2023 Cobra KING TEC Utility Irons

Found myself pondering a utility iron a little bit and came here to see what to new ones are like. Fingers crossed the local shops around here have some to hit in the bay.

I’ve got the 4 sitting in my cart trying to find a good reason not to buy it.

I have the 2 iron.. it replaced a mizuno hmb mp20 utility. I enjoy it more… it’s got a stock shaft which works but would like to change it eventually. It plays perfectly for a tee shot on my home course that I can’t hit driver and I have not been in trouble with it even on mishits

20230714_213243.jpg

Been really curious about this part of MC order. Still haven't spent any time with it so all things are possible.

More compact than my Fli-Hi, little thicker top line, more offset.

20230717_230216.jpg

Meant to post this the other day. Comparison to what I've been playing.

First time or with the TEC that! First time hitting it.

Really impressed with the feel. Didn't quite expect it to be that satisfying. Only used it a couple times but enjoyed it. I did notice the offset over the ball. Played the X Forged UT for a while, then the Fli-Hi. Seems a bit more with this one. Didn't seem to cause me any real trouble though in limited sample and I walked away impressed. Just need to get it dialed in.

This is without a doubt the best feeling UT I've played. Just awesome.

20230719_180219.jpg

Don't have to swing it too hard either. It moves.

Decided to use this today in a situation I normally wouldn't because I just don't have many swings in on it so far. Handful. And it cost me a ball in the water for the experience. So while it's surely early to make a change, based on feel and flight of those I'm going to. Going to order an i95cw X for it to try to keep a little more consistent feel and transition from my irons. I think with potentially limited opportunities with it, it might make it just a little easier/reliable.

20230901_133300.jpg

Got the i95cw X 4i shaft installed and first outing with it was pretty good. Better. Definitely feels a little more natural in transition from my 4i.

Also, just have to say for probably the millionth time that this thing feels really damn good. If so surprises me.

Distance was good, trajectory seemed about right, and had pretty good control. Not the easiest for me to fade still, but when is that ever for me. More to come with this. Need to spend time with it over the next few weeks and find out where it fits in game management.

The one thing that I don't love about this club is the offset. It definitely has more than I'm used to. Which does things, and makes me do things, so I went on a little mission to figure how to move it to the right. Cause I need to be able to do that.

Going to try to put that work to use on the course tomorrow.

Last edited:
The one thing that I don't love about this club is the offset. It definitely has more than I'm used to. Which does things, and makes me do things, so I went on a little mission to figure how to move it to the right. Cause I need to be able to do that.

Going to try to put that with to use on the course tomorrow.

Slider up! Looking good with the new build.

Haven't had this in the bag in a while, was doing a little club work this afternoon and decided to pull the shaft and put something else in for tomorrows charity scramble round, will see how it it works out.

Only had the chance to hit this club once yesterday with the new setup. It was off the tee and the result was very good. I forgot how much I enjoy this clubs sound and feel and how easy it launches for a 4U. Result of the swing was a nice 220-230 with a high ball flight for me. Might have to keep this in the bag for a bit and try to use it some more.

I've been migrating back to a One Length bag and recently picked up the OL version of the 3 and 5 utilities. Still building the 5 but got to hit a few shots with the 3 over the weekend. Was kind of surprised how good it felt. It seemed to like a toe miss more than a heel miss distance wise, but the heel miss was still playable. It was really handy as a punch club, which I try not to need too often but it happens. I hit it quite a bit lower on full swings than what I would typically play which is to be expected. The hybrid it would likely replace is one of my least used so it could make the bag on that basis, otherwise it would probably be more of a 15th club for certain courses/conditions. The 5 I think has a better chance to make the bag permanently but we'll see when I hit it.

Hit these 5 times tonight and hit 3 greens. 5i hits a nice window and distance. Had a 3i off the tee that stopped within a few feet. Definitely slower flight with the 3i than what I'm used to but not sure I'm giving up much based on where the shots ended up.

Having the utility profile on the 7 length shaft is really fun if you can get sufficient launch and spin out of it.
what do you think is needed to get the launch and spin on the OL?

what do you think is needed to get the launch and spin on the OL?
I think it depends on which club and how you want to use it. The 5i I play basically as my 6i replacement, and it hits the right window to hold a green. I played some last year with an AeroJet OL 6i bent to the same loft as the Tec OL 5i and they play pretty similar for me. I just prefer the Tec slightly as I feel like it's a better look and feel flow into the Forged Tecs. Hard to say exactly how much for everyone but if you can get serviceable launch and spin out of an AeroJet or similar 6i I think you'd be able to play the OL 5i in this.

With the 3i I think at the time of this post I was still kind of in the mindset of every club needs to have similar height and descent angle. A thread I did on UIs and an @OldandStiff thread on pros' trajectory recently have made me kind of reconsider that, especially as it relates to OL. It was probably a year apart in testing, but the last VL utility I tried was a TEE C722, and my launch, height, spin, and descent were almost identical to what I'm seeing now with the Tec OL 3i. The Tec OL just goes ~10 yards less which makes sense given the shaft length difference. So I think the window of usability expands a lot if it doesn't have to hold a green, and doesn't have to be the club you're hitting 250 yard piss missiles off the tee with. I think a 3i or 4i would be a great option even in an otherwise VL bag if you find yourself needing to punch out a lot and/or needing to just advance the ball 150-175 yards and find keeping it low to be a safer option.

