't tell the difference between CSX and LS.
Figured with the ground being damp in the mornings this time of the year and not really getting any roll from the Driver, less spin might give me some added distance.

I had played some Chrome Soft Truvis earlier in the year and loved them.....My new batch of CS i got which is the non truvis seems to shred like crazy. Often looking visibly beat up after 1-2 holes even. They perform great i was just surprised at this

The 2023 ProV1 seems to hold up better. The Vice Pros i have soak up beatings like Rocky and look brand new.

Anyway, i got 5 boxes of these so i'm gonna use them because they work well.

Got to play with the CSX Triple Track a week ago then yesterday play the TruTrack a little bit... I Enjoyed playing the Triple track and using it for putting. I like the CSX, I am trying to figure out if the CSX gives me too much spin. I need to get some more CSX LS and compare them. I like the looks of the Trutrack but I think I like the more minimalistic look of the regular triple track.. the Tructrack might have too much going on for my liking.

I have not played a yellow Chromesoft X LS for 36 holes. It still looks brand new. I have never seen this level of durability

I have not played a yellow Chromesoft X LS for 36 holes. It still looks brand new. I have never seen this level of durability
I have not been playing the yellow ones. Been playing the USA Tru Track. The durability is really good.

I’ve been impressed with how it handles the wind and love the low spin on irons.

I love playing the yellow more for some reason lol

I love playing the yellow more for some reason lol
The leaf turn and fall is creating some issues but I’m happy with them. Strong flight and really quick to stop.

@JasonFinleyCG I did something this year that everyone says you should do but don't really don't
Great decision

Afraid to play my latest Chrome Soft -- don't want to lose any ...

thumbnail_IMG_2223.jpg

I'm loving the CSX LS, I started the season with the CSX, but the LS holds wind and lessens sidespin on long shots better, but still spins plenty on shorter shots. It's my pick going forward.

Quick review on the switch I made to Chrome Soft Triple Track.

I switched from Prov1's and could not be happier with what I've found in the Chrome Soft. I does everything I can do with a ball. It's stops about a foot away from where it hits the green and I trust that and have confidence it knowing it will stop where I'm trying (hoping) to land the ball.

The alignment of TT is unmatched. Both the colors of the alignment and the fact that it's three lines just makes it very easy to align the ball with where I want it to be. It's got the spin I'm looking for around the green, I can add more when I want to or not.

Distance is not something I worry about, it's as long as anything I've ever hit. I'm more concerned with performance and I'm happy that this ball has that down pat.

Last round out with the CS was a blast! The ball was working off the tee, on approach, but especially on short chips. It was early morning, and very wet/dewy. I was able to pull the string on the CS with my 58*, making it stop where I wanted. Really, really impressive considering the conditions. This performance around the green helped me get close enough for 2 birdies, both of which were within 6 feet, as well as an overall 58% up and down. I've gotten a bit more aggressive with these short chips, and the proximity was been really good. For reference, I'm at 42% Up and Down for the year, but since I made the change I'm at 52% since making the change. But really, the CS does it all for me tee to green!

I’ve been playing the Chrome Soft X LS for about a year and it’s been real good for me. Earlier this week i went out for a round and grabbed a sleeve of Chrome Soft because I forgot to bring more with me. I really enjoyed the soft feel and noticed a little straighter ball flight off the tee. Driver is where i really struggle so this was a nice site. I picked up some more and played a round with them today. I drove the ball and the irons have a little more spin that I was looking for. I’m gonna keep playing them for awhile.

Back