To the OP...
What do you need a 3 wood for?

This is solving a gap area for me at the 180-210 range. The 3h I have is horrible for me. At this point I'm sure is mostly mental, but that doesn't change the fact that I want to snap it. My 4h is solid, but I will only get about 170-185 out of it. This may be me trying to "buy a fix", but at this point I'm good with that.

Have you tried the 19* version of your 4H?
If that works well for you, why not stick with the same club? Same head, same shaft etc...

This is solving a gap area for me at the 180-210 range. The 3h I have is horrible for me. At this point I'm sure is mostly mental, but that doesn't change the fact that I want to snap it. My 4h is solid, but I will only get about 170-185 out of it. This may be me trying to "buy a fix", but at this point I'm good with that.

Have you tried the 19* version of your 4H?
If that works well for you, why not stick with the same club? Same head, same shaft etc...
Yup, just did about an hour ago. Worked well for me off the deck, but off the tee it didn't carry as well as the 3w or 4w.

So don't use a tee? Sorry... haha... That was too simple a reply...

If your 4h is getting you close to 185, then I figure your 3h should be max at around 200. Is that what you got? If yes, then it fits!!

Then find a 4w to do the 210+ range

Yup, just did about an hour ago. Worked well for me off the deck, but off the tee it didn't carry as well as the 3w or 4w.

So don't use a tee? Sorry... haha... That was too simple a reply...

If your 4h is getting you close to 185, then I figure your 3h should be max at around 200. Is that what you got? If yes, then it fits!!

Then find a 4w to do the 210+ range
That's my kind of reply right there!

Right now I'm sitting with the XR 3w and 4w. I'm hitting the 3 better than the 4. I have put about 30 swings on each on and off the deck sitting about 205-210 with the 3w and about 5-10 yards shorter with the 3w. They are going to let me take the 3w out for a few rounds, then the 4w and see which are better for me in live play.

I'm curious, why don't you guys learn to hit the clubs you're taking out of the bag. Not knowing is leaving huge gaps in your bag.

I'm curious, why don't you guys learn to hit the clubs you're taking out of the bag. Not knowing is leaving huge gaps in your bag.

Because new clubs are more fun.
I love shiny things.

Bc you don't live close enough to fix me :)

My question to all this is how many of you hit FW off the deck a lot? I barely go at par 5s in 2 as. 9 outa 10 times it bites me.

I wouldn't say it's something I do a lot, but if there aren't any glaring hazards I will pull the FW and try and get on in two. I certainly do it a lot more now that I've got a FW that goes where I point it and flys high at that. 9 times out of 10 I hit 3w off the tee and play the hole as a three shot-er.

My question to all this is how many of you hit FW off the deck a lot? I barely go at par 5s in 2 as. 9 outa 10 times it bites me.
My drives and irons are so short I have to, even on par 4s a lot. I hit my 3w decently well, my mini driver needs work. Just picked up a 5w.

I do it a lot. I am trying to calm it down a bit though. I need to realize even if I can hit the yardage that I am at it still may not leave me in the best position for Birdie.

Because you are nowhere near Charlotte.

Man this thread come up at a perfect time. I am looking at 4/5w or 3h myself.

Me too!
I'm leaning toward a Ping g30 or older g25 4 wood. I've just got to try some different shafts.

My drives and irons are so short I have to, even on par 4s a lot. I hit my 3w decently well, my mini driver needs work. Just picked up a 5w.
Honestly, handicap-wise you're in a similar boat to me. I imagine that your 3W gets you into more trouble than it helps you make par. Play bogey golf, so for par 4's try to get on in 3. That means if you hit driver off the tee, two iron shots should get you on the green.

The temptation to make GIR, as a high handicapper is part of the reason my scores blow up sometimes. I've found that if I play within myself, and shoot for bogey, I have lower scores. Once you improve, and have a more consistent swing, you'll be able to increase your length which will help you play sub-bogey golf. Just my two cents as a fellow high handicapper.

Honestly, handicap-wise you're in a similar boat to me. I imagine that your 3W gets you into more trouble than it helps you make par. Play bogey golf, so for par 4's try to get on in 3. That means if you hit driver off the tee, two iron shots should get you on the green.

The temptation to make GIR, as a high handicapper is part of the reason my scores blow up sometimes. I've found that if I play within myself, and shoot for bogey, I have lower scores. Once you improve, and have a more consistent swing, you'll be able to increase your length which will help you play sub-bogey golf. Just my two cents as a fellow high handicapper.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Prefect point and I couldn't agree more. In general I play par/bogey golf and have no real complaints, because it is about the fun for me. I play 2-4 times a week combined with practice on the range and with that there are times when I am all by my lonesome that I turn on a short par 5 and I want to reach. I want to make sure that the tools that I have, along with my lessons, and practice that when the situation calls, I can at least have a shot at executing. This also goes for those times where a driver is too long off the tee on tight turns.

Because new clubs are more fun.
I love shiny things.

Shiny is good. Plus when the Mrs says I can have something new... why turn down the kitchen pass! :banana:

I have a G30 3W lofted up so it's almost at 4W loft, and I hit that far better than any other fairway I've tried.

Like a lot of others have mentioned in the thread, not trying to swing out of your shoes is key with a fairway. I don't seem to get along with hybrids, and I'd much rather hit the G30 if/when I can.

