Are there too many golf club options?

lol because the comparisons I have read on here and twitter are between an iron set and real life necessities. How in the world can you compare the two?
Pretty easily, but let's try this on for size instead.

Compare it to golf balls ... are more options in the golf ball category (and there are plenty) bad for the consumer?

Compare it to fast food. McDonald's offers me 14 different meal options. Is this worse than offering me 8 or 10?

Compare it to DVD rentals. Red Box offers 40+ movies at each rental location. Is this worse than offering me only 6 or 7 different movies?

Pretty easily, but let's try this on for size instead. Compare it to golf balls ... are more options in the golf ball category (and there are plenty) bad for the consumer?

Depends on where the options are coming from. 10 different golf balls from one OEM or 10 different golf balls from 10 OEM's is different.

Pretty easily, but let's try this on for size instead. Compare it to golf balls ... are more options in the golf ball category (and there are plenty) bad for the consumer?

Potentially. It's good for Titleist though. Everyone knows that name for golf balls so that's what they buy because going through all of the options and figuring out what is different isn't worth it to them.

Depends on where the options are coming from. 10 different golf balls from one OEM or 10 different golf balls from 10 OEM's is different.

Wilson has more golf ball offerings than iron offerings. Good or bad for the consumer?

Wilson has more golf ball offerings than iron offerings. Good or bad for the consumer?

Not quite sure I understand the question. If you are asking if I'd rather an OEM have more golf balls or irons sets in their offerings I would say golf balls. If you mean having more golf balls for the consumer to choose then I would say it is bad. Already a ton of choices minus Wilson for the golf ball market from low to high end.

IMO it is impossible to have too many choices.

Why does it matter?

The only way there are to many options is if the golfer can’t decipher between one line and another. If a golfer goes in looking to buy a set of clubs and buys the wrong set for there game then that’s in the golfer not the OEM. Most of us here are going to go in educated so we will likely have a set, and it’s make up in mind before entering the shop. Which at least narrows the playing field down considerably.

A persons budget, playing ability, and wants are the three drivers. Now wants can be over shadowed by ego, and an unrealistic evaluation of ability will cloud any decision making ability of course.

Let’em build as many as they want. We the consumer have the ability to smile and wave when it’s not meeting our needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lol all you want until you provide a reason you think the two aren't actually related. until then the equivalency is not a fallacy.

Cars and Homes are a necessity of life in today's age. Golf Clubs, not so much. False Equivalency. You may want to look up what that Logical Fallacy actually means.

Here let me help you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

Kinda like equating the Golf Industry to McDonald's and Red Box. You know. False Equivalency.

Last edited:
Another fallacy here is to assume all options are the same in terms of levels.

While all golf clubs perform the same basic task, nobody is going into a store and blindly choosing from 10 options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can understand people being confused by the various offerings, not everyone is so interested as most here to learn the latest innovations.

But for the answer to be to dummy down the product line in order to satisfy those not so willing to educate themselves of the possible advantages and drawbacks of a particular product for their game, is lunacy to me.

Some people will review vacuums more than golf clubs despite golf being a passion. Different strokes and all, but no reason to lower the level of the pool.

lol because the comparisons I have read on here and twitter are between an iron set and real life necessities. How in the world can you compare the two?

a car is a necessity? nope. but even if you assume it is (which it's not), you're telling me a bentley is a necessity? you're telling me it's necessary to have a pt cruiser and a 7-series bmw and a tesla with ludicrous speed and a hummer h2 and a mini cooper?

if you want to veer into luxury goods with almost no utility, how about wine, something i think you and i both enjoy? should each vintner only offer a red wine and a white wine? why offer cabs from different vineyards, or even different blocks within the same vineyard? because the market dictates it, and each wine has its own "performance" characteristics, and the raw materials may differ in quality among the various offerings.

a car is a necessity? nope. but even if you assume it is (which it's not), you're telling me a bentley is a necessity? you're telling me it's necessary to have a pt cruiser and a 7-series bmw and a tesla with ludicrous speed and a hummer h2 and a mini cooper?

if you want to veer into luxury goods with almost no utility, how about wine, something i think you and i both enjoy? should each vintner only offer a red wine and a white wine? why offer cabs from different vineyards, or even different blocks within the same vineyard? because the market dictates it, and each wine has its own "performance" characteristics, and the raw materials may differ in quality among the various offerings.

