Anyone just practice golf but hardly at all play ?

Mystery Meat

Ben Hogan Fan
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad Gas
First off / hope everyone had a wonderful season and had some good holes of golf

just asking here:/Anyone strictly stick to range practice and play very little to none? We have a group of older gentleman that meet up everyday at noon to just hit golf balls together. Two great guys that have all the passion for golf , but to them golf is strictly banging golf balls daily.

I kinda went thru this phase for a few seasons.But eventually you just want to actually go out and play golf. I can see though how just banging balls each day could be enjoyable

thoughts ! Anyway do or did this for a while ?

I enjoy going to a range and just pounding balls but I LOVE getting out with friends and playing a round of golf. That is the difference for me at least.

First off / hope everyone had a wonderful season and had some good holes of golf

just asking here:/Anyone strictly stick to range practice and play very little to none? We have a group of older gentleman that meet up everyday at noon to just hit golf balls together. Two great guys that have all the passion for golf , but to them golf is strictly banging golf balls daily.

I kinda went thru this phase for a few seasons.But eventually you just want to actually go out and play golf. I can see though how just banging balls each day could be enjoyable

thoughts ! Anyway do or did this for a while ?

For me I practice to get better on the course. Don't get me wrong, I love to go to the range and practice green but nothing beats playing a round of golf.

I know what you mean and I also see a group of older gentlemen that get together at the end of the range. They hit their balls and smoke some cigars!

My aging body can only handle hitting so many balls so it is one or the other. I enjoy the exercise aspect of golf (I walk 95+% of my rounds) so almost always opt to hit the course as opposed to the range.

I enjoy going to the range. I try to go 2-3 days a week and usually play once a week. I use the range to try to improve, bit also for exercise. Lost about 25 lbs last yr just sweating on the range for a couple of hrs a day

Because of my schedule, I am lucky to get out for 18 once a month. Practice time is key for me to improving. I work hard at it at home and on the range as best I can. Something I look to change up next year where I hope to hit the links for Atleast a round every 2 weeks. From there it will be a positive to shoot under 80 .

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Because of my schedule, I am lucky to get out for 18 once a month. Practice time is key for me to improving. I work hard at it at home and on the range as best I can. Something I look to change up next year where I hope to hit the links for Atleast a round every 2 weeks. From there it will be a positive to shoot under 80 .

I did this for about 5 seasons. Almost like golf is more for socializing/ exercise/ and enjoying a nice ride or walk. Score didn't even matter during this time as well. Hope you get out more

For me golf is being out on the course. So much so, that the practice that I most prefer is going out late in the day when the course is relatively empty and dropping lots of balls and trying lots of different shots. The range is good for work on various swing mechanics and to get warmed up before a round but I have never found practice on the range to be anywhere near as valuable as practice on the course - or near as much fun.

What's the point? I'm no Roy McAvoy range pro. The limited time that I can play, hit the course and have fun, that's what it's all about.

I've been practicing a lot lately, but nothing beats getting out on the course. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy a good practice session. Just love being out on the course soaking it all up.

I did this for about 5 seasons. Almost like golf is more for socializing/ exercise/ and enjoying a nice ride or walk. Score didn't even matter during this time as well. Hope you get out more
Very true,I embrace the rounds I do play as they are few and far between. Working on takeaway and tempo for me in key in improving when I play bad it's when I get too quick . Next year looks bright as far as I can see .

I like range time a lot. During the summer I was trying to go 2times a week to the range. 1-2 times to the putting green, and then 1-2 times play 18. Now I don't have any time so if I can carve out some time I will go play. I also think being on the course is the best practice. Drop multiple balls (when course is empty) and try different shots.
Next year I plan on using a round a week as a strict practice round and bringing only half my clubs so that I have to be more cognizant of shot making.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I play but never go to the range.

I enjoy getting to the range to work on my game but prefer to play a round over than just being at the range

I chip and putt around my house just about everyday when I get home from work. My schedule at the moment don't allow for too much golf. My oldest is starting to show interest so we may graduate to the driving range soon. Hoping it cools off in the coming weeks here in FL so it is a little more tolerable to be outside with no shade.

I am just the opposite. My time and budget is limited, so the time I do have for golf is spent playing.

Just playing for me with no practice or even warm up before rounds. Forces me to play within my limits until I'm loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My course will be opening a revamped short game area next spring. I intend on going there at least once a week during lunch and just dedicate an hour to practice from 40y and in. It would help me get my golf fix in as well as help me improve where i need it the most.

I practice a whole lot more than I play. I love to practice! This coming Spring, I'm going to try and see if I can't reverse that trend. I'm joining a different club (truth be told, largely because of their great practice facilities) that is much less crowded and a fair bit cheaper than my current course (even though I live on my current course).

I only go to the range to warm up or if I need to work on swing changes. I spend more time on the course than I do anything else, it's just more fun to me.

Anyone just practice golf but hardly at all play ?

My kids are 8 and 5. I can always make time to practice for an hour but taking 4+ hours for a round is tough. It's a little easier now that both are in school.

My kids are 8 and 5. I can always make time to practice for an hour but taking 4+ hours for a round is tough. It's a little easier now that both are in school.

Take them to the range with you!!

I now go to the range to try to work things out that happen on the course. I just got new clubs and need to get my mojo with them. Especially the hybrids. I would LOVE to play the course every day, but life happens, lol.

Take them to the range with you!!

I now go to the range to try to work things out that happen on the course. I just got new clubs and need to get my mojo with them. Especially the hybrids. I would LOVE to play the course every day, but life happens, lol.

Now that they are in school I can get out during the week when I'm off. The bonuses of working 11-12 days a month I guess. I'm one of those weird ones that loves to practice.

I practice bout 50/50 to playing...I live bout a 1/2 mile from my home course..During the work week, I sneak over bout 30, 45 mins before dark and practice anything from Tee shots with a driver to wedge shots...Since I'm a local I know the guys at the shop and the rangers..Not a big deal..I dont get in the way if people are playing..Then I will play on the weekends..

To me playing rounds is just a different form of practice--it's all part of the "get better at golf" goal.

Back