Anyone else rough on their equipment?

millsan1

From Duffer to OK to ????
Albatross 2019 Club Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I like my clubs and golf stuff.

That being said, they are tools. I use them as such. I don't abuse my equipment, but I also don't polish my irons after every round with a fresh baby diaper.

As I take headcovers off during the round, they stay off until the end of the round.

I clean the grooves of my irons and wedges during the round, but if there is some mud or whatever on the soles, it stays there.

Bag chatter? You bet.

The only club I put the cover back on during the round is my putter.

So how about you? Run 'em like you stole 'em, or baby them like a newborn?

DataDude

Reaction score
Handicap
I wipe the face with a towel after every shot and put the headcovers back on the clubs that have them in between shots, but I only clean my clubs like once a month or so and I could care less about bag chatter or any of that business. The one maintenance thing I think is important is cleaning grips. They are surprisingly a lot tackier after wiping them down with some soapy water and drying them off.

Last edited:

MrDC

Reaction score
Sure, I keep them clean but don't polish or get obsessive about it, most of the time just a quick brush is all they need.

OldandStiff

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
I leave the cover off my driver after the first tee, but that's the only one. I'll wipe them after a strike if it's wet out or recently cut, but for some reason I'm more likely to do it before the next shot. I clean them for real when I'm bored or want a little time away from the wife. Or if we want to watch different things on tv. Club cleaning and Sunday football go well together. I don't worry about bag chatter or anything because when you play around here pretty soles take a beating anyway. We have real coarse sand in the soil. SO they're mostly tools, but I keep them well maintained, just like all my other tools. In fact, one look inside a job trailer pretty much tells you everything you need to know about my attitude towards my clubs.

edit: Oh, and I buy a lot of used clubs, so they're already in whatever shape they're in. My 8-iron does not reflect my attitude towards my clubs. Previous owner had 8-iron anger issues.

Last edited:

KEV

Reaction score
Handicap
I love bag chatter on my irons and wedges; they are the workhorses of the bag and that makes them look like it. Putter and woods are always covered though. I'm so mental about my putter especially that it needs to stay in tip top shape.

KY Golfer

The Black Cobra
Reaction score
Handicap
Bourbon
I wipe each clean after every use and then put head covers back on. Including my wonderful Iron Covers!!! :sneaky:

Sox_Fan

BHG Homer
Reaction score
Handicap
Putting
I keep them clean but don't obsess about it. Wipe off irons and wedge faces after each shot and will dig out dirt from wedges grooved with a tee while walking to my next shot. Give them a thorough cleaning every 3 - 4 weeks. And never leave covers off any clubs except my 54 and 58 wedges which I never put covers on.

ntanygd760

Reaction score
Handicap
I wipe the grooves. My driver has a ton of paint chipped mostly do to slipping flying into a tree hitting every branch followed by a cart path. Got a few chips on iron from hitting off rocks in a stream.

vdubtx

Reaction score
Handicap
I keep the clubs that have covers, covered after each shot. Irons, get bag chatter no matter what and I try to clean mud or dirt off mine if it will affect the next shot. Otherwise I clean them some time later.

bigfish1217

Geaux Tiger beat bama!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I wipe the face after the shot and put head covers back on. Give them a good cleaning after every other round

lmh3

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 0.2
I will clean after each shot and headcovers go back on after each shot, but don't do much other than wash the grips every now and then.

robrandalgz

AKA skinsccalper
Reaction score
Handicap
I'll give my irons a quick wipe on the face before I put them back in the bag (I don't really worry about the soles until I give them the monthly scrub from grip to tip). Covers go back on the woods and the putter immediately. I used to leave my putter uncovered for the round. After a few years it looked like I dragged it down a gravel driveway, so when i got my new StrokeLab putter this season I've made a conscious effort to put the cover back on before I bag it.

Last edited:

GoldenBuff

Wag more, bark less (formerly mtcowdog)
Reaction score
Handicap
12ish
I don't worry about club appearance and don't mind wear and tear. I do take care of my clubs.

gonyr

Reaction score
Handicap
Covers back on woods and putter after use. Wipe or brush off irons as needed. But really nothing beyond that other than a thorough cleaning a few times a season.

dazeedmonds

Call me Mr. 24
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 22.7
I clean my irons after just about every shot, especially if it's soggy out. More for function than looks. I try to keep my clubs mostly clean, but I don't obsess over it.

wubears71

Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
My irons and wedges are always beat to hell after a few months of use and my putter is losing its finish and rusting in the rear. I could care less. I didn’t buy my clubs to admire them but to play with them.

Canadan

You Are Great
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
+
I wipe any club that takes turf on contact down after every shot. It makes irons and wedges last four times as long as leaving all that sand/dirt/rocks in and on the grooves.

Also, I believe that filling grooves with anything reduces the performance.

WMac19

Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The only time I ever specifically clean a club is prior to taking pics for resale.

That said, driver, woods/hybrids and putter always wear a headcover after each use.

Irons and wedges get a quick swipe and wipe after each shot with my towel with brush attached. Bag chatter? Yes.

I don't need my stuff to be clean, mud will get wiped, grooves will be cleared of debris. That's it. If there's a dingy haze on them, that's OK.

Jimmy3864

Reaction score
Handicap
Clubs with headcovers stay on when not played, irons & wedges get a wipe usually with wet towel before dropping back in bag. Don’t mind club chatter but want clean, dry grooves for every shot to get maximum performance out of each club.

Jman

#JakeNation
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Oh yeah. Good clubs are tools meant to hit something and in most cases go through the earth, as such I like the wear.

Except on a putter. An uncovered putter in the bag should be punishable by firing squad.

jbuck31

Reaction score
Handicap
I agree that the clubs are tools to be used, that being said, I respect all of my tools. I will wipe the irons off after a shot and I replace the head cover on my woods and putter after each use. I don't worry about bag chatter on my irons, I actually appreciate the character it gives them. I do try to avoid the chips on the woods as much as possible though.

TheDoctor

One of the UK Hackers
Reaction score
Handicap
9 (9.2)
I wipe down a club after each shot to make sure there is nothing in the grooves

Driver, 3W, ZU85 2i and putter all came with covers and they are put back on after every shot
Irons and wedges will show some wear but I look after my clubs as best I can so that they last as long as possible, and my bag holds almost all clubs in their place so I don't have a huge amount of chatter on them either

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy
Reaction score
Handicap
5.3 Grint
They get wiped down after every shot and get cleaned after every round. I want clean for performance and for them to look great for a long time.

NullNomad

1/2 Wandering Bear
Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
work
I'm not rough on my clubs, but lets face it... They're weapons of war, they earn their scars, and I get my ass kicked all the time.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in