Anyone else rough on their equipment?

I hate dirty or unkept anything and that goes for my golf clubs. So I clean my clubs after every shot, keep head covers on my woods and putter at all times. Post round they get a wipe down or scrubbing based on course conditions.

I don't baby my clubs, but I do try to keep them in good condition. I wipe them after every shot, and clean them with windex and a toothbrush before each round, which takes a little over 5 minutes total. I think bag clatter shows character - but since my G25's are not forged, there is minimal character.

Golf clubs, cars, house.....I always take care of them. Forged clubs, got head covers all the time. Heck my MP14 still looks great and still performs great.

I also think of clubs as tools and use them that way. Head covers come off while playing (except for putter). Of course I keep the grooves clean, but other than that I would say I do a full club cleaning just a few times a season, and mostly only after a round where the course was exceptionally messy.

Do not support iron covers, but everything else keeps their cover on the entire round. Like many other's here, I wipe my irons/wedges down after turf interaction and then usually a good cleaning after every 3-5 rounds.

Bag chatter etc is expected, so I know they're not going to be mint condition, but I do try to keep it to a minimum if at all possible.

I wipe the face of my woods down before putting the headcovers on them, if it's a FWY off the turf, give it a better wipe down.

Irons and wedges I always wipe down after turf interaction. I also travel with headcovers on them.

I do not mind chatter.

I try and always keep my putter covered.

I wipe any club that takes turf on contact down after every shot. It makes irons and wedges last four times as long as leaving all that sand/dirt/rocks in and on the grooves.

Also, I believe that filling grooves with anything reduces the performance.
For a while I would not clean them till before a shot on the off chance I wanted a flier and then I realized I am not good enough dp judge a 2 yard flier from a 5 yard flier

to me.....my clubs are expensive. yes they are tools but they are expensive ones. I have covers on all clubs irons and woods. I don't clean them as often as I should and probably only thoroughly a couple times per season. But I do keep them covered during my rounds. I dont like the clanking around. I have no ego issues and don't care what others think. Whoever decided keeping clubs in good condition was any indication at all that they are not tools. Fwiw I been repairing mechanical equipment my whole life and my tools for my jobs are guess what? cleaned and kept in good condition as practical as I can. Why shouldn't I treat my golf tools the same way? If it makes you happy to have your golf tools nicked and dinged then have at it. I believe tools are to be taken care of.

I use and try not to abuse. But I also do dumb things like not paying enough attention and arriving at a late night ball fitting with 1 too many drinks in me and sky marking my driver 3 times. I think I averaged like a 23* launch angle (lol!) and didn’t find the center of the face in 5-6 swings before I finally admitted I was unfit to provide any meaningful data. My meds had also recently been adjusted so I probably shouldn’t have drank at all and a few quickly became 1 too many.

The only club I “tried” to keep pristine was my putter since it’s a Circle T. But.... the cover fell off one round and it picked up a tiny bit of chatter right on the sightline. The trailing group at least was nice enough to give it back. Oh well, I got it to use it not to collect it. I even let my son use it (after putting a generic head cover on it and making him promise to take it everywhere with him) for the 2nd half of his Freshman golf season after noticing his putting struggles and realizing he was using a putter made for someone 5’2”-5’4” which he was when he got it. Of course taking out 10 different putters that one was definitively the best one for him. Every match and tournament made me nervous, lol.

Every couple rounds or before any meaningful round, I’ll thouroughly clean them but mid round I just do a wipe down of the face as needed. Lots of times it’s just with nearby grass. My irons (that I play) aren’t worth anything to anyone except me. I’m no longer worthy of playing players irons. So I play GI irons and I really like them. They’re not real workable but I’m likely to draw a ball that I want to hit a baby fade. So I’ll settle with straight and forgiving.

I have new actual wedges for the first time ever. Bridgestone XW-1’s. They’re great but I just don’t use wedges much. Short sided or in the bunker, that about the only time they come out. I use my set GW for anything else. I only carry the 56* as I can hit a flop shot with a GW and I just don’t need any more than that. My son has the 52* and 58*. He uses them a lot more than I ever would have. I read somewhere once where a normal golfer would be better suited learning how to hit one club than three so I hit 95% of my my shots 125 yards and under with my set GW (it’s 49*). I only use the 56* when conditions demand it. The Bridgestone wedge set is stamped THX THP so thanks THP!

I keep my clubs super clean. However, I don’t go out of my way to protect irons and hybrids. I cover and treat my Driver and Putter like the precision instruments they are.

I keep my clubs super clean. However, I don’t go out of my way to protect irons and hybrids. I cover and treat my Driver and Putter like the precision instruments they are.

Can you please explain in detail how I can make mine precision instruments? Mine like to miss in every possible way. Maybe yours are more well behaved? I treat mine good, hell, I even give them pep talks.

I use them but keep them fairly clean. I keep my woods & putter on after I use them. I clean my shoes after every round & shine/polish them after I wear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back