Personally, I'd probably carry a 68 if they made it over carrying a 3 and 4 iron. I drive the ball long, and don't use much lower than a 7 iron during a round so I'd go for being able to take a full swing from 50 yds out. At the same time, I've gotten pretty good at opening the club face, but still a higher error rate that way.

Personally, I'd probably carry a 68 if they made it over carrying a 3 and 4 iron. I drive the ball long, and don't use much lower than a 7 iron during a round so I'd go for being able to take a full swing from 50 yds out. At the same time, I've gotten pretty good at opening the club face, but still a higher error rate that way.

What do you use when you get caught in the same or need to make a flop shot? What about those short par threes?

I appreciate all the comments....
the main reason I started the thread was that I sold my entire lot of backup clubs...
(one lonely CrazE putter and 54* Vokey wedge remain)

I recently won/acquired a new set of toys that will have me going down the 4 Iron path as the extra club.
I really appreciate all the inputs and it looked like most of the group said a 58° was plenty and to find another avenue for an extra club..

thanks again
bama

:laughing:

I have goofed around with 64* wedges and I swear the harder you swing the shorter and higher it goes. I have a 58 on the way, hopefully if sees more use than my old 60 did. Generally speaking I see more use from having extra help at the short end as opposed to the long end.

Bama, maybe consider a scoring club like a chipper or Niblick type club. Ego aside I bet that would be more useful than a very highly lofted wedge.

Put me in this category too. I hit a high ball to start with. I grabbed a used 64 to take out for 1 round and when I stepped on it it went a mile high, but could only get about 30 yards out of it.
I currently bag 45, 50, 56, and 60. The 56 and 60 are Cleveland CG15's. Pondering the idea of going 54 and 58 for 2 reasons: 1. have a bit more gap than I am comfortable with between the 50 and 56, 2. the 60 gets me in trouble from time to time-much more difficult for me to hit than the 56.

Back