An annoying habit of your golfing partner

lol

"hold on a minute" *drops ball* Whack! "Yeah that's better"

C'mon bro......

No no no no no.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My playing partner and best friend plays like one a month at best. He does abut a half swing and hits the ball on the screws 90% of the time. I'm taking lessons, joined a private club and still suck. The only thing he cannot hit is Hybrids so I bought him 2 and told him he really needs to start playing them.

One of my playing partners is that guy who goes and looks for every lost ball no matter who's ball it is, wading through reeds if he has to while the rest of us continue play. He's also the guy who loves to tell stories while the rest of us wait for him to hit his shot. He's a nice guy, and almost always the best player in the group, but has some serious slow play tendencies.

The only thing that annoys me is we have one guy in our weekend group that will look for a ball until he finds it. 3 of us on the green putting out and hes still 150 yards back hunting for his stupid Noodle.

Some of the guys have started keeping Noodles in their bag to "seed" his ball when it's in a hard to find area lol.

Even then, it's no big deal because we just leave the onus on him to catch up again...we wait for nobody!

A guy with whom I work and used to play a lot of golf would do this but, to top it off, if it was his ball, he wouldn't start looking until it was his turn because he was talking to everyone else while they hit. If he was in the woods or near a water hazard, he'd look for other balls to stick in his bag. He is also the first guy in OldeDude's post but would let the calls go to VM then call back to make it seem he was busy with another call. We play maybe once a year now if we attend the same conference on the Gulf coast. But, the golf ball hunts and the phone calls weren't the reasons we stopped playing. We stopped playing outside of the conference because he would show up at 8:00 for an 8:00 tee time. Not show up on the first tee ready to go, rather he showed up in street shoes carrying his golf shoes, and his breakfast and coffee. And he'd want to talk to everyone else instead of getting ready. A couple of times he told the group with the next tee time to go ahead. We told him he was causing a problem but he never changed. Outside of the conference (where I pick him up to go to the course with plenty of time to spare), the last time he and I were going to play, he wasn't on the tee on time. He drove in as I was putting my clubs back in the car.

I've got two, neither are really big deals, but annoying.

One of my regular playing partners is the guy that won't put the phone away, and I'm not talking social media, but taking and making phone calls, mostly business calls. Come on, if its really that important, maybe you should be at the office, otherwise voicemail really does work.

The other is a regular playing partner that always heads right to his ball before anyone else hits. Not that bad if we're walking, but we are usually riding, so he's either got a cart up near where I'm hitting to, or if I'm riding with him I feel like I'm going to get hit by someone. Easy cure for this one though, ride together, and I drive.

A guy who has sort of invited himself into our semi-regular game is OldeDude's second guy. He preferred to have a cart to himself. If he was first off the tee, he was in his cart and gone after the second guy had hit. A lot of times, he had putted out before the rest of us were on or near the green. He's a nice guy whose wife died a couple of years ago and he has no kids or family so we felt a little sorry for him. We now make sure he rides when he joins us.

They outdrive me by 80 yards, outscore me by 12 shots, are younger than me, etc, etc.

Sadly this applies to every THP local member.

But none of them have any bad habits thankfully.

One of my playing partners is that guy who goes and looks for every lost ball no matter who's ball it is, wading through reeds if he has to while the rest of us continue play. He's also the guy who loves to tell stories while the rest of us wait for him to hit his shot. He's a nice guy, and almost always the best player in the group, but has some serious slow play tendencies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I play with a retired friend that is 10 years older than me. Loves to pick up every ball he can find because he can get $0.10 a piece for them.
Now, we play on a resort course and there can be balls all over the place however when is enough a enough plus enviably he'll pick up one in play that comes over into our fairway.

Let it go....

Last edited:
One of my golf buddies is a millennial. He NEVER puts his phone down. If we're walking, he's face down in his screen. If we're riding, he's face down in his screen. He'll look at his phone while standing on the tee box and on the green. It's like: do I even exist?

I've got a friend that if his ball goes into the cup with the PIN still in he will use the PIN to try to get the ball out instead of just bending down and retrieving his ball. He will Jerk it out real fast hoping the ball will come flying out, on more than one occasion I have seen him jerk the cup right out of the hole at least above the level of the green. Boy this pisses me off!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Practice swings are annoying to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play with a friend on a Resort that is 10 years older than me. Loves to pick up every ball he can find because he can get $0.10 a piece for them.
Now, we play on a resort course and there can be balls all over the place however when is enough a enough plus enviably he'll pick up one in play that comes over into our fairway.

Let it go....

My buddy does it because he's cheap, ha. He always says he's looking for his ball or one of our balls, but he walks out of the hazard with 6 balls in his pocket that he will eventually play. I always give him crap because he's a junior associate at our firm, so I know exactly what his salary is, and he can afford to buy balls. He's a likeable guy, always seems to make friends with strangers we are paired up with, but this is one thing that always has me shaking my head.

