Anyone own a plane or helicopter?

Doug the lefty

Can't knock the hustle...
Reaction score
Anyone own either? I'm spending too much time on the road between St. Louis and are farming operation, about 180 miles away. I'm considering going one way or the other for this specific route as well as for other short trips we take.
Looking at something like a Robinson R44 heli or Cessna 182 if I go with a plane. One bonus of a helicopter is I can land it directly at the farm, with a plane I would either have to build a runway or rely on local municipal airport, which would add drive time.
Anybody have any thoughts on the subject?

Anyone own either? I'm spending too much time on the road between St. Louis and are farming operation, about 180 miles away. I'm considering going one way or the other for this specific route as well as for other short trips we take.
Looking at something like a Robinson R44 heli or Cessna 182 if I go with a plane. One bonus of a helicopter is I can land it directly at the farm, with a plane I would either have to build a runway or rely on local municipal airport, which would add drive time.
Anybody have any thoughts on the subject?

Go for the heli.

Believe it or not there are some pretty sweet deals on Ebay Motors. I have been in the market for an old Scorpio Helicopter, just haven't found the right one. Are you licensed?

All I know is that is like the ultimate OEM right there. What did you buy today? A new white Callaway White Hawk driver. You? Eh just a helicopter.

Do you have your license, getting a heli rating will cost you a good bit more.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

This is a pretty sweet deal probably pretty close to you:
Cessna 152

How about a 1967 Huey? You can get Jake to stop by and check it out. Hell maybe he flies it.

How about a 1967 Huey? You can get Jake to stop by and check it out. Hell maybe he flies it.

He has a cape dude, he does not need that.

You can PM Capt Golf as well. He knows just about everything about planes that would be needed.

Believe it or not there are some pretty sweet deals on Ebay Motors. I have been in the market for an old Scorpio Helicopter, just haven't found the right one. Are you licensed?
Not licensed yet. Will start the program in the fall. Need to decide which way I am going first.

All I know is that is like the ultimate OEM right there. What did you buy today? A new white Callaway White Hawk driver. You? Eh just a helicopter.
LOL. I almost put it in the pondering thread but I didn't think it was directly related to golf equipment.

Do you have your license, getting a heli rating will cost you a good bit more.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
Not yet. It looks like the heli license will be about 10k more.

Go for the heli.
leaning that way...

This is a pretty sweet deal probably pretty close to you:
Cessna 152
Very close. This is at Spirit of St. Louis Airport which is where I will hanger if I decide to buy.

That thing is full of badass....

I have long thought about getting a helicopter since the traffic here in Los Angeles is such a pain. I would be looking for something with a little "pep" and a few accessories. Something like this:

Spoiler
51525182-apache-helicopter.jpg

Spoiler
Ok back to the seriousness that this thread had intended.

plane/heli fuel cant be cheap...

141 avgas is $8.32 around here. But if you figure distance traveled, it is actually cheaper by the mile if you can go from A to B

I actually like this one much better and again, it is in Mo. Rotorway Exec
I like it, but only a 2 seater. Think I want to go 4 person capacity whichever way I go.

He has a cape dude, he does not need that.

You can PM Capt Golf as well. He knows just about everything about planes that would be needed.
Thanks, JB.

I have long thought about getting a helicopter since the traffic here in Los Angeles is such a pain. I would be looking for something with a little "pep" and a few accessories. Something like this:

Spoiler
51525182-apache-helicopter.jpg

Spoiler
Ok back to the seriousness that this thread had intended.
Now were are talkin'. lol.

No, it certainly is not. But, me sitting in traffic and driving down the highway is getting expensive when I could be doing something else.

I own a Cessna 182 and would go the private pilot route. Heli will be more expensive all around by far.

For around 5k (depending on the school) you can get your private single engine license.

As for landing on site, that's a whole different subject. If you do build a runway find a 172 or 182 with the gear made for rough terrain.

Hahaha. That's just funny.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I own a Cessna 182 and would go the private pilot route. Heli will be more expensive all around by far.

For around 5k (depending on the school) you can get your private single engine license.

As for landing on site, that's a whole different subject. If you do build a runway find a 172 or 182 with the gear made for rough terrain.

Slider,
Thanks for the info. Very good point that the heli is going to be more expensive. And, the only advantage is being able to land in the backyard....

What year model is your 182, if you don't mind me asking.

2004 with the G1000 system in it.

It makes flying much more manageable on all aspects. Feel free to ask any questions be happy to make suggestions.

2004 with the G1000 system in it.

It makes flying much more manageable on all aspects. Feel free to ask any questions be happy to make suggestions.

Thanks again, Slider. As I do a bit more research I will likely have more questions.

This thing is fun but not exactly the range you're looking for.

aefd83d1-809f-ae59.jpg

Tapped from my bulletproof Commando.

This thing is fun but not exactly the range you're looking for.

aefd83d1-809f-ae59.jpg

Tapped from my bulletproof Commando.

I like it. lol. But you are right, it may not be the most comfortable option for my 180 mile trips.

Avgas is of course a large cost driver. Some simple, lower powered recip airplane engines are eligible for a STC. This modification must be signed off by a licensed mechanic, and allows use of auto fuel. I don't know if this STC can be applied to rotor craft.

Take care ...

I like it. lol. But you are right, it may not be the most comfortable option for my 180 mile trips.

Perfect crop scouting tool though. We bought it thinking it would be handy if hail damage claimed a field. That way he'd know the worst places to take the adjuster in the fields.

Perfect crop scouting tool though. We bought it thinking it would be handy if hail damage claimed a field. That way he'd know the worst places to take the adjuster in the fields.

Resourceful....I like it.

Back