Anyone ever carried two putters? One for long putts and one for short putts

Longhorngary

Reaction score
Handicap
I have an open spot in my current setup and I was considering rocking two putters. I say this as I have a putter that has a heavier head that I'm very good lagging with on long to very long putts. Alternately, I have a lighter head putter that I'm great with inside of 8 feet. With the heavier putter I just don't have good feel on shorter putts and likewise with the lighter putter on long putts where I struggle leaving putts short with it.

I did this a couple months back as I was trying to integrate the new one (heavier) into the bag. Kept the lighter one just in case......

I wouldn't recommend two putters unless length, loft, lie, head, and neck are all the same as one can change the way you look at the hole compared to the other but what the hell, why not if its working for you. I'm sure you will start to enjoy one more than the other over time and that will just come with confidence once you start rolling more in with one.

Uh no. Would not give up a spot in the bag for an extra putter

For most, you should not consider this. Find a putter that does both well or practice what your failing at…MAYBE, in a few rare circumstances a high handicap could do this with success, much like a spot for a “chipper”.

I think you could find one or get one weighted in the middle of those two that would work for both long and short putts. But also, you said you had a spot already, and you're confident in it. Why not? Lots of people carry two drivers, why can't you use two putters. Whatever gives you confidence over the ball, go do!

I did for a whole season... At the time I was not a good putter. I had a blade for putts over 10 feet and a spider for anything closer. I have and still have issues lagging with a mallet. This year I really put an effort into putting with a blade and practice practice practice. That has been the best fix for my putting struggles.

If you have the spot and think it will help I say go for it! The scorecard doesn't care how you get there.

Not for long/short putts, but I have carried two putters for faster/slower green than I'm use to.

I have my regular gamer, a light weight blade putter I find easier to use on normal, and faster greens. Normal being my normal.

For really slower greens I have a B1 Heavy Putter. Thing weighs almost 2 lbs.

Thought about it but never done it. If you have an open spot in your bag and you think you will shoot lower scores then why not.

I personally would have a hard time doing that, but, it's your game, do what you need to do to have fun!!!

If they're different loft/lie you will never get a repeatable, consistent stroke though, so that is something you may want to consider.

I can’t imagine an extra putter would ever save more strokes than an extra wedge or top end club

I attempted this in 2014. It was the only time I ever carried a mallet putter. I convinced myself that it worked for long putts on slow greens, but in the end I just learned to hit the regular putter better.

I can’t imagine an extra putter would ever save more strokes than an extra wedge or top end club
I see this as an opposite. If you throw in an extra wedge that you do not practice with or a wood that might go 60 yards offline (or more) I can see that actually adding more strokes to your round then an extra putter.

I played golf with a guy once who used two putters. One for right to left breaking putts and one for left to right breaking putts. Good golfer-he played in a few USGA events.

Nope.

but I am contemplating a two putter rotation. But a lighter one for slow greens Abd a heavier one for fast greens.

Nope.

but I am contemplating a two putter rotation. But a lighter one for slow greens Abd a heavier one for fast greens.
This makes paradise fans a little nervous 🤣

I haven’t done that, but I’ve putted left hand low for short putts and downhill putts and conventional for everything else for a while.

I thought about this 2 putter idea for same reason. I control speed/distance very well with the blade I have been using most of the summer but missing a fair share of 5' - 10' due to alignment. Currently trying a mid-size mallet that I can more easily align and hit straighter but unable to adapt the speed. I nixed the idea of carrying both putters full time because I don't like carrying more clubs to green than necessary. With my chipping consistency i would need to bring wedge and both putters depending on distance from pin after the chip.
My work in process solution is: 1, More practice with the mallet. 2. Add/fine tune alignment aides on the blade.

I did that for a while. It was fun, but it didn't make that much difference.

Back