Airline broke my driver

Nothing like a broken driver on a golf trip! Sorry it happened! When I was in college I flew to Tampa to visit my brother to get ready for the fall season. Had a great week of golf! I was driving away from the last green on the last hole and either someone took the strap out of the clip or it just worked it's way off and my bag tipped over directly on the toe of the driver and SNAP! Harsh way to end a great trip.

Not sure the brand but is a good, heavily padded one. I also wrap my driver with a golf towel for extra padding, but it didn't do any good.

Nothing like a broken driver on a golf trip! Sorry it happened! When I was in college I flew to Tampa to visit my brother to get ready for the fall season. Had a great week of golf! I was driving away from the last green on the last hole and either someone took the strap out of the clip or it just worked it's way off and my bag tipped over directly on the toe of the driver and SNAP! Harsh way to end a great trip.

This is a classic bachelor party/drinking round move that some guys I know pull. I watch my bag like a hawk as the guys that do this type of thing hardly ever play and don't really understand how much money is strapped to the back of the cart. Nothing pisses me off more than hearing my bag hit the ground as we drive away. If I notice it start rearing its head, I pretty much declare that if they touch my bag they're dead.

What kind of travel bag were you using? Did you have a head cover on the driver? Between the padding in my bag, and my head covers, it's really difficult for me to see how the baggage handlers can snap the shaft at the head without deliberately driving over the bag or kicking it really hared. I've never even been worried about it. I hope AA will give you some sort of blanket compensation, but with no proof that the clubs actually flew with them, you may be out of luck.

Packing smarts is foremost. Even without a removable head driver, I put the driver in upside down in my bag, then add a couple of other upside down clubs in. Then I tape / zip tie the grips together and then zip tie those clubs to the top of the bag; basically a make shift 'stiff arm'. I do the same thing with adjustables, except remove the heads first and always try to have many grip ends up as possible tied together. I do the same with my long irons all tied together and then put my short irons in heads up but with the heads taped together.

Makes me concerned if I ever have to fly with my clubs as I also only have a soft top cover, but as some have said I would probably find a way to rig it for extra protection

Sorry to hear about your issue though, hope they resolve it for you! Tough part will be it was 2 weeks ago, they can easily say it must have happened at home

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Makes me concerned if I ever have to fly with my clubs as I also only have a soft top cover, but as some have said I would probably find a way to rig it for extra protection

Sorry to hear about your issue though, hope they resolve it for you! Tough part will be it was 2 weeks ago, they can easily say it must have happened at home

As someone that flies a lot and does so with their clubs a lot, I have never had a broken club. I take the heads off what I can, but even my 2nd driver is not removable. Think of all of the golf clubs in the air, obviously you don’t hear about the success stories

If heads can come off, great, throw them in the pockets. Otherwise don’t let fear ruin a good trip.

As with all the worries, I've just come back from a golf trip in Spain and all of our gear was fine.
One guy was very worried as he has just been fully kitted out by Titleist, oddly he had the least protective bag and it was still ok.

Not sure where to post this but here goes. Returned from Myrtle Beach via American Airlines. Put the clubs in the basement and didn't open the travel cover for two weeks. Last Saturday opened it up and grabbed the driver to pull it out and out came the head only! UUUGH!

Anyone else have this experience? I've contacted the air line but haven't heard from them yet. I didn't save my baggage claim ticket or boarding pass so am wondering if they will do anything.

Good news, while American Airlines will not pay to have the driver shaft replaced, they have offered me a $100 voucher for future travel. Not so bad.

Good news, while American Airlines will not pay to have the driver shaft replaced, they have offered me a $100 voucher for future travel. Not so bad.

That’s better than nothing I guess. Now a good excuse to pay for a fitting and custom shaft ;)

And I’m with others I’ve been lucky with no damage (Air Transat sent my clubs to the wrong country before and had no idea for a week). I do take my heads off and wrap in a short and put in the pockets though. And will put socks or shirts over rest too.

That's brutal. I'm traveling in 2 weeks ago will unscrew the driver head but my travel bag is soft cover as well.

Not a risk I particularly enjoy but I'll be sure to pad the top of the bag and clubs with shirts, pillows, towels, etc.

Hope you get good news in the end man.

I'm traveling in a few weeks.

I'll take my old "backup" set of clubs....

NOT my brand new clubs I just got this week!

I have a soft side cover as well and have not had an issue. My driver heads do not come off so I take a 1.25 Dowell rod that is 48" long and I put that in my bag, then wrap Towels around the heads. This has worked well in the past for me with no issues at all.

Glad you are receiving something in the end, better than nothing. $100 as credit is pennies to them, plus gives you something to help out for a future flight.