I think it depends on which club and how you want to use it. The 5i I play basically as my 6i replacement, and it hits the right window to hold a green. I played some last year with an AeroJet OL 6i bent to the same loft as the Tec OL 5i and they play pretty similar for me. I just prefer the Tec slightly as I feel like it's a better look and feel flow into the Forged Tecs. Hard to say exactly how much for everyone but if you can get serviceable launch and spin out of an AeroJet or similar 6i I think you'd be able to play the OL 5i in this.

With the 3i I think at the time of this post I was still kind of in the mindset of every club needs to have similar height and descent angle. A thread I did on UIs and an @OldandStiff thread on pros' trajectory recently have made me kind of reconsider that, especially as it relates to OL. It was probably a year apart in testing, but the last VL utility I tried was a TEE C722, and my launch, height, spin, and descent were almost identical to what I'm seeing now with the Tec OL 3i. The Tec OL just goes ~10 yards less which makes sense given the shaft length difference. So I think the window of usability expands a lot if it doesn't have to hold a green, and doesn't have to be the club you're hitting 250 yard piss missiles off the tee with. I think a 3i or 4i would be a great option even in an otherwise VL bag if you find yourself needing to punch out a lot and/or needing to just advance the ball 150-175 yards and find keeping it low to be a safer option.
For me it relates to the top end gapping thread I started. I would be eyeing more the 3 or 4 u, something I can hit low and safe off the tee and have some pop for if when I need to punch something low but with distance. Not really looking to hit and stop on a green, if anything roll something up.

For me it relates to the top end gapping thread I started. I would be eyeing more the 3 or 4 u, something I can hit low and safe off the tee and have some pop for if when I need to punch something low but with distance. Not really looking to hit and stop on a green, if anything roll something up.
Ya I think it's worthy of consideration, it's how I'm thinking I'll try using mine if I redo my other gaps. For those types of shots the exact numbers you get might be a little irrelevant. Main thing I've found is really going with the low flight and not trying to subconsciously get the ball in the air knowing you have not a lot of loft and not a lot of shaft length.

Ya I think it's worthy of consideration, it's how I'm thinking I'll try using mine if I redo my other gaps. For those types of shots the exact numbers you get might be a little irrelevant. Main thing I've found is really going with the low flight and not trying to subconsciously get the ball in the air knowing you have not a lot of loft and not a lot of shaft length.
Thanks for the insight as I'm not sure I will be able to find on to test. Also considering just a straight up GI 4 iron but the OL aspect has me curious for this one.

@willplaysgolf have you been seeing more or less comparable distances with the OL? As in a 3 OL and 3 VL would be more or less the same, noting carry and roll might vary a little bit?

@willplaysgolf have you been seeing more or less comparable distances with the OL? As in a 3 OL and 3 VL would be more or less the same, noting carry and roll might vary a little bit?
I've mostly just used hybrids in that range but in general by the time I get to 3i/3h I'd say I'm about 10 yards or a club shorter in total yards.

Tours are the best set of irons I’ve ever played. I have 5-GW, however am considering grabbing a King Tec Utility 5-iron to better bridge to my 4-hybrid. Anybody here swing the utility 5-iron or do a similar combo? More importantly, are you guys keeping these clubs in your bags still?

Tours are the best set of irons I’ve ever played. I have 5-GW, however am considering grabbing a King Tec Utility 5-iron to better bridge to my 4-hybrid. Anybody here swing the utility 5-iron or do a similar combo? More importantly, are you guys keeping these clubs in your bags still?
I'm gaming the 3 and 5 utilities in the One Length version. The 3 may rotate in and out with an extra wedge but the 5 will be in the bag.

On a day when I had some mediocre iron shots going, I hit 3 of my best shots of the round with these today.

First was on a longer par 3. I was wanting to hit my new UW but with a little wind in I felt like 3i was the better play. Hit a nice tight draw to the center of the green and 2 putted for par.

88D36A81-4C7D-4FF1-BE8F-4D98DF28FE8D.jpeg

The next one was my approach shot on number 8. This pin can be a little scary especially with a club with some hot pull potential, as an overcooked one can easily miss long and tumble down the hill. This one came off with some nice height and hit and stopped for a solid birdie look.

576031E0-0554-4207-8D65-103954A3E7F0.jpeg

Last one was also an approach shot, this time from an upslope into the wind. Another shot that I really don't want to hit a hot pull on, but also don't want to bail out right because it's a tough up and down. Put a really nice swing on it and nearly jarred it.

72E5AEDE-2256-4438-BA9D-FD53FE5B57DD.jpeg

C5705BF6-249A-4D57-9255-6206E39AD4B9.jpeg

The feel on these continues to really stand out. I think these shots felt better than any shot I hit with my Forged Tecs today.

Back