Advice for New Golfers

golfunfiltered

Johnny Unhappy Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
Data from National Golf Foundation (NGF) suggests an influx of new golfers this year. What's the one piece of advice you'd give to a new golfer?

No matter the frustration, try to enjoy it. It is one of the few things that can last a lifetime and bring both physical and social together.

Don’t listen to Herm. Love the game, it’ll love you back.
1591101861680.gif

Just had this conversation with two friends who are thinking about picking it up! I told them buy used clubs online (I can help them) and get a 3 pack of lessons from a solid coach. Learning the fundamentals (grip & swing basics) will save tons of headaches and get them to enjoying it a lot sooner!

Run! Run as fast as you can! LOL ;) Kidding here - I agree that beginners should get a few fundamental lessons and above all learn to enjoy it as much as possible.

It takes time. You'll have good shots, and bad shots, everyone does. Get a few lessons, then get out and practice. But most importantly, have fun!

Be social, joke about your own shots and with others. Enjoy a little competition, but don’t let it get too competitive. But most importantly just have fun.

Play as much as possible, as cheaply as possible, so you learn the game.

Have fun.
Learn and respect the etiquette of golf.
Slow does not equal good.

Don't keep score the first few rounds. Get out there and get accustomed to the game and worry about scoring later. Too much focus on shooting good scores, not enough on having fun. (PS I need to take my own advice it seems)

Learn to play fast:
  • Always be ready to play when it is your turn. Even better play ready golf if you are at your ball and ready to play go ahead and hit.
  • Move to your ball early don't wait and go as a group (as long as you aren't in danger of getting hit or distracting another player).
  • No more than one practice swing then hit.
  • Watch your ball until it stops rolling so that you can find it.
Nobody cares if you are good if you play fast. Even with 100 plus swings you should be able to get around the course in 3:45. If you can do that you can play with anyone.

Lessons are worth every penny you will pay. And practice what you were taught between lessons not on the course!

The course will be beat you 99 times out of 100. That's normal. Enjoy it for the 1 time it doesn't.

The game is played in the 5 inches between your ears and the 1" on the face of the club. Get those 5" to understand that its all about hitting the ball within that 1".

Swinging harder doesn't mean swinging better. Yes, golf is an impact sport, but location of impact is more important that power at impact.

Have fun and don't rush. Golf is a game of you against yourself. Its a great walk spoiled. It's the sights, sounds, feel, smell of everything around you. Don't miss the ride because you are rushing to hit a ball.

Don't skimp.

Don't skimp on time, if you want to play well. Don't skimp on equipment, that does not mean you have to buy new or the most expensive. Don't skimp on patience you are going to need a lot of it. Don't skimp on having fun. It is a great game! Welcome to the club!

Always fix your ball marks

The object of the game is to get the ball in the hole in as few strokes as possible, not to have a technically perfect swing. It’s a scorecard not a postcard.

Two things I heard here:
1. Never bet money with a guy who has worn wedges with new grips.
2. Never bet money with a guy who is deeply tanned and has a 2-iron in his bag.

Learn golf etiquette and use it. Most people don't mind playing with a bad golfer, but they do mind playing with a slow golfer who shows no regard for the course or his fellow players.

Learn to laugh at yourself and remember that it is only a GAME!
* Obvious advice (take lessons and learn etiquette)

Get lessons right from the start. Don't play a single round until you start your lessons.

Data from National Golf Foundation (NGF) suggests an influx of new golfers this year. What's the one piece of advice you'd give to a new golfer?
Golf is one of the most frustratingly wonderful experiences I have ever had.

At a certain point, it will test you emotionally, physically, and mentally.. and it's up to you to decide what you want to make of it.. But when you hit that shot, the one I don't need to define because you'll know it when you hit it - you're screwed.... Because golf will officially be in your blood.

Enjoy every moment. Have fun with it. Get lessons.

Back