2024 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Good call. Just putting in a bunch of veggies into your diet is a healthy way of adding good fiber.
I was doing that before but I think I may have been eating too much. I'm going to try and keep a tighter rein on my portion sizes.

I was doing that before but I think I may have been eating too much. I'm going to try and keep a tighter rein on my portion sizes.
Moderation is a key to everything, so looking at your portion sizes is really smart. Do you have a kitchen scale or are you just eyeballing stuff?

Serving size in reality is far different than the "handful" or "spoonful" that we tend to grab. I'm not saying it needs to be measuring your salad dressing, but if you save a tablespoon or two - in some of those cream based dressings that's 100+ calories.

Moderation is a key to everything, so looking at your portion sizes is really smart. Do you have a kitchen scale or are you just eyeballing stuff?

Serving size in reality is far different than the "handful" or "spoonful" that we tend to grab. I'm not saying it needs to be measuring your salad dressing, but if you save a tablespoon or two - in some of those cream based dressings that's 100+ calories.
I measure and/or weigh for breakfast and lunch, I was just eating more of that stuff than I should have.

I'm going to cut certain things by about 1/3-1/2 and see what's what.

I am not sure the issue or what you were doing, but some people don't tolerate raw veggies all that well, especially certain one, so cooking them could help.

I steamed up a bag of carrots last night along with some broccoli and sugar snap peas, this way I have a good mix of cooked and raw veggies.

I am not sure the issue or what you were doing, but some people don't tolerate raw veggies all that well, especially certain one, so cooking them could help.

I steamed up a bag of carrots last night along with some broccoli and sugar snap peas, this way I have a good mix of cooked and raw veggies.
Most of mine I cook, except for the coleslaw mix that I use as a salad base.

I have broccoli and cauliflower steamed 4 nights a week with my dinner, but I tolerate almost everything either raw or cooked.

I think I was just getting my portions too big...cause I'm a bit of a hog. 🙃

Good call. Just putting in a bunch of veggies into your diet is a healthy way of adding good fiber.
True. Also oatmeal. I put raw rolled oats in my post workout protein shake and also a full daily serving of Benefiber, which is completely tasteless. You could also use the Benefiber on cereal or in yogurt.

This is not going well at all. I need fiber.

Switching it up again to coleslaw mix as a salad base.
To me it isn't just high protein diet. If we are going to be in that space it needs to be high protein + green veggies.

One visual trick to help with this is to always use a 12" plate. Mentally divide the plate into 4 quarters. Your protein / veggie / carb / fruit should fit into each 1/4 quadrant. If we are doing a weight loss that minimizes fruit (sugar) and carbs the protein and veggie still fit within their 1/4 quadrant.

My eating has been decent but no movement on the scale. Need to tighten up things more

One visual trick to help with this is to always use a 12" plate. Mentally divide the plate into 4 quarters. Your protein / veggie / carb / fruit should fit into each 1/4 quadrant. If we are doing a weight loss that minimizes fruit (sugar) and carbs the protein and veggie still fit within their 1/4 quadrant.
There's the problem, it's a 12" plate. ;)

Actually, I believe our plates are about that size.

My protein and carbs are 1/4 of the plate each, my veggies make up 1/2 the plate.

Just cannot seem to get in a rhythm for eating. When I was work from home I could regulate it so well but back in the office is such a struggle. Started back on it today and hopefully can keep on it

I just bought this today at Publix, so I haven’t tried it yet, but these are great macros for a lactose free yogurt. And it wasn’t outrageously priced either.

IMG_0906.jpegIMG_0907.jpeg

I'm disappointed with myself. I went out with the wife and had cocktails Friday night (emotional eating/drinking) then weakly ate too much yesterday (terrible meal planning). As a result, I've got my worst weekly weigh in since I started working on my health. Goes to prove the old adage, if you don't get what you want you usually get what you deserve.

