All electronic devices banned from the sport!

Wouldn't change. Don't use any of those things currently. Sometimes music during a casual round, but no ranger finders or GPS' in my bag.

I think from a GPS/Yardage perspective it would affect me somewhat, and at a minimum it would slow pace of play down even more than it already does while walking around looking for sprinkler heads and walking the distances off.

I'm sure my game would suffer a little, but not too much. Probably a couple strokes per round. I use my GPS watch to get distances a bunch, but usually it is just to confirm what I think.

No more GPS. No more range finders. No music while playing. Does your game really suffer? Do your scores go up? Or do see no difference what so ever?
Yes. There is an effect on score, namely because most course are marked piss poorly in terms of distance markers around here.

No more GPS. No more range finders. No music while playing. Does your game really suffer? Do your scores go up? Or do see no difference what so ever?

For strictly playing golf, I could live with that. But because of the smartphone, I can often get out to practice and play and still have connectivity for work needs. That flexibility would be hard to give up and would very likely reduce how much I could play.

I think it would effect my score. I have noticed that some Par 3s are off by as many as 15-20 yards from what my rangefinder says vs the marker or scorecard, that is 2 clubs.

I doubt my game would suffer much. I don't hit many greens as it is haha. I would miss my stats on my phone which I guess I could write on a scorecard and transfer later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would not change much of anything for me. Most the places I play I've been playing for years and, besides, I like guessing.

I've played a couple of rounds where I've forgotten to charge my GPS and died after a couple of holes. That's when I realize just how dependent on it I've become, so I'd find it a struggle to start with.

Im in complete agreement. Some of the courses I used to play in England did not have ANY yardage markers at all, not even the 100, 150, 200 markers. It was strictly feel. It made it a completely different game as it brought in all of your senses to determine distance. Pretty cool actually.

Wouldn't change my game at all. Call me old fashioned but I don't play music at the course. I don't own a rangefinder and I don't want to own one. I was in the Marines. I can figure out distances without some gear that often isn't even correct. So what the hell do I need a rangefinder for? To collect dust? To waste a couple hundred bucks?

I'd adjust. Not once, not twice, but three times this year I hit the course with a dead gps. No malfunction, just brain farts in forgetting to recharge. Getting old. ?

Shot well each time, one matching my season low. Still, much prefer to know the yardage even if it's actually just a vague electronically assisted guesstimation.

My game would definitely suffer without a rangefinder. I don't care for the music while I'm playing so that would have no effect at all.

I've been playing that way for basically 25 years of my life, so it wouldn't have a negative or different effect on me. Heck, the last time I played I looked at the pin and walked off from a sprinkler head and at the same time my brother tagged it with his laser. I said, looks like 115...he laughed, 114.

I just break the rule then!

May slow pace of play when we start looking for yardage markers and walking off and calculating the distances

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Wouldn't hurt my game per-say, but it would make it less fun.

Doesn't phase me - I have never used measurement electronics or listen to music anyway. I prefer not to take calls, I find that even snapping a few pics and posting them to the Live Round thread is a some extra fumbling about - I like my golf simple and distances eyeballed.

It would depend on the course. A well marked course with distances to the front of the green on the sprinkler heads and a good pin sheet would only affect the length of the round due to the time needed to walk off distances. On a course with just 100/150/200/250 plates in the middle of the fairway, I might lose a stoke or two in a given round since my short game is not my particular strength.

Back