2024 MLB Thread + Hot Stove Off Season

Reds hitting looks like a minor league team once again tonight

My son’s baseball team is in Pittsburgh for a tournament this weekend and our team was able to walk the field at the Pirates game tonight. What an awesome ballpark IMG_9519.jpegIMG_9517.png

My son’s baseball team is in Pittsburgh for a tournament this weekend and our team was able to walk the field at the Pirates game tonight. What an awesome ballpark View attachment 9262923View attachment 9262924
My fav park in America. My son has played I. Pittsburgh a bunch and we always try to make it there. Very cool u guys got to get on the field.

Imagine trading the reigning NL batting champion and the best you get back is a team’s sixth best prospect. That is embarrassing.

Reds offense was abysmal once again. Elly had 2 hits, that's it for the whole team. No walks, nothing.

Been going around for a while now and appears to be about to be official. Seems about right. Can’t pay him after this year so take 4 prospects. But it’s just criminal what continues to be a thing.

Here is who it looks like they are getting

I am really interested to see how much he will make on the open market though. The Marlins got him for 10.8 for 1 YR.

He doesn’t play great defense and while he is an incredible hitter, he isn’t a power / rbi guy.

I am really interested to see how much he will make on the open market though. The Marlins got him for 10.8 for 1 YR.

He doesn’t play great defense and while he is an incredible hitter, he isn’t a power / rbi guy.
Based on MLB Network and Dodgers and Yankees spending, 5 at over 100 is what they think.

If i’m the Marlins, I get it. You lost 4 out of 5 starters, your best power hitter is out and your relief is shaky at best. Might as well stockpile prospects. That’s all teams like this can do.

Based on MLB Network and Dodgers and Yankees spending, 5 at over 100 is what they think.

If i’m the Marlins, I get it. You lost 4 out of 5 starters, your best power hitter is out and your relief is shaky at best. Might as well stockpile prospects. That’s all teams like this can do.

Yep, I get it.

5/100 would surprise me, but it shouldn't - He is still only 27

At some point you have to pay somebody though right? They don’t think he’s the guy?

Serious question for you… In your opinion why are the Rays so good at doing so much w/ so little and why can no other team really replicate it?

At some point you have to pay somebody though right? They don’t think he’s the guy?

Serious question for you… In your opinion why are the Rays so good at doing so much w/ so little and why can no other team really replicate it?
Well the guy running the ship for the Marlins was the guy that ran the ship for the Rays, so I think he needs a bit more time than a month. But to answer the first question, pitching. Same way Bendix did in Tampa. Sandy got a long term deal. Eury will too. Outside of that, with no cap or tv deal parity they have no shot.

Well the guy running the ship for the Marlins was the guy that ran the ship for the Rays, so I think he needs a bit more time than a month. But to answer the first question, pitching. Same way Bendix did in Tampa. Sandy got a long term deal. Eury will too. Outside of that, with no cap or tv deal parity they have no shot.
Makes sense... If you can pitch you can win games. I'm just always so impressed by the Rays. They are elite at scouting, player development, and getting players from other teams to come there and be successful.

Makes sense... If you can pitch you can win games. I'm just always so impressed by the Rays. They are elite at scouting, player development, and getting players from other teams to come there and be successful.
The downfall of course is as soon as those players get close to 5 years, they have to be traded away.

The downfall of course is as soon as those players get close to 5 years, they have to be traded away.
Yeah.. I get it. Even though I am an Evil Empire fan I do think there should be a level playing field for all. The NFL does it right.. baseball can’t get out of its own way on a lot of these things.

Yeah.. I get it. Even though I am an Evil Empire fan I do think there should be a level playing field for all. The NFL does it right.. baseball can’t get out of its own way on a lot of these things.
Be interesting to see how Bendix builds this team. I mean last year they were in the playoffs.

Be interesting to see how Bendix builds this team. I mean last year they were in the playoffs.
They def have some talent. Everyone’s arm falling off at the same time sux. You said it earlier.. if you can pitch you can compete. They are stacked there if everyone healthy.

i would have loved to have seen the Phillies get Arraez. he is a great hitter. they have Stott at 2nd but maybe they could have put Arraez at first base and moved Harper back to right field and I don't care what they would do with Castianos.

I hate it for the Marlins that they traded him but I completely get it. The losing, money and his skill set dictates the move. It might have been nice for the Marlins if they got prospects that were closer to being MLB ready, but they know their farm system.

I would argue the Marlins did replicate it last year. They’ve been decimated by injuries this year. They are doing what the Rays do when they reach the end of the road with guys or are losing - make sure they get value for guys they know aren’t in their future.

I know their record is terrible but I really don’t think they are that far away from competing. Getting the pitching healthy is job 1. They need to catch lightning in a bottle with another cheap HR source like last year with Soler. Otherwise they have a lot of pieces in place.

Back