Anxiety & The Healing Powers of Golf

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
That was truly an incredible and powerful listen. Thanks to Lucy for opening up and sharing her story! It certainly opened my eyes to things that I probably always took for granted.

I really appreciate Lucy's willingness to share her story and for reaching out. She's a great interview, was very relaxed on the phone (or so it seemed), and is an inspiration to many.

It was a very impressive interview all round. Well done DG :good:

Well done!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I really appreciate Lucy's willingness to share her story and for reaching out. She's a great interview, was very relaxed on the phone (or so it seemed), and is an inspiration to many.

I’m fairly outspoken about my experience, which unfortunately is all too typical a tale worldwide; this stat is a few years old but it’s estimated that 1 in 3 women deal with violence against them, so I’m trying to speak up for those who can’t or are still in therapy. I’ve done a few fundraising galas as “woman #3” on the program.

And Adam, I was so not relaxed - I would *never* use the word “servicemen” but would say “military” or “service men and women” but that pesky brain damage makes it hard to talk when I’m nervous. I was totally pacing a path in the carpet!

One of the (many!) things I forgot to say was that we teach our daughters before they head off to college to never accept a drink from strangers, to never walk alone after dark, etc. But are we teaching our sons about consent before they head off to college?

Other than the questions seeming like they were edited in afterwards this was a good listen. Lucy makes some good points about women’s equipment and some of the stereotyping that can take place on a golf course. Thanks for sharing your story.

Listening Now, thanks for sharing your story! Also thanks to Adam for doing these podcasts with THP Members, I like learning about others here.

I don't know everything Lucy has faced, but having played a couple rounds with her, I can tell you she's a heck of a fighter. As she said, you'd never know those challenges she faces. She's a super fun person and has a great attitude for golf, even if she does say "fart" a lot.

I don't know everything Lucy has faced, but having played a couple rounds with her, I can tell you she's a heck of a fighter. As she said, you'd never know those challenges she faces. She's a super fun person and has a great attitude for golf, even if she does say "fart" a lot.

Hey man, Fart is my favorite four letter F word! I have a blast when we get the chance to play golf together!!

The mass media stereotypes really have done a number in a very negative way on the mental illness stigma. I like to do what I can to defeat the stigma.

Life is too short. Create your own adventures. You don’t have to go through my extreme phase to be adventurous obviously, but adventurous stories are way more fun to tell than showing off possessions.

Like that time you played golf with this chick who kept saying “farty pants!” when her tee shot went awry.

Other than the questions seeming like they were edited in afterwards this was a good listen. Lucy makes some good points about women’s equipment and some of the stereotyping that can take place on a golf course. Thanks for sharing your story.

That was done because I’d never done a radio interview before, and Adam thought it would be easier to tell a story from my answers than broadcast an interview. He did a great job editing out most of the times I fumbled for words that wouldn’t come out properly. I do have a tendency to ramble until I stumble on the point I was trying to make - I think better on paper...

Thanks for sharing your story and your life's experiences. You handled that interview spot on.

Really appreciate Lucy telling her story. Glad that golf can provide some sort of relief. I don't deal with anxiety myself, but I know plenty who do and I know how hard it can be to overcome. Hoping that more stories like this can help inspire other people to get the help they need.

We'll done lady, all the way around! Since you've joined here I've loved your posting style. Didn't realize you've been through so much but we also dont usually give our lives story on here. I struggle with anxiety as well, I think everyone does to an extent, but yours is rooted in a real world reason. Well played moving on with your life and finding this game as a way to cope.

I'd love to see you be the first female selected for the Grandaddy! Hopefully we can be team mates one day! :)

Take care and I wish you nothing but the best.

Nate M.

We'll done lady, all the way around! Since you've joined here I've loved your posting style. Didn't realize you've been through so much but we also dont usually give our lives story on here. I struggle with anxiety as well, I think everyone does to an extent, but yours is rooted in a real world reason. Well played moving on with your life and finding this game as a way to cope.

I'd love to see you be the first female selected for the Grandaddy! Hopefully we can be team mates one day! :)

Take care and I wish you nothing but the best.

Nate M.

Very kind of you, Nate! I just try to be matter of fact about it. I’m lucky in that I have a fantastic group of friends who tolerate my occasional need for a sounding board (“am I overreacting again?” “Yes you are, dear, take a breath and a step back”). I’m lucky that I already had a strong sense of self and a bit of old skool “you can’t control me” punk - and thanks to the punk straight edge movement, also avoided a lot of self-medication traps.

And heck yeah! Teammates on the GD? SO in! Make it happen!

Yes! I love hearing that! Well done!

Thanks. We also teach our daughters that if they get touched somewhere they shouldn't be touched, a swift kick in the pants, punch in the eye followed by a screeching yell. That'll learn 'em.

Thanks. We also teach our daughters that if they get touched somewhere they shouldn't be touched, a swift kick in the pants, punch in the eye followed by a screeching yell. That'll learn 'em.

I have a theory that EVERY woman has a story - a “boob brush” at a bar, a feel copped in an elevator, realizing you’re being followed to your car. I myself got groped on a plane by my grinning seatmate, who expected me to freeze. (I *might* have gotten close to breaking his fingers and an awesome Marine lieutenant switched places with me, and by all accounts gave quite the lecture the rest of the flight.) It’s terribly unfortunate. Sometimes it sucks to be a girl - case in point, Ariana Grande getting a "mammorgram" from a *bishop* during a funeral.

And sometimes these guys run up against someone who doesn’t freeze. #fightlikeagirl so someone thinks twice. I got a wicked left hook and was trained by an MMA fighter to “aim for the groonies” with my uppercut ;)

There are more good people than bad out there, so you can’t let a few experiences cloud your judgement. But every woman I’ve met has a story.

Last edited:
I listened on the way home. Glad you talk and share your experience. You are very strong woman, keep doing what you are doing. Hope someday we can share a round of golf.

I listened on the way home. Glad you talk and share your experience. You are very strong woman, keep doing what you are doing. Hope someday we can share a round of golf.

Done - we’ll make it happen! Thanks!

That was incredibly honest and open interview Lucy, specially with such a personal journey. That sincerity is also what makes your posts here such wonderful contributions to THP. You've won a lot of friends here. I hope we get to tee it up someday.

That was incredibly honest and open interview Lucy, specially with such a personal journey. That sincerity is also what makes your posts here such wonderful contributions to THP. You've won a lot of friends here. I hope we get to tee it up someday.

Thank you very much! Hopefully we’ll get that round in!

Back