Last time i traveled , Flying wise, withy clubs. I wrapped the heads in a towel and padded them. when i picked then up off the "special belt" i sat it down and unzipped it. they asked me to move it and I said right after i check them. They had pulled all the towels off, gone through the bag and half the pockets were still unzipped. I was nice about it and explained, with the way this looks, you take some pics and so will i and then i will check the clubs. luckily nothing was broken or missing. I unzip immediately because i have had a broken head in the past.

Airline broke my driver

Just wanted to follow up and say everything went and came back ok. I got a great Ogio travel back from The Grandaddy, not a hard case, but no damage done. Good padding inside, I put socks on each iron, wrapped a towel in between each club, also put another towel over it and bought a stiff arm from DICKs.

Just worried about not having a hard case for insurance purposes. But this trip was safe haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wanted to follow up and say everything went and came back ok. I got a great Ogio travel back from The Grandaddy, not a hard case, but no damage done. Good padding inside, I put socks on each iron, wrapped a towel in between each club, also put another towel over it and bought a stiff arm from DICKs.

Just worried about not having a hard case for insurance purposes. But this trip was safe haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not had issues using a soft case and a stiff arm. I do pack it well on top with towels and clothing as well.

Just flew from Lax to RDU on Sunday on on American. I padded and wrapped the clubs up and added a 1 1/2" PVC "T" that protects the clubs which is covered by the rain hood and then encased in my Club Glove last bag.

The bag arrived with the driver (glued head) not even in the golf bag just loose in the club glove, all of the clubs in other spots, the pockets gone through and a multi tool.and a pair of nail clippers from the outer pocket loose in the bottom of the club glove with a TSA notice that the inspected my bag. My TSA lock that was on the outside of the bag was also missing. Fortunately I put my rangefinder and GPS into my carry on luggage.

I cant wait for the return flight from ATL to LAX.

Last edited:
Please allow me to ask an ignorant question. I've never taken golf clubs with me when I've traveled by air (only when I've traveled by car). I do not fly all that often, but there is a chance I may fly to the Northeast sometime this year, and a buddy and I are talking about a trip to Scotland.

Other than cost, why would you opt for a soft case over a hard case when flying? Is it a size issue? Is it a weight issue? As I said, I've never had the need for a travel case, so I don't know the pros and cons of soft vs. hard cases.

Last edited:
Please allow me to ask an ignorant question. I've never taken golf clubs with me when I've traveled by air (only when I've traveled by car). I do not fly all that often, but there is a chance I may fly to the Northeast sometime this year, and a buddy and I are talking about a trip to Scotland.

Other than cost, why would you opt for a soft case over a hard case when flying? Is it a size issue? Is it a weight issue? As I said, I've never had the need for a travel case, so I don't know the pros and cons of soft vs. hard cases.

Size and weight.
Weight being a big piece to flying of course.
Then add a simple one that most forget about. Rental car. You need a bigger car to handle the hard case.

As someone that flies with clubs a lot, I use a soft case and have never had a problem. I dont use a stiff arm either.

I know that waiver well. Sucks, but that's why I fly with about 5 towels wrapped around my club heads.

I usually put my small 8 pack REI soft sided cooler over the heads which also comes in handy one I reach my destination.:act-up:

Size and weight.
Weight being a big piece to flying of course.
Then add a simple one that most forget about. Rental car. You need a bigger car to handle the hard case.

As someone that flies with clubs a lot, I use a soft case and have never had a problem. I dont use a stiff arm either.

Ahhh, now that's why I asked the question. I'd be willing to invest in a hard case and would be willing to pay for the extra weight. I had not considered the rental car issue, however.

I usually put my small 8 pack REI soft sided cooler over the heads which also comes in handy one I reach my destination.:act-up:

Ok, I like this concept... noted!

I have travelled with my clubs a lot, including to Ireland. I remove heads and/or use a stiff arm, and often add clothes to the top end of the bag. I've never had a problem. If we are really that worried about it just buy insurance - very inexpensive and you get replacement value for your clubs.

I've had a hard case for about 18 months now. I love the security and peace of mind, but the size is definitely an issue. I usually order an SUV cab to/from the airport because even if a sedan's seats fold down, there's not guarantee it's going to fit.

I have travelled with my clubs a lot, including to Ireland. I remove heads and/or use a stiff arm, and often add clothes to the top end of the bag. I've never had a problem. If we are really that worried about it just buy insurance - very inexpensive and you get replacement value for your clubs.

Good ideas. Where do you get the insurance? Through your insurance company - or pay extra through the airline?

Back