After a 20 year Sabbatical, back in the sport.

BigTreble

Reaction score
I started golfing in 1981 was a freshman in HS. Truly got zero help, honestly think my coach was stoned every day, but hey he was happy. Spent the next 18 years as a hardcore golfer, but never any instruction. So bottom line is I sucked bad and still do.

Had a career change that dramatically affected my ability to get to the course. 20 years into my current industry, I decided to take more control of my free time and get back out there. Got my equipment updated, and after nearly 40 years after my first swing, am reaching out to find an instructor. Which I desperately need.

Never had a handicap, and lets say my game is so poor, that I usually get staff at the course tracks me down to charge a swing surcharge on my game, lol.

Welcome back to the game and welcome to THP!

:welcome: Sounds like you have a good plan. Find a good instructor to help you get back in and improve!

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP!!

Welcome. Good luck with the instructor too.

Welcome to THP and welcome back to golf!

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to :thp:

Welcome back to the game!!! Hope you enjoy your time here at THP!

:welcome:

Welcome back to golf and welcome to the forum.

Welcome back and IMO, don't just choose an instructor based on the yellow pages. Go to your local golf range and watch the instructors. Chances are you will like one teaching technique more than the other, and also look at how their students are doing. My wife had an instructor that would put some sticks down on the tee and say, hit between those. She could not hit it further than 50 yards after 6 lessons. Then we went to our local range and saw an instructor that actually would teach and his students mostly hit pretty well. We chose him for my wife and she now hits over 200 yards. I went with him also. So moral of the story, golf lessons are great with the right instructor.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome, happy to be here.

Welcome back and IMO, don't just choose an instructor based on the yellow pages. Go to your local golf range and watch the instructors. Chances are you will like one teaching technique more than the other, and also look at how their students are doing. My wife had an instructor that would put some sticks down on the tee and say, hit between those. She could not hit it further than 50 yards after 6 lessons. Then we went to our local range and saw an instructor that actually would teach and his students mostly hit pretty well. We chose him for my wife and she now hits over 200 yards. I went with him also. So moral of the story, golf lessons are great with the right instructor.

Sadly i don't have that many local options. Most all the courses around here are pretty small. I did reach out to a private club down the road, at this time their previous instructor, is now the local college instructor, but does some coaching on the side......its been 4 days and I'm still waiting for a response.🙄

My next option aws about 45 minutes away and is a clubfitter at the local indoor simulator range, but not sure of his credentials, he had no card. Might try one lesson with him and will see his style.

Welcome back to the game! Enjoy it! Looking forward to hearing about the journey.

:welcome:
I'm sure if you spend some time here you'll find more than enough good information to help you get back into the swing of things (no pun intended)

Welcome back to the game and to THP! I returned to the game after a 10-year hiatus when I retired in 2019....and got hooked again. You've received some great advice above. The only thing that I can add is be patient and enjoy the ride.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome back to the game and to THP....Enjoy !

Welcome to THP! Good luck on finding an instructor but glad you’re back in the game!

Happy to have you with us!!!

I started golfing in 1981 was a freshman in HS. Truly got zero help, honestly think my coach was stoned every day, but hey he was happy.

Sounds familiar. I started playing golf the summer before my freshman year, and then joined the school team. Don’t think my coach was stoned, but he didn’t care about teaching me at all. He just sent the other freshman and I off to play 9 holes by ourselves, and then worked with the rest of the team. I moved on to other high school sports after that one season, but kept playing golf.

Welcome to THP.

Again thanks to all for the warm welcome

Sounds familiar. I started playing golf the summer before my freshman year, and then joined the school team. Don’t think my coach was stoned, but he didn’t care about teaching me at all. He just sent the other freshman and I off to play 9 holes by ourselves, and then worked with the rest of the team. I moved on to other high school sports after that one season, but kept playing golf.

Welcome to THP.

Kind of ironic isn't it. Thanks for the welcome.

Back