CONTEST 2nd Golden Ticket for the 2020 Morgan Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this means JB already won the bet ?

Not true...yet. As of today the OL are in my bag as I go through the challenge. So I would be nuts to select a variable set when I am prepared to really make the OL’s work for me. So this set up is what I want at this time, for this contest. Five rounds from now, my mind might be completely changed. I just want to go to the Morgan Cup!!

For those wondering about full graphite, I did it one year and saw amazing results in terms of how my body felt after a round or two in a day. It does take some adjusting in terms of weight if you're used to irons that are 115+ in weight, but its not massive (for most that is).

For those wondering about full graphite, I did it one year and saw amazing results in terms of how my body felt after a round or two in a day. It does take some adjusting in terms of weight if you're used to irons that are 115+ in weight, but its not massive (for most that is).

Thanks for sharing your experience with graphite. I'm seriously considering graphite shafts for the irons I ultimately select. When I was last fit for irons 4 years ago, I tried graphite but was not comfortable with the feel. Now four years older, I'm willing to try again.

Here we go:

Driver: Speedzone 10.5, Tensei CK AV Blue
Fairways: Speedzone 3W and 5W, Tensei CK AV Blue
Hybrid: Speedzone One Length 21*, Recoil ESX
Irons: Speedzone One Length 5-AW, Dynamic Gold 105
Wedges: King MIM 54/58, Dynamic Gold 105

I was thinking more along the lines of a complete set of T Rails. There have been threads and discussions regarding the benefits of hybrid irons, yet most here are gravitating towards the Speedzone or Forged Tec Irons. I know it's a matter of personal choice. But, there has been so much favorable feedback for the new hybrid irons, I though more people would be gravitating in that direction.
I wouldn't rule them out as I would want a proper fitting to decide but I think for most the challenge is the look from the top especially with the shorter irons. I have a good friend who played hybrid irons this past year and had the best season of his life only to sell them and go back to a conventional looking iron and his scores immediately suffered. There were days where his swing was off yet still scored well with the hybrid irons. Fortunately he just demoed the T-rails and is ordering a set. He's finally given in that performance trumps looks. I have to admit that I hit both the T-rail and the Forged Tec demo irons last night and the T-rail is so easy to hit far. My main reason for leaning Forged Tec is the fact that I am a headcase and struggle with hitting bigger irons out of the rough where I often find myself. (admittedly this is something I'm working to resolve with a coach).

Thanks for sharing your experience with graphite. I'm seriously considering graphite shafts for the irons I ultimately select. When I was last fit for irons 4 years ago, I tried graphite but was not comfortable with the feel. Now four years older, I'm willing to try again.
I went graphite with last year's Morgan Cup, and I'm never going back to steel. Feels so much better, both the swing and the effect on my body.

The comment on how your body felt really intrigued me. No one is getting younger and that would be great to feel better after rounds. Can you pinpoint what actually causes this ?

I went graphite with last year's Morgan Cup, and I'm never going back to steel. Feels so much better, both the swing and the effect on my body.

Thanks. I'm definitely leaning towards graphite.

This year I'd have to try out One-Length. I'm torn between the SZ and forged tec, but fitting would be key and I have some time to change my mind!

Driver: Cobra SpeedZone Extreme 10.5, Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver + 1/2", Lamkin UTX Connect Black, YELLOW
3w: Cobra Speedzone 3-4 F Fairway wood, Stiff, Cobra Superlight 45, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Mid Size, Grey
2h: King Speedzone 2H, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue + 1/2", Lamkin UTX Connect Black
4-PW: King Forged Tec One Length, Stiff Flex, KBS Tour +1/2", Lamkin UTX Connect Black
50, 54, 58*: King Mim Wedge, Stiff Flex, KBS Tour +1/2", Lamkin UTX Connect Black

Wow - what a lineup!

I think i may go back and change mine to one length... this WOULD be the best place to step into that with a provided completely custom set of one length irons. I have been thinking more and more about giving it a try, so why not at the MC?

This year I'd have to try out One-Length. I'm torn between the SZ and forged tec, but fitting would be key and I have some time to change my mind!

Driver: Cobra SpeedZone Extreme 10.5, Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver + 1/2", Lamkin UTX Connect Black, YELLOW
3w: Cobra Speedzone 3-4 F Fairway wood, Stiff, Cobra Superlight 45, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Mid Size, Grey
2h: King Speedzone 2H, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue + 1/2", Lamkin UTX Connect Black
4-PW: King Forged Tec One Length, Stiff Flex, KBS Tour +1/2", Lamkin UTX Connect Black
50, 54, 58*: King Mim Wedge, Stiff Flex, KBS Tour +1/2", Lamkin UTX Connect Black

Wow - what a lineup!
Yeah buddy I see you going OL!

:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

Constantly thinking about how Jdtox needs some teammates....

@jdtox I know you like BLUE. Here's a team shirt for the ride to the locker room on game day.

LFG-Navy_1_1f6ccf2b-19b5-4abb-9dcc-e699a914d30f_800x.jpg

The comment on how your body felt really intrigued me. No one is getting younger and that would be great to feel better after rounds. Can you pinpoint what actually causes this ?

What made me a huge advocate is that I'm only 30.... I dont have a lot of aches and pains, but it was very noticeable just how awesome/less tired I was after playing with graphite in the bag. I then noticed how awesome graphite was when I went to ultimate weekend last year and was swinging irons that were shafted with 105+ grams of steel haha. Although the VSS tech in the newer offerings from True temper is legit and is the next best thing to graphite for those who don't want to go super light in the iron shaft.

This would be awesome. My set is below. The shafts are pulled off of Cobra's current customization options for the F9. I am looking for driver high launch, low spin shaft and fariways high launch mid so that limits some of the options. Here is my set:

Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9* satin black finish GD Tour AD DI 6 stiff orange color, Lamkin UTX Connect with 2 extra wraps. (I would reserve the right to reconsider swapping this for the standard Speedzone once they come out and there is some testing info. I like the concept of the Extreme for my swing though.)
Cobra Speedzone Fairway 14.5* satin black GD Tour AD DI 7 stiff orange color, Lamkin UTX Connect with 2 extra wraps.
Cobra Speedzone Fairway 19* satin black GD Tour AD DI 7 stiff orange color, Lamkin UTX Connect with 2 extra wraps.
King Custom Forged TEC 5-GW, SteelFiber i95 stiff, =1/4", 1* flat, Lamkin UTX Connect with 2 extra wraps.
King Black Wedge 54* Versatile bounce, SteelFiber i95 stiff, =1/4", 1* flat, Lamkin UTX Connect with 2 extra wraps.
King Black Wedge 58* (bent to 59*) Versatile bounce, SteelFiber i95 stiff, =1/4", 1* flat, Lamkin UTX Connect with 2 extra wraps.

This would be a really cool bag for me for a few reasons (besides I have never had all one brand in my bag). I have never matched the shafts in my irons to my wedges or generally had the lies adjusted. I have never used the Connect system which I think looks really cool.

If selected I would buy Puma shoes and some orange clothes to emulate Ricky and post a picture of it. I don't think anyone would really want me going out in public looking like that though.

This would be awesome. My set is below. The shafts are pulled off of Cobra's current customization options for the F9. I am looking for driver high launch, low spin shaft and fariways high launch mid so that limits some of the options. Here is my set:

Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9* satin black finish GD Tour AD DI 6 stiff orange color, Lamkin UTX Connect with 2 extra wraps. (I would reserve the right to reconsider swapping this for the standard Speedzone once they come out and there is some testing info. I like the concept of the Extreme for my swing though.)
Cobra Speedzone Fairway 14.5* satin black GD Tour AD DI 7 stiff orange color, Lamkin UTX Connect with 2 extra wraps.
Cobra Speedzone Fairway 19* satin black GD Tour AD DI 7 stiff orange color, Lamkin UTX Connect with 2 extra wraps.
King Custom Forged TEC 5-GW, SteelFiber i95 stiff, =1/4", 1* flat, Lamkin UTX Connect with 2 extra wraps.
King Black Wedge 54* Versatile bounce, SteelFiber i95 stiff, =1/4", 1* flat, Lamkin UTX Connect with 2 extra wraps.
King Black Wedge 58* (bent to 59*) Versatile bounce, SteelFiber i95 stiff, =1/4", 1* flat, Lamkin UTX Connect with 2 extra wraps.

This would be a really cool bag for me for a few reasons (besides I have never had all one brand in my bag). I have never matched the shafts in my irons to my wedges or generally had the lies adjusted. I have never used the Connect system which I think looks really cool.

If selected I would buy Puma shoes and some orange clothes to emulate Ricky and post a picture of it. I don't think anyone would really want me going out in public looking like that though.

Solid setup, was your fitting choice influenced at all by your True Spec fitting?

