A warm golf ball will fly up to 10 yards further?

I was thinking playing my normal box so I have a chance!!!! :golf2:

We are going to have a lot of fun playing! I can't wait. Thinking of courses, we should play Bridger Creek, Black Bull, and Old Works. The elevation and dry air are nice. We can even go to Woody's shop and you can get a good quick calc of club distances. He sets GCQuad at 4500' and 70F. I find the numbers there are pretty darn close for playing.

Ball travel distance in the cold is one thing and it is measurable, but don't underestimate how all the extra layers in the cold weather restricts a swing and can slow a swing down. So if you average 240 off the tee your swing efficiency is around 2.4 yards per mph club speed (give or take). If extra layers take off even 2-3 mph off your swing speed (conservative estimate), that factor can also deduct 6-10 more/additional yards off your distance(s). Then factor in almost little to no roll on wet/thawed fairways you are only getting the ball out as far as your carry distance.

Funny story on that. I don’t remember who it was telling me this story as it was a couple years back but whoever it was told his friend that warmer balls go further. He showed up to play with his friend the next day and his friend proceeds to tell him that he was going to hit it really far because he boiled a dozen golf balls on the stove before he left the house so they would be good and warm 🤣

Ball travel distance in the cold is one thing and it is measurable, but don't underestimate how all the extra layers in the cold weather restricts a swing and can slow a swing down. So if you average 240 off the tee your swing efficiency is around 2.4 yards per mph club speed (give or take). If extra layers take off even 2-3 mph off your swing speed (conservative estimate), that factor can also deduct 6-10 more/additional yards off your distance(s). Then factor in almost little to no roll on wet/thawed fairways you are only getting the ball out as far as your carry distance.

I guess the only way to test it is to actually warm up a couple when it's cold and see what happens.

I am at work so can't check, but have a look for the TXG channel on YouTube as I think they did something like this where they chilled one ball and heated another up to see if it had an effect

One thing to remember is that when it is cold enough to affect the temperature of the ball, you are likely to have more layers on, so it will potentially affect your swing speed anyway

We are going to have a lot of fun playing! I can't wait. Thinking of courses, we should play Bridger Creek, Black Bull, and Old Works. The elevation and dry air are nice. We can even go to Woody's shop and you can get a good quick calc of club distances. He sets GCQuad at 4500' and 70F. I find the numbers there are pretty darn close for playing.
That would be really cool!!! Sounds like a lot of fun. Looking forward to it.

I guess the only way to test it is to actually warm up a couple when it's cold and see what happens.
And make your swings in a regular golf shirt, then make some swings wearing all your outerwear for the elements.

I'd say it's less about ball temperature and it's more affected by air density. Trackman claims one yard of carry for every 10 degree temperature drop.

Assuming you're still compressing the core, the ball shouldn't fly much differently if all variables are the same. The cold core will feel more harsh because the compression will essentially be higher. I guess that's why people feel like it's the ball. You hit a rock that goes nowhere. Switching to a lower compression ball will mitigate that feel some, plus it will spin less to make up for distance loss due to air density.

I hear 2 yards for 10 degrees under 70 here in MN a lot. I know in the late fall to early spring time I use low compression balls but mainly because they are cheaper and I don't care if I lose them in a snow pile lol!
I would say that is a pretty good number for a driver. About what I see every year in the northeast.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Sounds about right, I definitely notice it when I'm home in the Bay Area over the holiday versus the warm San Diego climate.

Of course the science backs it up, and there are other factors as well such a extra layers of clothing etc. I don't bother trying to "keep balls warm" but i simply just take an extra club or two.

Usually simplicity is the answer.....If the rules of golf forbid warming your ball up during play.....They are removing an advantage.

It absolutely makes a difference for me, I see it every year when we hit this time

I would definitely agree with that info. I feel like I lose 10-15 yards in extremely cold weather. I started keeping a hand warmer bag in my pocket with my ball, not sure if that’s legal.. But it helps!

I would definitely agree with that info. I feel like I lose 10-15 yards in extremely cold weather. I started keeping a hand warmer bag in my pocket with my ball, not sure if that’s legal.. But it helps!
It's illegal.

I am at work so can't check, but
I am at work so can't check, but have a look for the TXG channel on YouTube as I think they did something like this where they chilled one ball and heated another up to see if it had an effect

One thing to remember is that when it is cold enough to affect the temperature of the ball, you are likely to have more layers on, so it will potentially affect your swing speed anyway
The TXG video is called "Should you change golf balls in colder weather." They found almost zero difference with the refrigerated ball, which is to be expected. Air density, people.