I couldn't hit either so I went with a mixture.... I got the Fybrid

I couldn't hit either so I went with a mixture.... I got the Fybrid
Friend of mine on facebook when I asked if anyone of my friends had any fairways woods available said he would give me his old 3 fybrid. Said its from 2009 and he has played it the whole time since then. never used one or even seen one so I did't pay much attention.

Oh, I don't go for greens with my 3W.

On say a typical 400-ish yard par 4, my drive will go 185-200 yds. 3W will go another 150 or so, and I'm taking a 3rd shot onto the green. I happen to hit my 3W pretty straight so I'm not afraid to pull it out of the bag. That's why I just picked up a 5W, for those situations where that 2nd shot might go in a hazard so instead I can lay up a bit shorter.

I'm at a point in my learning right now where I get more benefit swinging slower and trying to get the mechanics right so I'm never swinging out of my shoes trying to reach anything. Every time I do it's a guaranteed shank. :)

Edit: To prove I'm not internet golfing (ignore the 2i, that's actually a 18* Apex UT that I ended up using for a bunch of long punch shots in the one round it has been in the bag):

SkjHlPc.jpg

RkPXm3e.jpg

Thank you again for everyone who has contributed to this thread. I know it has helped me out a TON and I hope it helps others out too.

I was able to get a Callaway XR 3w and 4w both on stiff to take out on the course for a few rounds. Based on everything that I learned from swinging about 20 different clubs yesterday, those two have matched up to me well. I hope to be able to get out this afternoon for a quick 9. Weather looks like it will be about 35f with windchill, 10-15mph winds, and the rain holding off. I'll update as soon as I am done.

nullnomad: Congrats on the new purchase! Hope it works for you.

Deuce: Your strategy is what I'm training myself to do. It's easier said than done.

David A: Your distances are more indicative of what I see out of the average person on the course. Maybe add 15 yards. Internet golf is another story, but don't let that get in your head.

One thing I will say though about playing more at average distances, a FW off the deck is more important. I'm not talking about trying to make par 5s in two either. If I'm playing a 400-450 yard par four, then I need a drive paired with a FW or full hybrid to get a wedge shot that leaves a high percentage coming in. It's not just par 5s.

nullnomad: Congrats on the new purchase! Hope it works for you.

Deuce: Your strategy is what I'm training myself to do. It's easier said than done.

David A: Your distances are more indicative of what I see out of the average person on the course. Maybe add 15 yards. Internet golf is another story, but don't let that get in your head.

One thing I will say though about playing more at average distances, a FW off the deck is more important. I'm not talking about trying to make par 5s in two either. If I'm playing a 400-450 yard par four, then I need a drive paired with a FW or full hybrid to get a wedge shot that leaves a high percentage coming in. It's not just par 5s.

I think that's where a lot of people are at but affraid to admit it. Thats why this is a struggle for so many golfers, trying to find that fw/hyrid that lets them get to longer par 4's with a decent shot at bogey or possibly par with a solid up and down. I struggle with my 3w so a 4/5w or a hybrid that I can be consistant with is something I am pondering hard.

I think that's where a lot of people are at but affraid to admit it. Thats why this is a struggle for so many golfers, trying to find that fw/hyrid that lets them get to longer par 4's with a decent shot at bogey or possibly par with a solid up and down. I struggle with my 3w so a 4/5w or a hybrid that I can be consistant with is something I am pondering hard.

I'm in my late 30s, in decent shape (walk more than 50% of my rounds) and don't try to kill it. I contend that in most random foursomes I play with at munis I'm about average in distance.

I'm just as guilty as anyone about lying to myself about the realities of course management. That's why I'm trying to become more like Deuce.

Sure, I've had 3ws or 4ws off the deck go 220+, but the average one goes about 195-205. Sure I've hit some perfectly struck drives that went 245 on the GPS, but the average one is out there about 215. I can hit a 3/4 hybrid 185 on a good strike, but that's more realistically a 165-170 yard club. Those are the numbers that I allocate.

That means a 425ish yard par four looks like driver, FW or hybrid and wedge in. If I have to play FW off the tee, then it is FW, FW, wedge or FW, hybrid and something like a 7 or 8 iron. That alone shows the importance of the FW/hybrid off the deck.

Then I have to have the reality that I'm not that good. Sure on the internet, I'm 14/14 off the tee with the driver, but in real life I'm 11/14 if I'm lucky. On those three holes, then I'm often looking at having to make up some big yardage if I duff it or after I chip out. On a longer par 4, then it looks more like driver, potential safety, FW, hybrid, wedge. If it's a longer par 5, then it is driver, potential safety, fw, fw, 7/8 iron in.

Some would argue to play it forward, but I don't play the blues and already play the whites. Yes, I could tee it forward and have done that and shot some low scores, but I think the average length golfer should experience the course from the average length tee set (whites).

I think I come full circle though and say that for the average hack, the FW or long hybrid off the deck is incredibly important shot. We should do as Tadashi says and get lessons and learn how to hit them. As Hawk mentions, an easier (though much less effective) "fix" is to try and find the right club. We're here talking clubs, so that's where we're at for this discussion.

I'll admit that I'm messing around with the Adams Tight Lies FWs right now for this very reason. Just give me the easiest thing made to launch and I'll figure out what to do from there.

Back