Here's my official entry into this incredible event!! Had a lot of fun going through the website and picking out options. Glad I'm able to select UST Mamiya for all shafts: Lindsay would be proud!!
All RH clubs:
Driver: King F9 Speedback in black/yellow, 10.5, UST Mamiya V2 Proforce 6F4 stiff 66 grams, Lamkin Sonar Wrap Connect, black/blue midsize
King F9 Speedback Fairway Custom in black/yellow, 5-6 F loft, UST Mamiya Helium 5 Graphite Regular, Lamkin Sonar Wrap Connect, black/blue midsize
King F9 Speedback Hybrid, 5H, Graphite Regular, UST Recoil 780 ES Smac Wrap BLK, Lamkin Sonar Wrap Connect, black/blue midsize
Irons: Custom 8 piece King Forged Tec Black Irons, 4-GW, Standard, Graphite Regular, UST Recoil 780 ES Smac Wrap BLK, Lamkin Sonar Wrap Connect, black/blue midsize
King Black Wedge Custom: 52 degree classic, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite Regular, Lamkin Sonar Wrap Connect, black/blue midsize
King Black Wedge Custom: 58 degree wide low, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite Regular, Lamkin Sonar Wrap Connect, black/blue midsize

Good luck everyone!!

Solid setup, was your fitting choice influenced at all by your True Spec fitting?

Yes it was. The True Spec fitting identified high launch low spin shafts as being good for me. In addition until they are beaten out the Steelfiber i95s seem a good fit for me. I may hit some other shaft farther but I hit these straight.

Damn. I had this 3/4 of the way filled out the other day and my power blipped out, so here we go again...........

Official Entry:
Left Hand
Driver: King Speedzone Extreme 9* (black and yellow) Tensei CK AV Blue (R-flex)
3W: King Speedzone 14.5* o (black/yellow) Tensei AV Blue 65 (R-flex)
5W: King Speedzone 18.5* o (Matte black/white) Tensei AV Blue 65 (Rlex)
Irons: 4-GW King Forged Tech UST Mamiya Recoil 95 (R-Flex)
Wedges: King MIM 52* and 56* UST Mamiya Recoil 110 (S-Flex)

All clubs gripped with Lamkin REL 58g (Nardo) (STD)

Thank you, as always, to THP and Cobra/Puma Golf for the amazing opportunity. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
Damn. I had this 3/4 of the way filled out the other day and my power blipped out, so here we go again...........

Official Entry:
Left Hand
Driver: King Speedzone Extreme 9* (black and yellow) Tensei CK AV Blue (R-flex)
3W: King Speedzone 14.5* o (black/yellow) Tensei AV Blue 65 (R-flex)
5W: King Speedzone 18.5* o (Matte black/white) Tensei AV Blue 65 (Rlex)
Irons: 4-GW King Forged Tech UST Mamiya Recoil 95 (R-Flex)
Wedges: King MIM 52* and 56* UST Mamiya Recoil 110 (S-Flex)

All clubs gripped with Lamkin REL 58g (Nardo) (STD)

Thank you, as always, to THP and Cobra/Puma Golf for the amazing opportunity. Good luck everyone.

Nardo FTW!!!

This looks awweesome!

Ok, official entry

Driver - 10.5 Speedzone Xtreme (Silver), Mitsubishi Tensei CK AV Blue, Right Hand, Standard Lie/Loft/Length, Mitsubishi CK Blue, Golf Pride Mcc Plus 4 Align, Cobra Connect
3W - Speedzone Xtreme (Silver), Right Hand, Standard Lie/Loft/Length, Mitsubishi Tensei CK AV Blue, Golf Pride Mcc Plus 4 Align, Cobra Connect
5W - Speedzone Xtreme (Silver), Right Hand, Standard Lie/Loft/Length, Mitsubishi Tensei CK AV Blue, Golf Pride Mcc Plus 4 Align, Cobra Connect
2H - Speedzone (Silver), Right Hand, Standard Lie/Loft/Length, Golf Pride Mcc Plus 4 Align, Cobra Connect
3H - Speedzone (Silver), Right Hand, Standard Lie/Loft/Length, Golf Pride Mcc Plus 4 Align, Cobra Connect
4H - Speedzone (Silver), Right Hand, Standard Lie/Loft/Length, Golf Pride Mcc Plus 4 Align, Cobra Connect
5-GW - King Forged Tec, Right Hand, Standard Lie/Loft/Length, Project X LZ 5.0, Golf Pride Mcc Plus 4, Cobra Connect

nom, nom nom

:love:

Last edited:
Exciting times...

This is an absolute blast!!!
A 2020 Morgan Cup Bag setup for me would look like this...

right hand
  • Driver speed zone extreme 9* yellow paired with the hazrdus smoke yellow stiff
  • Fairway wood king speed zone big tour fairway 12* yellow paired with the project x hazrdus yellow stiff
  • Fairway wood king speed zone big tour fairway 15* yellow paired with the project x hazrdus yellow stiff
  • Hybrid 4h king speed zone paired with the ust Mamiya 480 stiff shaft
  • Speed zone irons 4-pw with the sexy ust recoil esx stiff. All turned between 1-2 * strong and all +1” length
  • Cobra mim 54 & 60 wedges versatile grind with ust recoil 110 shafts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back