I'm disappointed with myself. I went out with the wife and had cocktails Friday night (emotional eating/drinking) then weakly ate too much yesterday (terrible meal planning). As a result, I've got my worst weekly weigh in since I started working on my health. Goes to prove the old adage, if you don't get what you want you usually get what you deserve.
It’s ok. Just don’t let it derail the program.

So, I am not a huge egg person, I eat them, and it's not that I hate them, I am just indifferent to them. When I do make them it's usually scrambled, but for some reason the last week all I want is over medium. It's so strange.

I love eggs. I have them 4 days a week usually. 3 days pan fried and Sundays scrambled with bacon.

I eat a lot of eggs. My go-to lunch is 3-4 eggs scrambled with chives, hot sauce, and a tablespoon of Boursin cheese.

I've been implementing eggs into my diet almost every day and have seen quite a bit of improvement in a lot of different areas. Feeling full after meals and just overall feeling better. I generally really enjoy eggs so hoping this trend continues.

@GolferGal

Looking for your opinion on the best Protein Bar currently out there? I have a soft spot for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough or Chocolate Peanut Butter type protein bars, but I can't seem to find anything that doesn't have terrible ingredients. I really like the Robert Irvine Fit Crunch bars, but I've heard those are full of garbage as well, which makes sense because they taste really good. :ROFLMAO:

Figured you might know of something better to try.

@GolferGal

Looking for your opinion on the best Protein Bar currently out there? I have a soft spot for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough or Chocolate Peanut Butter type protein bars, but I can't seem to find anything that doesn't have terrible ingredients. I really like the Robert Irvine Fit Crunch bars, but I've heard those are full of garbage as well, which makes sense because they taste really good. :ROFLMAO:

Figured you might know of something better to try.
Do clean ingredients matter to you? They don’t have to matter to everyone, so if not, then find what you like that fit the macros you want. If clean is more important, then you are likely going to sacrifice some taste. I like TruBar, but that is also because they are plant based (I’m lactose intolerant), but the macros aren’t the best on those, I wish they had more protein. I LOVE Built puffs, I HATE Built bars, but a lot of people love the bars too, but the texture is awful to me personally.

If you want suuuuper clean, check out the Rx protein bars, a little lower in protein then I would like, but only like 4 ingredients. However, you have to like dates because that’s the base of all the flavors.

Powercrunch bars are very tasty, but you won’t find chocolate chip or chocolate peanut butter.

You could try Outright bars, they taste great, however, the macros are a little off here too with the sugar, but it is from honey. I enjoy them from time to time.

And if you are ok with not super clean but easy to find and affordable then there is always quest bars. They have a million flavors, and if you pop them in the microwave they are a pretty good dessert.

I did NOT like the no cow bars or Think bars, but think is another popular one that is pretty easy to find.

Not sure if any of this was actually helpful, but I hope so.

Do clean ingredients matter to you? They don’t have to matter to everyone, so if not, then find what you like that fit the macros you want. If clean is more important, then you are likely going to sacrifice some taste. I like TruBar, but that is also because they are plant based (I’m lactose intolerant), but the macros aren’t the best on those, I wish they had more protein. I LOVE Built puffs, I HATE Built bars, but a lot of people love the bars too, but the texture is awful to me personally.

If you want suuuuper clean, check out the Rx protein bars, a little lower in protein then I would like, but only like 4 ingredients. However, you have to like dates because that’s the base of all the flavors.

Powercrunch bars are very tasty, but you won’t find chocolate chip or chocolate peanut butter.

You could try Outright bars, they taste great, however, the macros are a little off here too with the sugar, but it is from honey. I enjoy them from time to time.

And if you are ok with not super clean but easy to find and affordable then there is always quest bars. They have a million flavors, and if you pop them in the microwave they are a pretty good dessert.

I did NOT like the no cow bars or Think bars, but think is another popular one that is pretty easy to find.

Not sure if any of this was actually helpful, but I hope so.
It was incredibly helpful. Thank you. I don't know that I need super clean but wanted something better than what I was eating. I appreciate all the suggestions.

Back