2024 Driver Market: Which One Do You Want?

Even though I may have been golfing since the 90's, I was one of those guys doing it on a shoestring budget. Who am I kidding? I had the same clubs for years and years. So I've got limited experience.

My Mavrik does ok for me but I don't hit the ball too far.

AI Smoke Max D in 12* might give me a bit more distance. Newer tech always gives a couple more yards. And I'd tip the Project X Denali Blue 5.5 50 THP shaft I got and give it a Winn DriTac 2.0 grip. I think this would suit my game. For some reason my slice has returned. Lessons have made it less noticeable but it's still there. Since the AI Smoke has a counter to it in the Max D, I'm giving it a shot. And that's how it'll fit my game.

Cobra, I've never hit their clubs. I don't know what I'm missing and never will in this scenario. Not taking anything away from them, they make great stuff and there's a big following here. They're just not on my wishlist.

TaylorMade... I've got a hate relationship with them. I don't exactly know why. It's me though, not them. I just don't like what they've done club wise recently. SIM, SIM 2, and Stealth just looked I dunno, ICK. That's all I can describe it. Although I'm intrigued by the QI 10 I won't be hitting it in this scenario. My loss. :ROFLMAO:

PING. Where's the eye roll emoji? I read the thread on the G430. And the G430 10K Max or whatever it's called. I want it. I want to hit it. I want to game it. I'm not going near it though. Why? I'm easily influenced in some things and the G430 thread tearing PING apart because they're less innovative than other OEM's and have the unstated attitude "buy the club, it's PING" even though it's seemingly inferior to new offerings from other OEMs. The part that bothers me? I hit my G425 9W well. It's probably the most reliable club in my bag. It kept me from looking like a bonehead at Dormie during the Project X experience last year. Who shows up to a THP experience with a newly developed slice? This guy:ROFLMAO:. My 9W kept me in play sometimes and was the only wood that I could hit straight and reliably-ish. So I think I want to look long and hard at the G430 line of clubs. And that makes me mad because I hit that club so well, and PING uses old tech and laziness in developing their clubs "because we're PING".

In all truth, I want to do something I've never been able to do before and that's actually HIT the new clubs this season. Not just driver but that's your question here. I'm going Callaway because I perceive they've got the best chance to meet my crappy golf game and have something that's reliable to hit.

One of each please.

When a post really understands you…
Sad Vince Mcmahon GIF by Justin

I'm waiting it out for the new Titleist drivers. Love my TSR3 and nothing has me want to change that so far.

Another happy Titleist guy here. I’ll keep rocking my TSR2 most likely.

Even though I may have been golfing since the 90's, I was one of those guys doing it on a shoestring budget. Who am I kidding? I had the same clubs for years and years. So I've got limited experience.

My Mavrik does ok for me but I don't hit the ball too far.

AI Smoke Max D in 12* might give me a bit more distance. Newer tech always gives a couple more yards. And I'd tip the Project X Denali Blue 5.5 50 THP shaft I got and give it a Winn DriTac 2.0 grip. I think this would suit my game. For some reason my slice has returned. Lessons have made it less noticeable but it's still there. Since the AI Smoke has a counter to it in the Max D, I'm giving it a shot. And that's how it'll fit my game.

Cobra, I've never hit their clubs. I don't know what I'm missing and never will in this scenario. Not taking anything away from them, they make great stuff and there's a big following here. They're just not on my wishlist.

TaylorMade... I've got a hate relationship with them. I don't exactly know why. It's me though, not them. I just don't like what they've done club wise recently. SIM, SIM 2, and Stealth just looked I dunno, ICK. That's all I can describe it. Although I'm intrigued by the QI 10 I won't be hitting it in this scenario. My loss. :ROFLMAO:

PING. Where's the eye roll emoji? I read the thread on the G430. And the G430 10K Max or whatever it's called. I want it. I want to hit it. I want to game it. I'm not going near it though. Why? I'm easily influenced in some things and the G430 thread tearing PING apart because they're less innovative than other OEM's and have the unstated attitude "buy the club, it's PING" even though it's seemingly inferior to new offerings from other OEMs. The part that bothers me? I hit my G425 9W well. It's probably the most reliable club in my bag. It kept me from looking like a bonehead at Dormie during the Project X experience last year. Who shows up to a THP experience with a newly developed slice? This guy:ROFLMAO:. My 9W kept me in play sometimes and was the only wood that I could hit straight and reliably-ish. So I think I want to look long and hard at the G430 line of clubs. And that makes me mad because I hit that club so well, and PING uses old tech and laziness in developing their clubs "because we're PING".

