30 to 70 yds, Which Club? Swing?

rafdo

Reaction score
Handicap
Fairways
I'm a pretty good ball striker, but where I've been losing most of my strokes is inside 80 yds (30-70 yds). I have a hard time taking anything less than a full swing. I own a 50* GW that came with my iron set, and two Vokey wedges 52* & 56*. Which club should I be using from this distance? Should I choke down on a certain club? Take 1/4 backswings? What's your best advice to "foolproof" this distance?

Thanks!

I'd use a 60* wedge from all those yardages. It's really all about feel and getting some touch down on the backswing to figure out how far each goes.

for me...

Choke down on a SW.
Place ball near back foot.
Open stance up a bit.
Take my arms back to about 7:30 and wrist break (arms straight down is 6:00)
That's my 50yd shot. Assuming i actually hit the ball LOL

I have about 5 different shots I play from inside 100 depending on the lie and what I need to carry. I dedicated myself to focusing on my short game this year and it's paid off big time, my handicap has dropped 9 strokes in less than a year.

Practice lots of different shot with different clubs and find what works for you.

I use my 60 degree wedge for those yardages. 70 yards- I choke down and take a full swing. 50-60 I choke down and take 1/2 swing. Anything under 50 is a feel shot for me. I still choke down on the club, but I try to feel the shot and swing accordingly.

I use my 60 degree wedge for those yardages. 70 yards- I choke down and take a full swing. 50-60 I choke down and take 1/2 swing. Anything under 50 is a feel shot for me. I still choke down on the club, but I try to feel the shot and swing accordingly.

I'm almost the exact same. Anything over 77 yards I go up to a 56*.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I guess I get to be that guy this time. Let's keep it clean as it is the Ask the Pro section. Thanks!

75 yds: 3/4 swing
50 yds: 1/2 swing with the club slightly open

Less than that it's basically guess work. Like everyone else said, feel the touch.

Seriously guys, keep this thread clear until Andy gets a chance to respond. There's some great advice in here but it is the "Ask the Pro" section.

oopps sorry....I replied off the new post page and didn't even look to see what thread it was in.....my bad.

I think my question got lost in the shuffle with the change over to GolfTec pros. Would be nice to get some tips from the new GolfTec crew :)

I'm a pretty good ball striker, but where I've been losing most of my strokes is inside 80 yds (30-70 yds). I have a hard time taking anything less than a full swing. I own a 50* GW that came with my iron set, and two Vokey wedges 52* & 56*. Which club should I be using from this distance? Should I choke down on a certain club? Take 1/4 backswings? What's your best advice to "foolproof" this distance?

Thanks!

Sorry for the late response.

There are a couple of ways to handle pitch shots.

1. Make half swings with the club to shorten the backswing that helps you control the distance.

2. Grip down on the club from 1/2" to 1" and continue with your full backswing

Once you have established what your full swing distance with your wedges are, then you can start learning to control distance with shorter swings or by gripping down the club with a full swing.

If you want to limit your backswing then you will want to practice doing this in front of a mirror so you can see and feel the correct arm position. Or you could have a friend help you and say yes that is good or no that is not good.

I would also want you to remove the 50* out of your bag. Your Gap wedge is 2* difference from your 52* and probably the same difference from your pitching wedge. So you have 3 clubs that are going very similar distances. That could be a big reason why you have trouble with these yardages and trying to understand why you have the problem. Most PW are around 46*-48* so your 50* is too close. Your bag should have the PW, 52*, 56* in it to help with the correct gapping.

Boy that was looonngg! But hope it helps! :)

Lance West
Certified Coach
GolfTEC -Minnetonka, MN

Sorry for the late response.

There are a couple of ways to handle pitch shots.

1. Make half swings with the club to shorten the backswing that helps you control the distance.

2. Grip down on the club from 1/2" to 1" and continue with your full backswing

Once you have established what your full swing distance with your wedges are, then you can start learning to control distance with shorter swings or by gripping down the club with a full swing.

If you want to limit your backswing then you will want to practice doing this in front of a mirror so you can see and feel the correct arm position. Or you could have a friend help you and say yes that is good or no that is not good.

I would also want you to remove the 50* out of your bag. Your Gap wedge is 2* difference from your 52* and probably the same difference from your pitching wedge. So you have 3 clubs that are going very similar distances. That could be a big reason why you have trouble with these yardages and trying to understand why you have the problem. Most PW are around 46*-48* so your 50* is too close. Your bag should have the PW, 52*, 56* in it to help with the correct gapping.

Boy that was looonngg! But hope it helps! :)

Lance West
Certified Coach
GolfTEC -Minnetonka, MN
Thanks for the detailed response, I really appreciate it!
Do you think replacing the 50* GW with a 60* lob wedge would help. Then I can take full swings with the lob wedge from say... 50yds? Or should I just try to master all 70->in with my 56* sand wedge?

I use my 51 degree wedge for everything inside 100 yards (including bunkers) unless I'm planning a bump and run or if it's a certain type of chip.
I put a heel grind on my wedge to allow it to lie wide open if needed and I use a variety of swings and ball positions depending on what I'm trying to do.
For me, a one-wedge / multiple application approach works better than carrying a bunch of different wedges around and trying to decide which one is used for what.

I like to keep things simple. :D

Thanks for the detailed response, I really appreciate it!
Do you think replacing the 50* GW with a 60* lob wedge would help. Then I can take full swings with the lob wedge from say... 50yds? Or should I just try to master all 70->in with my 56* sand wedge?

That would be a good thing to do. I would give both a try. Like I said earlier learn what full yardages are first. Then you can work on the shorter yardages with that same club later.

Lance West
Certified Coach
GolfTEC - Minnetonka, MN

Back