The other, and not to pile on, is on the greens. This guy is heck of a golfer (HDCP moves between 9-11) off the green. On the green, a whole different story. It is amazing how often he blows a putt 10-12 past the hole. And when he jacks one by, he'll complain and say, "how did you not break???" After hearing this a few dozen times, I finally said, "because you didn't let it!"

I was gonna say "winning" is an annoying habit in a partner:alien:

lol, I cant compete with him and its not new news.

Not a huge deal and doesn't happen that often. But, I play with a guy pretty regularly who will ride while we walk. That is not the problem. I have no issue with him riding. The issue is, when I hit a drive that is flirting with trouble, he will immediately drives to it off the tee just to give me a heads up on the situation. While I realize he is trying to do a nice thing, and it shouldn't irritate me, it does grind my gears a bit. I do like to mentally go through my options as I walk to my ball. I use the time to calm my nerves should it not be favorable. He also doesn't do a very good job at it. There are times where he will drive back and tell me it's gone just for me to find it a little further over. At the end of the day, it isn't that annoying and if it's the worst thing I have to deal with, I am doing pretty good.

I play with a guy who hates losing a ball, I have to tell him to stop looking and drop so we can move on. I have given him several dozen that I don't play that way I can tell him it was a free ball and don't worry about it.

Practice swings are annoying to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play with one guy, who while a nice guy, takes no less than 4 practice swings for every single shot.

I play with one guy, who while a nice guy, takes no less than 4 practice swings for every single shot.

....and I bet neither of them were anywhere close to what his actual swing was with the ball

I play with a guy who hates losing a ball, I have to tell him to stop looking and drop so we can move on. I have given him several dozen that I don't play that way I can tell him it was a free ball and don't worry about it.

This is the absolute worst! I was at Bali Hai in November paired up with 2 guys that would not let a golf ball go. "I see it. All I have to do is climb this 10' high metal chain-link fence and I can get it."

The course was empty and at the rate we were going, there was absolutely no way we were finishing up before dark. After 5 holes, I was very blunt and said that I really want to finish this round so I'm taking off. They understood.

I'm just the opposite - if the ball goes into a hazard I will casually glance over to see if I can see it immediately.

not annoying but funny...

every time @O'Carroll (@clemenza)and I get to play Saratoga Spa; he ends up getting chauffeured to the first green by the starter.

This is the absolute worst! I was at Bali Hai in November paired up with 2 guys that would not let a golf ball go. "I see it. All I have to do is climb this 10' high metal chain-link fence and I can get it."

The course was empty and at the rate we were going, there was absolutely no way we were finishing up before dark. After 5 holes, I was very blunt and said that I really want to finish this round so I'm taking off. They understood.

I'm just the opposite - if the ball goes into a hazard I will casually glance over to see if I can see it immediately.

I'm with you. If a ball has the audacity to wind up in the hazard, I want nothing more to do with it. :)

Having his face in his golf phone app recording information. Always waiting for him on tee box.

not annoying but funny...

every time @O'Carroll (@clemenza)and I get to play Saratoga Spa; he ends up getting chauffeured to the first green by the starter.

It’s only going to get worse with me being another 20 minutes away from that course. See you on the second green…

One of the guys I ride with, he always wants to pull up on the wrong side of the ball and to close.

this, but while he's looking at his phone. So he could care less about my, and others rounds. I usually walk when playing with him.

I'm lucky and happy to have about 10-12 friends/family who golf with me and I try to make time for everyone at least once every other week or two, mix it up. No I'm not Mr. Popular I just like to play golf with different people on a given weekend when asked.

I'd say their are 2 people that stick out in my mind but they're alright.

1 is someone who likes to update their score to handicap every hole or other hole. I don't care. Keep it to yourself.

The other is someone who tries to make a comment about my swing or putting stroke at some point during a round. He clearly does it to shake me up but I just immediately retort with "I like my swing and everyone has their own technique, play your game."

The latter is the one I want to beat every time we tee it up, and he nipped me by 2 strokes last time, with my "swing and putting stroke." If it was so bad he'd smoke me by 10+.

I'm lucky and happy to have about 10-12 friends/family who golf with me and I try to make time for everyone at least once every other week or two, mix it up. No I'm not Mr. Popular I just like to play golf with different people on a given weekend when asked.

I'd say their are 2 people that stick out in my mind but they're alright.

1 is someone who likes to update their score to handicap every hole or other hole. I don't care. Keep it to yourself.

The other is someone who tries to make a comment about my swing or putting stroke at some point during a round. He clearly does it to shake me up but I just immediately retort with "I like my swing and everyone has their own technique, play your game."

The latter is the one I want to beat every time we tee it up, and he nipped me by 2 strokes last time, with my "swing and putting stroke." If it was so bad he'd smoke me by 10+.

You can't let him beat you. He'll never shut up if you don't.

I have a buddy I play with once in awhile that is Mr. Ball Retriever. Every time he see's a pond he unsheathes his fishing rod and starts fishing. It's super long, must be 12 feet at least and he just dumps ball after ball on the grass. After 2 or 3 minutes or until we shame him for being so cheep, he takes the ones he likes and leaves the rest on the grass. Rinse and repeat for the next pond.

Back