Ace Or No Ace Part II

Just for the record - I am counting it. My buddies would count it too. If I played with someone who said otherwise, I wouldn't play with them again. Golf is supposed to be fun, and you should be allowed to get excited every so often (especially after all the times you get frustrated.)

I don't play in any sanctioned events, so f**k what the convoluted rule book says.
Yep.

I would let ANY of my buddies get me drunk off that result haha

Yeah, it’s being counted. This is one of those stupid rules that needs to change - like leaving the flag in when putting.
I’d also encourage whoever I’m with to count it as well.

I'd be counting that.

Ball Resting Against Flagstick in Hole
If your ball comes to rest against the flagstick left in the hole, and any part of your ball is in the hole below the surface of the putting green, your ball is treated as holed.

If no part of your ball is in the hole below the surface of the putting green:
  • Your ball is not holed and must be played as it lies.
  • If the flagstick is removed and your ball moves (whether it falls into the hole or moves away from the hole), there is no penalty and it must be replaced on the lip of the hole.

Hard to tell if any dimples are below the surface of the green from that angle, but assuming that even one dimple is below the green, it's a hole in one.

Move the flag away from the ball, it goes in. Count it.
Move the flag away from the ball, it stays. Nope.

This is where golf and/or the rules are stupid. The views above are my own, not of the rulebook. Could not care less what it says in there.
This is my view as well. Aces are hard enough.. Why get robbed by a bad flagstick

I guess it is how you look at it. To me it appears to be resting on the pin and it would be 50-5 0 it would fall in. It is hard to tell how much of the green is under the ball. It looks like it is ragged a bit looking at the other side of the hole. The only way to know is to move the pin back to straight in the hole and see what happens

Nope. Very nice birdie though.

I’m with @Canadan on this one! If it falls, mark it 1!

Pull the flag to the center where it is supposed to be and if the ball drops then count it! Seems clear to me that this would confirm the flag stick is preventing it from going in.

Move the stick away. If the ball falls, I'm counting it. If it stays, it's a gimme for me. I don't care what the rules say. Golf is hard enough.

This is where golf and/or the rules are stupid. The views above are my own, not of the rulebook. Could not care less what it says in there.

half of the damn ball is in the hole.
by rules these days you can putt with the flag in, you cant putt that.
position the flag correctly and the ball drops.
count it!

Pull the flag to the center where it is supposed to be and if the ball drops then count it! Seems clear to me that this would confirm the flag stick is preventing it from going in.
^ Exactly. Don't even pull the flagstick, just move it to where it was designed and intended to be - if the ball falls in (which it absolutely will in that pic), it's a HIO.

If putt a ball marker tight behind it directly out from the flag.

Straighten the pin.

If it falls and you can't place it in front of the marker without it falling again, his legit.

Either way, I'm buying drinks.

Looks like it. Agree with those saying move the flagstick to where it should be / or gently pull the flag stick out and if it goes in its good.

I would call the clubhouse and make a marshall come out and make a ruling :oops:

Straightening the pin may let it fall in. I would be quite peeved!

many folks saying that its a "no" as per by the rules and I say (as per the rules) it all depends what happens when the pin is straightened.

You see,....if the ball drops it would then mean that the bottom balance point of the ball was indeed lower than the ground because it would also have to mean it was just barely over open space. If it wasnt the ball wont drop.
There is no way the ball would drop unless the bottom balance point is hanging over open space and there is no way it can hang over open space without it also being lower (even if just barely) than the ground. Its just not possible.

And so....if the ball drops after straightened pin then it means the ball's bottom was lower than the surface because it had to be or it wouldn't drop and therefore it is holed. And if it stays up then it means the bottom was resting on the ground and not over open space nor lower than the ground and it wont drop and is not holed.
The pin straightening would then indirectly determine if the ball was holed.

Last edited:
The rule? Any part of the ball below the surface.
If the ball drops after pin is straightened then it means part of the ball had to be below (even if the most minimal amount) because if its not then it wont drop.

The ball cant rest in mid air. The pin is either holding the ball from dropping or it isnt. if it is then the bottom of the ball had to be lower then the ground and if it isnt then the ball wasnt lower and will stay put.

Casual round among friends? Group consensus but I would count it, especially if it drops in after carefully moving the flag.

tournament? either involve an official or consult with opposing party on the hole to reach a consensus. I would lean towards not counting it out of an abundance of integrity.

Rules are easy to interpret (read: screw the player)

13.3b/1 – What to Do When Player’s Ball Overhanging Hole Moves When Player Removes Flagstick
After the flagstick is removed by the player, if the player’s ball overhanging the hole moves, he or she must proceed as follows:

Must have been really windy for the flag to be that far over or not in the hole properly. Straighten the flag and if it drops count it

Back