It's illegal.
To avoid the proverbial hot seat by, er, warming up your balls, don’t place them in the same pocket as the hand warmer. If you make a stroke with the ball after it’s been warmed, the penalty could be disqualification under Rule 4.2a. (“Could,” because whether the heating was deliberate may be debatable.) from the rules guy Golf Mag

I definitely agree that the ball does not travel as far in the cold. Based on my experiences, I have not seen where keeping an extra ball in my pocket and rotating or playing lower compression balls did anything for me distance-wise.

To avoid the proverbial hot seat by, er, warming up your balls, don’t place them in the same pocket as the hand warmer. If you make a stroke with the ball after it’s been warmed, the penalty could be disqualification under Rule 4.2a. (“Could,” because whether the heating was deliberate may be debatable.) from the rules guy Golf Mag
Seems warming them beforehand, then putting in an insulated cooler pocket, would be the best "legal" move.

Seems warming them beforehand, then putting in an insulated cooler pocket, would be the best "legal" move.
Maybe, I haven't considered these things. I keep a few in my pocket rotate them based on their performance...Make a bogey in the pocket you go...You see it is the balls fault...Ha But data I have read seems to say it doesn't matter as to having a preheated ball....It's just not allowed to heat them while they are in play.

There is without a doubt a difference. In spring and fall I will play a softer compression ball...

I also agree about the added layers of clothing. I feel way more restricted and know I'm not hitting the ball as well, so the cold weather effect is compounded.

Cold temps definitely affects distance. If it's going to be cold I'll often warm 3 balls up beforehand, wrap those in a couple layers of aluminum foil, and those will be in my front pocket during the round. Might be all mental but I feel like it helps a little. When I drew THP testing opportunities for balls and shafts during the winter, I pre warmed all the balls I planned to use during the tests and kept them in an insulated lunch bag with hot hands during the tests. I hoped my data would be more relatable to typical summer conditions and I think it worked somewhat. It would probably work well enough without the hot hands to play a legal round of golf provided I loaded enough pre warmed balls into the insulated bag to slow the rate things cooled off.

I might like to see some info on a warm ball's extra distance, vs the golfer wearing extra clothes loss of distance.

I hit my longer ball flights on warmer days when wearing less restrictive clothing.

It’s was in the low thirties last week, a fair hit drive flew as far as my 5i did last summer. It’s hard to quantify clothing but I’d guess it has at least the same and probably a great effect on distance.

These are carry distances and most golfers can’t carry a driver 250 yards so there distance loss/gain will be a little less. I’m not sure how accurate this chart is but I’ve always figured about 5 yards of carry on a short iron when temps are around 50. I do keep a couple of balls in my pocket along with hand warmers(not USGA legal) but only for those casual rounds when the temps are below 45* which works out to be only a handful of rounds each year. I do it mainly for my hands, not the golf balls.
It is legal to warm up golf balls before a round but I’ve never thought it worth the effort as they get cold quickly out on the course.

View attachment 8988326
that is air temp not ball temp, correct?

that said playing in AZ, the one thing that is neat about 110F golf is how far the ball goes. playing in the 60s F is "humbling". Yeah, that's why my golf game sucks.

Cold temps definitely affects distance. If it's going to be cold I'll often warm 3 balls up beforehand, wrap those in a couple layers of aluminum foil, and those will be in my front pocket during the round. Might be all mental but I feel like it helps a little. When I drew THP testing opportunities for balls and shafts during the winter, I pre warmed all the balls I planned to use during the tests and kept them in an insulated lunch bag with hot hands during the tests. I hoped my data would be more relatable to typical summer conditions and I think it worked somewhat. It would probably work well enough without the hot hands to play a legal round of golf provided I loaded enough pre warmed balls into the insulated bag to slow the rate things cooled off.
Mentally, it likely helps because it feels a lot better than hitting a frozen rock. Scientifically, the only reason a warm ball could potentially fly further is because it's softer, which will make it compress more and spin less. That should add a few yards of carry. The colder dense air molecules will still create far more drag than a warm day and slow the ball down, regardless of the ball's temperature.

I've habitually always had an extra ball in my pocket so I guess I already receive whatever benefit that may provide.

I think Dean Snell also recommended keeping the balls that are in you bag within a knit cap in colder weather.

Back