I think it’s a lot of fun! Can equalize teams, and also cultivate some camaraderie.

Secret is to apologise before the first shot, but not again after that. You are doing your best and you are an amateur for a reason.

I have never played an alternate shot format. I am really excited about giving it a go at the Morgan Cup. It's going to be very interesting trying to make pairings for it, but I have some ideas.

I like playing it a lot in Ryder Cup format events, but at times I feel a little sorry if you’ve got a low handicap with a high handicap because it puts a lot of pressure on the higher handicap.

Witnessed firsthand a real Richard-head low handicap berating his partner who was a high handicap who made the occasional miss or put the Richard in a difficult spot. Had a little short conversation with the Richard & told him to grow up and be a team player. Some people are just real idiots.

I have never played it, it could be fun. Maybe a good option at a THP team event.

I kind of enjoy alt shot, it’s a challenge and puts pressure on in a tournament setting that may not otherwise be there. When pops come into play that makes it even harder

Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't. I do like that it challenges me in different ways.

I’ve played two versions of alternate shot recently.
1- declaring who tees off odd or even holes, then alternating
2- whoever holes out, partner tees off

Getting paired with a good partner is critical. Good partner doesn’t necessarily mean good player.

Are you a fan or no?
Ugh. Yes and no.

Yes because it gets the tension up and you never know what is going to happen.

No because it inevitably leads to playing partners apologizing and there’s just no need for that, alt shot is hard, it’s ok.

I like it, having to play someone else's foul balls and then hitting THAT shot that putts them in position for birdie.....great feeling

It is/can be a fun format but can be brutal also. Fun to do once in a while.

Definitely a fan.

I really like it, but as others have said, partner is key. Need to have someone who is fairly consistent, and is able to shake stuff off and not get too down. I know a number of solid golfers I wouldn't want to play alt shot with.

It really feels like teamwork more than any other golf format though, which I like.

I like watching it, but playing in it - man it's hard because the pressure is really on.

love to watch it, but never played it.

Love it! Especially when you can ham and egg it! It does suck when you don't set your partner up off the tee... @BlueHen2006 knows all about me giving him some tough 2nd shots hahaha, but we figured it out and I got it together, at least I think:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've never done it, but I think it would be a lot of fun. Unfortunately the guys I play with think it doesn't allow each player to get a full experience, so we never do it.

It has been the format in a few of our mixed competitions at our club, and I enjoy it for something different

Yes, I like it. The wife and I play a lot of couples tournaments and they almost always have some form of alt shot format in them. Around these parts it's called "The Divorce Format". :ROFLMAO:

I'm a fan. I especially like Scotch foresomes in which you both hit a tee shot and go from there alternate shot. I also think part of it depends on what ball you play. My wife and I are eyeing a couple's tournament next summer that is alternate shot and you have to play the same ball (our local club has a foresomes but you are allowed to mark and play your own brand/type ball). Thankfully we are similar although not exact. I generally play Vice Pro Plus or Bridgestone BX, my wife plays Vice Pro, or Pro v1 most of the time. Thankfully I can make that adjustment pretty easily.

Im not really a fan because you only hit half as many shots as a normal round.

Playing team golf, IMO, is greater than playing for myself. With that said, this is me least favorite format for team golf.

To watch? love it. To play? not so much....

Back