You might want to look at an adjustable 3W. I think some of them offer a reasonable breadth of loft adjustability. I am going to look at a 3W that is adjustable as it fits my hard case travel bag better (can detach the head). Personally, 3W and 3H are clubs that I hit pretty well.

Heavenwood anyone? Super easy to hit in an easy to handle package, may even help distance! Why bag something you struggle with just for the sake of bagging it? Play something you can hit and work from there no matter what the loft or number is on the club.

Arent the heavenwoods older? If so I am sure they can be had cheap and might be worth it just to experiement to see if it fills that gap.

I was thinking of the heavenwood from like the early 2000's, didn't know they did a remake
Back and better than ever friend. It is just silly easy to hit. Really a unique concept but executed beautifully.

I support the 4w option. I am one who struggles with 3w off the deck and am considering a higher lofted wood that i can hit off the tee as an option when driver is not required as well as a viable option for off the deck.

the hybrid is one where i have had most success with the g series from Ping bot the g20 and g25.

In 50+ years of playing golf I've always struggled with a 3W from the deck. I had some success when I was younger, but was never consistent. I've used a 4W with some success. Now I carry a TM RBZ Stage 2 3W with the HL option, which I believe is 17 degrees. I've only played a couple of rounds with it but so far it seems to be the best 3W I've ever owned - but time will tell. I also went with a TM RBZ Stage 2 hybrid (4H) in 22 degrees, which goes as far, if not farther than previous hybrids that I've tried, even a 3H.

As others have recommended, maybe a 4W is the answer, or maybe a 3W in HL - many companies carry them. Good luck in your search.

I think the FWs and the hybrids are the toughest things to "fit" in the bag. They're the clubs that have rotated the most over the last few years.

I was thinking of the heavenwood from like the early 2000's, didn't know they did a remake
Yeah, be careful ... these are new Callaway clubs tied into their new Big Bertha line.

I carry a 3w but use it exclusively off the tee. I also carry utility irons because my main miss is club path and face related not impact location. I struggle with missing hybrids long ways off target so I don't carry them. I agree that more loft and shorter shaft will benefit most people who struggle with 3w or low lofted hybrids. 4w or an adjustable 5w is a good option. There are many good clubs out there so don't give up :)

I carry a 3w but use it exclusively off the tee. I also carry utility irons because my main miss is club path and face related not impact location. I struggle with missing hybrids long ways off target so I don't carry them. I agree that more loft and shorter shaft will benefit most people who struggle with 3w or low lofted hybrids. 4w or an adjustable 5w is a good option. There are many good clubs out there so don't give up :)

That is my biggest concern with hybrids is i block them so far right I am better off playing a 5 iron at least im on the right hole still.

I have this in my bag:

WP_20150115_005_zpsgo4pnetj.jpg

It's as close to point and shoot as you can get, IMHO. If you can find one of these or it's Trilogy predecessor, give it a try.

I'd say your best options to try:

- Callway Heavenwood
- 4w
- 18*-21* driving/utility irons
- Callaway Apex 3i

That last one is based off my personal experience. I suck with hybrids, I'm decent with my 3w, and I own a full set of Apex irons and Apex UT irons. For that 3i spot, I actually hit my regular Apex better than the Apex UT. I don't know if it's that tungsten weight in the sole or what, but I can get the ball up in the air and moving better with that club. If you get a chance, give it a test hit and see what you think.

Depending on the striking characteristics, a 4-wood will often go farther than a 3 wood. The extra loft just helps it get to a better peak trajectory, and a slightly shorter shaft helps control. I hit a 17° 4-wood farther than any 3-wood I've ever gamed.

I have this in my bag:

WP_20150115_005_zpsgo4pnetj.jpg

It's as close to point and shoot as you can get, IMHO. If you can find one of these or it's Trilogy predecessor, give it a try.

These are on sale at rock bottom

I second the 588 line. Very good and now cheap.

Cobra Baffler hybrids are usually very easy to hit as well.

Have you ever had a lesson that focused on hitting these longer clubs? If you're having issues finding any option that works, you may want to look to find the source of the issue.

That being said, I have found my go to fairways in the Cally V-Series 3/5 woods. Both can be hit from the grass but the 5 is just ridiculously easy to launch high and far.

My question to all this is how many of you hit FW off the deck a lot? I barely go at par 5s in 2 as. 9 outa 10 times it bites me.

I can't hit a 3w off the deck consistently. I play a 17* 4 wood and usually carry a 20-21* 7 wood as well. 7 wood is far easier for me to hit than 3h. I also cut the shafts to at least 3/4" shorter than standard.

My question to all this is how many of you hit FW off the deck a lot? I barely go at par 5s in 2 as. 9 outa 10 times it bites me.

I sure as hell don't. Only when I'm really looking to f*** up a hole. I have moments of weakness, and the occasional dumb luck, but I try to avoid it altogether.

Goes back to my statement about a club working in theory. Having a club that should go xxx yards is much different than one that actually will go that far when you swing it like you normally swing. I learned a few years ago that there's no point tyring to make something that isn't there be there. I'm much better off hitting the longest hybrid I'm consistent with and then trying to get up and down.

I sure as hell don't. Only when I'm really looking to f*** up a hole. I have moments of weakness, and the occasional dumb luck, but I try to avoid it altogether.

Goes back to my statement about a club working in theory. Having a club that should go xxx yards is much different than one that actually will go that far when you swing it like you normally swing. I learned a few years ago that there's no point tyring to make something that isn't there be there. I'm much better off hitting the longest hybrid I'm consistent with and then trying to get up and down.

Thats why the 3w is coming out of my bag. Just don't use it and I am no consistant with it. I am thinking 5w and 7w or if I can find a hybrid I dont brick to the right like a hockey slapshot I will go with a 3h and 5w. So many options. I remember when it was driver, 3w, 5w, 3-pw, sw, putter.

The only par 5's I can reach in two are called "short par 4's".

Update. I have hit just about everything on the market from 3w, 4w, adjustable, hybrids, and utility irons. So far the short list based on feel, trackman stats, and everything comes down to the Cobra FlyZ and the Callaway XR 3w. Although the 588 and Classic XL were also on that list, there is just something about these two that feel right with the edge going to the XR. I may have a new club in my bag in the next few hours...

Last edited:
To the OP...
What do you need a 3 wood for? I rarely use my 3 wood off the fairway but I do use it off the tee often, so I stay away from shallow face 3 woods. I also have mine at 42.5" which is 3/4" shorter than the way it came.
I also carry a 3h and a 4h but they were both shortened by 3/4".
I am not a long hitter, but I am consistent and pretty straight, possible due to the shorter shaft woods and hybrids.
I am comfortable hitting my 3h 220 yards.
If I am 230+ from the green on Par 5s and there is any sort of trouble, I lay up, plain and simple. So I don't really have a need for a 3 wood off the deck.
Might be boring golf, but it works!

Another option if you don't like the shorter 3 wood, I used to use a 5 wood that I had lengthened. It was easier to launch than a 3 wood.

I love my three wood 9032ti it's square, and love my 4 hybrid, but in between I have the same problem I'm getting ready to try several 19 degree hybrids, a 15 and 16 degree hybrid, couple five woods and a four wood, surely something will work. I as well appreciate all the comments.

Back