In all truth, I want to do something I've never been able to do before and that's actually HIT the new clubs this season. Not just driver but that's your question here. I'm going Callaway because I perceive they've got the best chance to meet my crappy golf game and have something that's reliable to hit.
I was thinking PING LOL.

Which ever one fits me the best?

Cobra and Callaway are at the top of the list but I would consider them all.

So far I have hit the Smoke Max, Darkspeed Max and Qi 10 Max; Of these 3, the Qi 10 Max was way better for me. Longest and straightest of the bunch.
The Smoke Max I couldn't keep on the grid. Either a bad push or a snap hook. Just didn't fix my swing no matter the shaft I tried. The Darkspeed Max was a bit short and Spinny. It would need a better fitting to dial it in, looked great though. The Qi 10 Max was pretty easy to hit and it was long too. My speed is down and it put up some healthy ball speed numbers for me. I think with a minor tweak on the hosel it might have been really really good.

I haven't tried the Ping G430 10K though nor the Cleveland driver yet. Those are on my wish list to hit once they show up at the stores.
Given I game a G430 Max I doubt I make a move on anything this year. I am pretty much getting ideal numbers with my 430 Max. Just so stable and reliable and as long if not longer than any other driver I have played over the years.

So you're not going to try a club or a brand because of the comments of a couple people's opinions of a brand on a forum?
"Less innovative than other oems...Ping uses old tech and laziness in developing their clubs" :unsure:

Do yourself a favor and hit the new Ping driver. It might work out just like your 9w.

I'll switch it up because i said Callaway in @Tenputt thread....

Let's say Ping G430 Max10k with a RDX red shaft

I want most of them.

🤷

I have yet to hit any of the new release drivers, but the paradym smoke ai is the most interesting thus far based on release content and initial reviews. Strong ball speeds + forgiveness across the face = big appeal. It also helps that I have a good fit shaft that already has a Callaway adapter.

There are others on my radar. I am enjoying the hype with the g430 max 10k, but expect it will still spin too much for me. We'll see. I have never played a TM driver, and at least from pictures the qi10 is a lovely shape. I also like the reduced contrast with the blue face and little gray line.

Ai Smoke Max or DarkSpeed X

Top two are the Cobra Darkspeed and Callaway Ai Smoke. Both in 10.5°. Both stunningly good looking.

I’d go Cobra because I have had great luck with their drivers in the past - F7, F9 and LTDx.

I’d go Callaway because I’ve never owned one of their drivers and this would be a great way to start.

Paradym AI Smoke Max is a rocket off my miss so that’s were I’m leaning.

Had no intention of replacing my TSR2 driver none. Being the Cobra Ho that I am however and having had nearly all of the last several models in my bag. It’s going to be difficult not to jump on and order the Darkspeed X in 10.5.

I want to try the Callaway AI Smoke MAX and the Darkspeed Max in 10.5, but both would have a UST Mamiya LINQ shaft

One of the Cs - Cobra, Callaway or Cleveland. I’m going to look at all 3.

PXG Black Ops 9* with a Tensi av white 75G shaft

The Cobra Dark Speed intrigues me and have never played their clubs yet.

if not that, I’ll always go back to Cally and play the Ai Smoke.

maybe just get both and compare…

I want whichever one I hit the straightest and farthest! 🤣

I need to get over to GG or PGA Superstore and start testing soon to see if anything can displace my Callaway Rouge ST Max.

With an 85 MPH swing speed, I'm not sure that any of the new drivers can get me more distance.

Maybe with a proper fitting . . . . . maybe. 🤔

Give me the Darkspeed LS

Perk to being retired and having time and access is I test a lot when I'm replacing driver (every even year). Most looking forward to testing the Darkspeed and Qi 10 lines. I'm sure I'll also test the AI Smoke lineup. Likely won't try the new PING since I already have results on earlier G430 and typically need to avoid draw bias. Results of comparitive tests will decide which I'll buy.

Back