Anyone into home theater/audio?

I've got a decent setup for my turntable, and headphones galore, but don't really need more than a decent sound bar and sub for my TV.

I'll add though, I'm a theatrical audio engineer, so a full home theatre setup would be too much like bringing my work home with me. Also... there is A LOT of snake oil out there.
Absolutely agree on the snake oil.

I'd like to have something in my house. It's wired for surround but 🤷‍♂️ something isn't right. It works but I can't run my Yamaha receiver as loud as I want. I run into clipping and thermal shutdown or something. It sucks. I just don't turn it up.
More than likely a short in one of the speaker wires. Multi meter is an easy check.

You would think I would, but tired of messing with it at work. Basic 5.1 upstairs and 7.2 in theatre downstairs that never gets used 😔

I used to be into home audio. I have a set of Adcom separates and NAD separates with some Snell and ADS speakers in my basement. We moved a bunch of years ago and they just don’t really fit in the house. I also have an old Onkyo 5.1 receiver that is sitting unused with speakers and a sub for that. I keep threatening to set something up again but I am not even sure everything would work again. I have a Bang & Olufson turntable as well but I am sure that doesn’t work.

I was just shopping for a new AVR last night because my pioneer elite sc-77 is no longer sending audio out…maybe an amp problem, not sure. Bought an Onkyo TX RZ50 and will hopefully install it this week.

B&W cm centre for LCR and 4 ccm663 in the ceiling for surround and 2 b&w subs. 80” Sharp TV, which I’ve recently discovered has crappy speakers. 😂

Some of the new sound bar setups are really impressive. Samsung,nakamichi, Sonos, and some others make really good stuff.
Absolutely love my Sonos system. I have 6 amps throughout the house and the living room has the Arc soundbar with wireless sub and 2 ceiling speakers. It is all I will ever need.

Finished my basement back in 2017 after 10 years in the house. Bar, poolntable, bedroom, full bath and theater area. Not super high end but good 7.1 system and a retractable screen.
667d1aab46bfe980eb3e8ef9dcde1201.jpg
c56d2b1c54550b2215a3acac1b80b145.jpg
47712ae1e8a03c41e6467fc680e70458.jpg

Sony receiver, Polk speakers, Epson projector.

Last edited:
Absolutely! Have a setup for basically every tv room in the house. Main setup is:

Marantz SR5014 receiver running preouts to an Emotiva amplifier
Fronts: Emotiva T2+ towers
Center: Emotiva C1+
Surrounds: MartinLogan Motion 4i
Sub: SVS PB1000

Finished my basement back in 2017 after 10 years in the house. Bar, poolntable, bedroom, full bath and theater area. Not super high end but good 7.1 system and a retractable screen…
Looks pretty darn good to me. I’m envious I don’t have a dedicated room like that 👍

Last edited:
Absolutely! Have a setup for basically every tv room in the house. Main setup is:

Marantz SR5014 receiver running preouts to an Emotiva amplifier
Fronts: Emotiva T2+ towers
Center: Emotiva C1+
Surrounds: MartinLogan Motion 4i
Sub: SVS PB1000
Emotiva makes some awesome stuff

Emotiva makes some awesome stuff
Agreed! I absolutely love their speakers and amps.

Also hi to another local CLT guy!

We have a 5.1 setup in the living room with Yamaha amp, Mordaunt Short front and centre speakers with a couple Cambridge Audio mini speakers for the rears - cable TV and PS5 are all ran through it

The spare bedroom has another amp with the other Mordaunt Short speakers in a simple 2.0 setup with the other cable TV box, but I could move the PS5 there if I want/need to

I do have plans for the spare room to put the TV on the wall with a new unit below as it isn't the best at the moment, and add some feature lighting. Might swap to a soundbar for that room to save space but that is not the preferred option

Agreed! I absolutely love their speakers and amps.

Also hi to another local CLT guy!
Another local! I know a few guys with impressive setups in Charlotte

I did a little 3.1 setup in my living room a few years back on a fairly tight budget. Went with a Denon receiver, Micca speakers, and a Bic sub.

I did a little 3.1 setup in my living room a few years back on a fairly tight budget. Went with a Denon receiver, Micca speakers, and a Bic sub.
Micca are my Atmos and rear surrounds. They work well. How did you like the bic sub? Did you have the silver or the orange ?

Another local! I know a few guys with impressive setups in Charlotte
Alright! Love the local representation. Got your next build planned yet?

Alright! Love the local representation. Got your next build planned yet?
Nah just got the JBL stuff from a friend that upgraded to revel salon 2

Micca are my Atmos and rear surrounds. They work well. How did you like the bic sub? Did you have the silver or the orange ?
I'm at work, but my memory says it was the Bic F12. Nothing special, but works well.

Back