bama

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 8.9
SO I have a PW,GW,SW,LW...(46°,50°, 54° & 58° respectively)
I carry a 3W, 3H & 4H...I keep the 5W on the bench as most courses I play I would play the hybrids more...

So...Lets assume you want to keep a good makeup where you could change out some clubs depending on the course...

Would you consider going to 5th Wedge depending on the course...?? in my case 62° or 64°??

Bama

I wouldnt. Why?

58 is more than enough loft one should ever need on normal courses imo, and adding a club just makes you have more choices to screw up.

If it were me, I would use 1 club for all of your chips and pitches, and learn to use 1 club the best rather than 5 clubs just pretty good.

FTR the PW is not a wedge, its an iron :alien:

I carry a 3W, 3H & 4H...I keep the 5W on the bench as most courses I play I would play the hybrids more...

So...Lets assume you want to keep a good makeup where you could change out some clubs depending on the course...

Would you consider going to 5th Wedge depending on the course...?? in my case 62° or 64°??

Bama

I personally think 58* is enough loft to pull off any shot you can with a 62 or 64, so my answer would be no.

I`m considering a 5th wedge, I never use my 3 wood and are much more comfertable with my 3 hybrid and it`s only a 15 yards shorter than the 3 wood, so I`m really considering ditching it for a 64* wedge. But I will have to do some testing on what new club will benefit me the most.

I am struggling with the decision to put a 4th wedge in the bag, no way could I see myself dropping another club to make room for a 5th

I tried a 64 from one of my friends and knocked the bill of my cap off my head. Nope not the right club for me. I have a 50 & 56 wedge and that is it.

I wouldnt. Why?

58 is more than enough loft one should ever need on normal courses imo, and adding a club just makes you have more choices to screw up.

If it were me, I would use 1 club for all of your chips and pitches, and learn to use 1 club the best rather than 5 clubs just pretty good.

FTR the PW is not a wedge, its an iron :alien:

It really depends on your gam, and your comfort level, but, and I would tend to agree with Thainer on this.

Don't see a need for that much loft, but we are all different. I rarely use a 60, much less anything higher.

I'm pretty much in agreement with the majority here that whatever shot you want from the 60-64 you can do with the 58. No sense to add to that mix that just might confuse you more.

I have a cg15 in 64 lying around. I bagged it when I was deciding which to carry- it's useful I guess for one type of shot- the lob over a bunker; or greenside trouble.

Just not worth having for so few shots.

I ask myself the same question all the time because I have the exact same bag setup. I have a 64 that I bought to play around with, but I haven't used it on the course yet. I think it depends on how good your short game is and how often you short side yourself, that said though there isn't a whole lot a 64 can do that a opened up 60 or 58 can't.

Lets say the average person hits his 9 iron 140 yards and his 3 iron 230 yards. Thats 7 different clubs for 90 total yards. If you carry 2 wedges that really limits your club selection from inside 140 yards....why limit yourself?

I carry 5 wedges. PW, 52*, 56*, 60*, 64*. I use every one of them almost every time i play. I say go for it!! You wont regret it.

I`m considering a 5th wedge, I never use my 3 wood and are much more comfertable with my 3 hybrid and it`s only a 15 yards shorter than the 3 wood, so I`m really considering ditching it for a 64* wedge. But I will have to do some testing on what new club will benefit me the most.

I used to game a GW, SW and a 64. I loved the 64. It helped me include LESS variables than opening up the 58/56 and therefore I didn't blade shots anymore. I say if you have that shot even 3x a round and you don't mind bag it. It helped me around the green, even if it was 3-5 times per round. That kept me from being in said bunker more often than not and like I said, less variables = better swing/shot results in the end.

I have a cg15 in 64 lying around. I bagged it when I was deciding which to carry- it's useful I guess for one type of shot- the lob over a bunker; or greenside trouble.

Just not worth having for so few shots.

this is a perfect example.....almost all golfers find themselves with a lob over a bunker or green-side trouble in most rounds they play. How often do you need to hit a 3 iron (lets say 220-240)? Probably less than often than you need a flop shot right? I would rather drop the 3iron and add the 64* personally. Of course, everyone is different ;)

I carry a 55* and a 50* and thats plenty. I chipped up and over a bermed bunker friday no problem with a 55*. If I would have tried a 60* lob 50/50 chance I would have come up short and right in the sand. I've got a 61* I am yet to carry btw.

