Another Rule Change-Divots Should Be Ground Under Repair

smgoldstein

2022 Goat Cupper
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
To piggy back on @JB's thread on a rule change the one that I would change would be to make divots ground under repair. Hit a perfect drive right down the middle of the fairway and wind up in someone's divot-no good. I know there are some that will say rub of the green but it just doesn't make sense to me. I mean if you can repair ball marks on a green, which is basically a divot-why not get relief from the fairway?

To piggy back on @JB's thread on a rule change the one that I would change would be to make divots ground under repair. Hit a perfect drive right down the middle of the fairway and wind up in someone's divot-no good. I know there are some that will say rub of the green but it just doesn't make sense to me. I mean if you can repair ball marks on a green, which is basically a divot-why not get relief from the fairway?
Ground.
Under.
Repair.

Wham.

Part of me says, 'how often does it really happen?', and the other part of me says, 'is it really going to make that much difference?'.

And then yet another part says just practice hitting out of a divot. It's really not that bad. You never have a bad lie? Give me an actual club divot over a fairway pitch mark/small depression any day.

They really should be ground under repair though. They're literally in the middle of being 'repaired'.

1- Part of me says, 'how often does it really happen?', and the other part of me says, 'is it really going to make that much difference?'.

2 - And then yet another part says just practice hitting out of a divot. It's really not that bad. You never have a bad lie? Give me an actual club divot over a fairway pitch mark/small depression any day.

3 - They really should be ground under repair though. They're literally in the middle of being 'repaired'.
I'll answer all of this with personal experiences...

1 - too often
2 - I hit one out of a divot the other day that came out crazy squirrely. It is luck of the draw hitting out of them
3 - You smart.

I would agree to the change of fairway divots to gur.

As I understand it, the relief is not offered from fairway divots to help promote golfers to take take responsibility for their damage.

I don't wind up in many divots myself, and when on the range I sometimes practice hitting balls out of divots. So it's not a big deal to me.

A question I might ask is it still a gur, if no human has tried, or is actually repairing it?

I agree, and since I dont play tournaments and such, we play more casual roles, we lift and place/drop just next to the divot or right behind it for the line

I agree, and since I dont play tournaments and such, we play more casual roles, we lift and place/drop just next to the divot or right behind it for the line
The game is yours to play it how you want outside of tournament or money games.. I love that about it as well.

Argument will be that you're not adequately representing your handicap, but I think that's silly. Anyone who wants to roll their ball out of a divot when playing with me, while not in a money game or tournament, will get a chuckle and a "you do you!!" from me.

If people would replace their divots this would not be a problem. OK, the mowers peel them all up the next day anyway. But, who's going to go around painting the white, spray painted lines around every divot to mark GUR! How many people do you want each course to hire? And how much of a green fee increase are you willing to withstand in order to hire this army!

If it's not a sanctioned competition, just mug the ball till you're happy and carry on!

If people would replace their divots this would not be a problem. OK, the mowers peel them all up the next day anyway. But, who's going to go around painting the white, spray painted lines around every divot to mark GUR! How many people do you want each course to hire? And how much of a green fee increase are you willing to withstand in order to hire this army!

If it's not a sanctioned competition, just mug the ball till you're happy and carry on!
This is always where the slope gets so slippery.

Kind of like an embedded ball, divots can be defined fairly loosely. Agreed upon by the group before making a decision.

The end response from the opposition is always about people moving their ball from even the most invisible 'divot' and the counter is always that cheaters gonna cheat anyways hahaha. Very fun,

a usual problem with this long time debate.
comes when deciding just when is a divot still a divot.
That is much too subjective.
One may as well allow fluffed lies throughout the fairway.

I'll answer all of this with personal experiences...

1 - too often
2 - I hit one out of a divot the other day that came out crazy squirrely. It is luck of the draw hitting out of them
3 - You smart.
1. I don't believe you;)
2. I can hit out of divot just fine and you are a million times better than me. So you can hit out of divots just fine. (y)
3. Fix slow play and get rid of stroke and distance for out of bounds, then I will listen to divots as GUR

Always, always GUR. Life is too short, golf is too hard.

It should be ground under repair, no question about it.

A couple weeks ago I hit in to the deepest fairway divot I've ever experienced. I mean it was a squirrel grave. It was a casual round so I pulled it out but had it been in a tournament I would have been totally ticked and honestly don't know how I would have hit it more than 20 yards.

My ball and I are on good terms, so typically I can convince her not to go near divots. Golf is hard enough as it is, so I generally roll the ball out, but I’ll mutter my curses and dig it out in a competitive round.

For the same reason you can repair your ball mark on the fairway that is in your way of trying to putt the ball from off the green. Just pay some guy working there 20 bucks and give him a white spray paint can. EZ solution.

I'm fully on board the GUR train. Divots are not a part of the course design and you shouldn't be punished for hitting the fairway.

I've never really understood the issue here. Divots are, by their very nature, ground that is under repair and should be treated as such.

My take on it is this, why should we be punished because some one else couldn't be bothered to replace a divot they made. Fair enough if its just a little top grss that has been taken, as this can't be put back, but not the huge hole that is left by someone chunking it or using a wedge

If on a casual round I will move my ball from one, but not if its a competition

Free drop!!!!

Simple. Move it out. Unless we are playing for some serious cash with defined rules before the match (which I wouldn't be) then why punish yourself?

That being said do I enjoy watching the pros do it? Yeah I do, its a guilty pleasure watching them struggle on occasion.

I already paly this rule in the fairway. It's stupid to try to hit out of a divot.

Back