Another Rule Change-Divots Should Be Ground Under Repair

To piggy back on @JB's thread on a rule change the one that I would change would be to make divots ground under repair. Hit a perfect drive right down the middle of the fairway and wind up in someone's divot-no good. I know there are some that will say rub of the green but it just doesn't make sense to me. I mean if you can repair ball marks on a green, which is basically a divot-why not get relief from the fairway?

I agree. I think we should allow free drops anywhere through the green, one club length and no closer to the hole; free drops from trees affecting your line of play, 2 club lengths from the nearest point of relief and no closer to the hole; and one compulsory stroke out of bunkers before an obligatory free drop on the side of the bunker closest to the hole, but no closer that one club length from the bunker.

Ground.
Under.
Repair.

Wham.

People will abuse it. People are sneaky. Sneaky is bad.

To piggy back on @JB's thread on a rule change the one that I would change would be to make divots ground under repair. Hit a perfect drive right down the middle of the fairway and wind up in someone's divot-no good. I know there are some that will say rub of the green but it just doesn't make sense to me. I mean if you can repair ball marks on a green, which is basically a divot-why not get relief from the fairway?

That's why I hit it shorter than most. I want to avoid divots.
And that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Last edited:
I agree. I think we should allow free drops anywhere through the green, one club length and no closer to the hole; free drops from trees affecting your line of play, 2 club lengths from the nearest point of relief and no closer to the hole; and one compulsory stroke out of bunkers before an obligatory free drop on the side of the bunker closest to the hole, but no closer that one club length from the bunker.

Now we’re talking! And since everyone is giving or taking gimmies, I’d increase The hole size to 28” so there’s no question whether it’s inside the leather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is hitting out of a divot really that big of a problem?? I can't remember the last time I had to hit out of a divot...I think it has been years. I feel like this is something that happens on tour more. Simply because they are really good and are all aiming for similar spots in the fairway and all hitting from relatively the same spot.

Now we’re talking! And since everyone is giving or taking gimmies, I’d increase The hole size to 28” so there’s no question whether it’s inside the leather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Screw that. Let's do away with the hole completely. Just once it's on the green add 1 stroke to your score and call it a day.

Is hitting out of a divot really that big of a problem?? I can't remember the last time I had to hit out of a divot...I think it has been years. I feel like this is something that happens on tour more. Simply because they are really good and are all aiming for similar spots in the fairway and all hitting from relatively the same spot.

That's not exactly true. I've heard to some people that hit into them on a regular basis... almost every round. It's definitely something that needs addresses ASAP!

That's not exactly true. I've heard to some people that hit into them on a regular basis... almost every round. It's definitely something that needs addresses ASAP!

Maybe that is true... I guess I am just lucky...

The simple way to avoid it is to hit it either longer or shorter than the general distance of other players at the course :LOL:

I would have no issues with calling it GUR, but you have that age old question of when is it no longer a divot?? We all know someone who would try to take advantage of it to give themselves a better lie just because the grass isn't growing in the right direction for them

Maybe that is true... I guess I am just lucky...

You must be because it's at a near epidemic... dare I say, pandemic level it seems.

I usually move the ball out of the divot, and don't feel bad about it. Now if I am on the 17th hole and have a great round going, I would probably play it out of the divot, as I wouldn't want to tarnish my score.

The simple way to avoid it is to hit it either longer or shorter than the general distance of other players at the course :LOL:

I would have no issues with calling it GUR, but you have that age old question of when is it no longer a divot?? We all know someone who would try to take advantage of it to give themselves a better lie just because the grass isn't growing in the right direction for them
Only person that 'hurts' is themselves.

Any sort of tournament play would require agreement in the foursome or a call to the proshop.

Only person that 'hurts' is themselves.

Any sort of tournament play would require agreement in the foursome or a call to the proshop.
I completely get it, but it will likely be something that won't change unfotunately
There is definitely nothing worse than hitting a perfect shot to finish in a divot and being punished for it

I guess it falls under the same kind of thing as being in a footprint in a bunker, though I guess you could argue that a bunker is a hazard so you shouldn't always expect a perfect lie, but it is still very frustrating when it happens (and happens more than being in a divot for me)

I hit out of 1 last year. I'd rather eliminate bunkers. :)

Eh, just call whatever it is a divot and roll it backwards out of it. As long as everyone gets to do it, no competitive advantage is gained, and that's really the gist of the debate, isn't it?

It ultimately boils down to whether or not as a player you support "the rub of the green". The idea that golf should be fair is ultimately incorrect since in it's Tournament form golf is never truly fair.

That said, I would be perfectly fine if all players were allowed to LCP in the fairways no matter what. I much prefer that over the never-ending arguments about what is a divot and what isn't. I've always found it strange that there's a divot relief hangup - but nobody has any problems loudly declaring "Lift Clean Place!" as soon as the rain hits.

I hit out of 1 last year. I'd rather eliminate bunkers. :)

Ok, Just making sure I am not crazy.. I feel like something this small of an issue, is really not an issue and we should deal with it on those very rare occasions. If you play once a week and shoot 85. That is 4,420 swings. If my math is correct that is ~ 99.97737556561086% of total swings not in a divot if you hit 1 shot out of a divot.

Wait ... how many "actually" play by the rules? Those of you complaining about the divot rule, do you go back to the tee when you can't find your ball to re-tee? Doubtful. So .......... one rule broken there. Do you pick up after about the 8th or 9th shot? Probably. Point being, I highly doubt any of us, unless playing in a USGA sanctioned event, play by the rules to a "T." :unsure: I mean playing by every rule. So forget about the divot rule, & roll it out of it & play on. Life is too short & the game of golf is hard enough. Is that one shot going to make or break your round or your handicap? Doubtful.

This is why I am a big advocate for two sets of rules ..... one for the PGA & one for the general hacking golfing public like us. (y)

Wait ... how many "actually" play by the rules? Those of you complaining about the divot rule, do you go back to the tee when you can't find your ball to re-tee? Doubtful. So .......... one rule broken there. Do you pick up after about the 8th or 9th shot? Probably. Point being, I highly doubt any of us, unless playing in a USGA sanctioned event, play by the rules to a "T." :unsure: I mean playing by every rule. So forget about the divot rule, & roll it out of it & play on. Life is too short & the game of golf is hard enough. Is that one shot going to make or break your round or your handicap? Doubtful.

This is why I am a big advocate for two sets of rules ..... one for the PGA & one for the general hacking golfing public like us. (y)

I really try to play by the rules. I never go back to the tee as I will hit a provisional if I think I am close. Got to think ahead.

I have walked back to the tee before. Actually, did it in AZ in Sept 2018 once. I have also put up a 13 on a par 5 and several 10s maybe more) on par 4 holes. Why should I stop until the ball goes into the hole?

1000% agree. I had 2 of them a couple of weeks ago in a tourney I was playing in.
1 of them came out like it was flat fairway, the other came out like a fly in a tornado.

1000% agree. I had 2 of them a couple of weeks ago in a tourney I was playing in.
1 of them came out like it was flat fairway, the other came out like a fly in a tornado.

Exactly how does this look?? :unsure:

Back