Bama

Nope. The only reason I even carry 4 is because I prefer a 54° SW. I only use that club for sand, so my general wedges are 47°, 51° and 56°. If I had to I could survive without the 54.

I dont know if you are on twitter but if you are i would fallow Hank Hany. Hank says there is no reason to go over 58* unless you are a "power player". At golf galaxy or a local golf shop they should be able to help out with a wedge gap fitting. I dont see a need for a wedge with that much loft. You can open up the face on your 58* and have the same result.

No one needs anything over a 60. I can open the face and put it anywhere I want with as much height and bite as any wedge over a 60*. Most professional instructors say anything over 58* is completely unnecessary and harmful to most amateurs game. I'll go with what they say + 2*, haha.

I have 5 wedges I'm comfy with both my 60 and 64 I like knowing when to use both of them and when not to all preference i guess

Thainer, question. I have an AW and I have started using it for knockdown shots from like 100-120 shots is that recommended? Like is it smart to keep that?

Last edited:
thanks all for the great input...!!!
I can see where the majority lies.
I guess Tyork hit the nail on the head for me and 2 of the courses I play a lot.
I tend to find myself short sided (I know...bad course management) a few times a round.
While I do use my 58° for those shots, I am just wondering if I could do better with a 62° or 64°

It all comes down to the fact of having an arsenal of clubs that you might be able to change out for different courses.

The question to myself is....Could I pull out my 3H or 4H and have more usable situations with a 62°

They say the scoring region in golf is 100 yards and in...might as well have as many weapons for those yardages, right???

Again thanks for all the comments...

thanks all for the great input...!!!
I can see where the majority lies.
I guess Tyork hit the nail on the head for me and 2 of the courses I play a lot.
I tend to find myself short sided (I know...bad course management) a few times a round.
While I do use my 58° for those shots, I am just wondering if I could do better with a 62° or 64°

It all comes down to the fact of having an arsenal of clubs that you might be able to change out for different courses.

The question to myself is....Could I pull out my 3H or 4H and have more usable situations with a 62°

They say the scoring region in golf is 100 yards and in...might as well have as many weapons for those yardages, right???

Again thanks for all the comments...

I'd personally rather have less choices to make, instead of more to think about!

Your correct that the majority of the strokes lie within 100 yards, but just look at a pros bag... they do not carry 5 wedges. Yes, every now and then a player like Phil does it, but he has a few things we don't... he's a phenomenal golfer, he has a ton of distance and can afford to carry 5 wedges, etc... Point is, go look at a guy like Tiger. Driver, 3W, 5W, 3-PW, putter, 56*, 60*: Translation --> If the best golfer in the world (and yes, that's obviously now debatable, but he has been for over a decade) only carries 2 wedges outside of his PW, 4 + a PW is a ton of clubs wasted on wedges for an amateur.

No one needs anything over a 60. I can open the face and put it anywhere I want with as much height and bite as any wedge over a 60*. Most professional instructors say anything over 58* is completely unnecessary and harmful to most amateurs game. I'll go with what they say + 2*, haha.

These "absolute" statements are just not correct. Every golfer is different and what works for one might not work for another. Take a player that I play with frequently. He struggles out of well groomed "harder" sand. Yet when he added a 64* wedge was back down to a 7 handicap from a 11 because it worked for him.

Your correct that the majority of the strokes lie within 100 yards, but just look at a pros bag... they do not carry 5 wedges. Yes, every now and then a player like Phil does it, but he has a few things we don't... he's a phenomenal golfer, he has a ton of distance and can afford to carry 5 wedges, etc... Point is, go look at a guy like Tiger. Driver, 3W, 5W, 3-PW, putter, 56*, 60*: Translation --> If the best golfer in the world (and yes, that's obviously now debatable, but he has been for over a decade) only carries 2 wedges outside of his PW, 4 + a PW is a ton of clubs wasted on wedges for an amateur.

And nobody should ever emulate their bag based on what a pro plays. You should play to strengths and weaknesses of ones game, not what a guy on TV does.

My two cents are that the wedge game is limitless on the possibilities. But I first need those shots in my bag. If I practice flop/lobs a lot I can open a 55* and still hit a high 5-10yd with no roll. I've got a 61* I never carry, but I would make room for a low bounce 58*.

I find that, for 99 percent of situations, my 52 and 56 degree cover it. I am considering adding a 64 just for lobs shots and flops, but I am not going to fret over not having one.

Back