A question about shafts with SmacWrap - vibration absorption

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Have heard some positive chatter here on the UST SmacWrap. I've got chronic wrist issues, that do get worse with over use. I cringe when I have to change the loft of an adjustable club, opening food jars could cause a set back etc. Are these game changers for those with wrist issues or not much different than any graphite shaft? Also, I was thinking eventually I will be going to senior shafts. Are these made in sr shaft or are they regular only? I play about 10 times a year. Thanks, CG

Smacwrap is a known entity outside of golf too and it definitely works to dampen vibrations. I used them for a year when I had a wrist issue and I liked them. It’s not scientific by any means but I thought they performed well. And I’m pretty sure they come in a senior flex

Have heard some positive chatter here on the UST SmacWrap. I've got chronic wrist issues, that do get worse with over use. I cringe when I have to change the loft of an adjustable club, opening food jars could cause a set back etc. Are these game changers for those with wrist issues or not much different than any graphite shaft? Also, I was thinking eventually I will be going to senior shafts. Are these made in sr shaft or are they regular only? I play about 10 times a year. Thanks, CG
They absolutely make a SR/A (F2 in their nomenclature) flex. And as for game changing, they’re among the best dampening shafts I’ve hit, and I’ve hit more than my fair share.

I have been playing them for about 2.5 years and came from non-SmacWrap Recoils. I feel the SmacWrap shafts do yield a little less vibration.

Played them in a set of 765's and liked them alot. They do what they say.

If you'd like to give the Smac wraps a test drive, you can do the Hogan irons demo. Both the PTx and the Edge are available as demos with the Smac wrap Recoil in regular and senior shafts.

If you'd like to give the Smac wraps a test drive, you can do the Hogan irons demo. Both the PTx and the Edge are available as demos with the Smac wrap Recoil in regular and senior shafts.

Great promotion!!

Last edited:
SMACWrap helps especially with the sting of off-center hits - and they tend to be available in lighter weights. Both designed to help the golfer that needs speed and great damping for imperfect strikes.

My experience with SmacWrap was very positive. Even up against regular recoils, the vibration dampening was noticable. Subjective, yes, but I felt that I could tell the difference

My father in law plays these and they are phenomenal for him at 70 years old. No wrist or elbow pain. The dampening is best in class.

I have wrist issues and now bloody shoulder issues. These shafts don’t make a blind bit of difference. I did have some tennis elbow. That did clear up. Don’t know if it was down to the shafts or pure coincidence.

@e1iterate neither set of your recoils (proto or reg) have smacwrap in it right?

I too love shafts that dampen vibration but was a tad disappointed with Smacwrap in my Recoils -- made them feel 'dead' to me. Liking Recoils without that..and also Steelfiber in my irons -- paired with a softer ball...working out well.

My father in law plays these and they are phenomenal for him at 70 years old. No wrist or elbow pain. The dampening is best in class.

Nice, does the shot feel better than a normal shaft or just different?

Yes yes yes!!! I have had both Rotator cuffs surgically fixed and I am getting arthritis in my hands and after switching to Recoils I do not have wrist and shoulder pain like I did with my KBS tour 90s which I loved.

I have the 780's and would never consider going back to steel.

I had wrist issues (TFCC and tendonitis) and was out of golf for 8 months. (I'm 36 fwiw)

When I came back I switched to 780 ES Smac Wrap shafts and they are incredible. But another piece of my 'pain free' golf playing puzzle has been Srixon 585 irons. The turf interaction with Srixon, compared to others, is very noticeable.

I really recommend trying that combo if you have wrist injuries. My wrist injuries are pretty much non-existent now. I was on the range for 2 hours yesterday and barely feel it in my wrist.

My only recommendation for UST is that they make the Smac Wrap available in the Recoil 95s.

Last edited:
Good stuff DeadPoets. I am in-between a regular and senior shaft. It looks like these are light and a regular shaft might be ok? HB Turbos and Smac Wraps are on my pondor list.

+++ on Smacwrap dampening

Is it a game changer?

Tough question. On one hand (no pun intended), an injury is an injury. My injured finger tendon from 3 years still gets swollen and sore after golf. On the other hand, when I demo other irons I can definitely tell the difference. This is especially true with steel shafts. I am not sure I could keep playing if I had to game steel shafts.

Last edited:
@Carolina Golfer if you're having issues opening jars and such consider trying out an electric jar opener. We picked one up from somewhere and it's come in handy for my wife when I'm not around to open a jar when she needs me to. No muss, no mess, and it's opened everything it's been put to.
something like this jar opener

Back