A car is a necessity because it takes me to work.

Cars and Homes are a necessity of life in today's age. Golf Clubs, not so much. False Equivalency. You may want to look up what that Logical Fallacy actually means.

Here let me help you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

Kinda like equating the Golf Industry to McDonald's and Red Box. You know. False Equivalency.

i'm aware of what it is, but you negating the comparison based on golf clubs having no utility for survival vs cars being "necessities." cars aren't a necessity. somehow mankind has survived long enough to breed and further the species before 1885. we weren't on the verge of extinction until the car came along to bail us out.

A car is a necessity because it takes me to work.

it has utility, but that doesn't make it a necessity. a melon baller will ball your melons, but does that make it a necessity? hehe, ball your melons. that sounds funny.

it has utility, but that doesn't make it a necessity. a melon baller will ball your melons, but does that make it a necessity? hehe, ball your melons. that sounds funny.

giphy.gif

Just curious, what are the offerings from the OEM that sit in the same playing profiles and price ranges that are confusing to people?

Are there too many golf club options?

I really wish we had less beer choices too. Maybe to make it easier all of these stupid car companies can start only offering a single model at one price range.

And while we are at it, can you please get Apple to make only a single phone and computer? These choices are ruining my life : )

We should get mad about all of those putter and ball choices too. While we are at it, no course needs more than one set of tees.

LOL I guess I'll walk to all the offices I work out of, sometimes all three in one day and carry my groceries the 5 miles from the store to my house. My kids can walk to school, too. Don't need a car! Pfffft...life in 1885 was soooooo much like it is today!! They didn't need a car then, so I guess we don't need one now! Of course! LOOOOOOOOOOL

The False Equivalencies in this thread are thick. Thick as a brick...

Melon ball anyone?? I scooped it with a spoon because I can't eat soup with a melon baller.

What were we talking about again????

Is calling something a false equivalency a false equivalency?

Just curious, what are the offerings from the OEM that sit in the same playing profiles and price ranges that are confusing to people?

I highly doubt anyone on a golf forum is ever going to get confused. The problem is, a lot of people lose touch that the average mass consumer may not have as much knowledge on golf clubs. They are buying based off brand names they have heard of or have seen on TV, and what Kevin tells them at Golf Galaxy is good these days.

What is ironic, is so many times when a new club comes out someone comments that it looks almost identical to something else already out there, or at least very similar. If it looks that way to a bunch of people that essentially study and stay up to date with clubs, why is it so hard to believe that someone casual can get confused while shopping for new clubs?

I still don't think golf clubs are to the point of too much choice, but it's definitely already to the point where there is a lot of information to digest out there while going through them.

Is calling something a false equivalency a false equivalency?

Only if you know what the actual definition is and use it appropriately! Imagine that!

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Let's not write off adequate comparisons as being a fallacy. There are extremes that are clearly not applicable here.

Let's not write off adequate comparisons as being a fallacy. There are extremes that are clearly not applicable here.

If you think equating a home purchase to buying a set of Golf Clubs an "adequate comparison" then, truly, there is nothing to discuss, LOL. Or even the necessity or lack there of of owning a car to get to work in 2017 because it wasn't needed in 1885!

I'm going to ask again. Did anyone actually READ what the definition I put forth was? Or are we just arguing for argument's sake? Because hell, why actually consider the actual definition!?

Maybe if we can agree on what "Par for the course" means, maybe we can also agree on what a "False Equivalency" is. Maybe?

"A common way for this fallacy to be perpetuated is one shared trait between two subjects is assumed to show equivalence, especially in order of magnitude, when equivalence is not necessarily the logical result."

You know like choice in the home buyer's market vs. choice in buying Golf clubs. Like that!

I know. I know. I just HAVE to be right! I'm such an A-Hole!

I highly doubt anyone on a golf forum is ever going to get confused. The problem is, a lot of people lose touch that the average mass consumer may not have as much knowledge on golf clubs. They are buying based off brand names they have heard of or have seen on TV, and what Kevin tells them at Golf Galaxy is good these days.

What is ironic, is so many times when a new club comes out someone comments that it looks almost identical to something else already out there, or at least very similar. If it looks that way to a bunch of people that essentially study and stay up to date with clubs, why is it so hard to believe that someone casual can get confused while shopping for new clubs?

I still don't think golf clubs are to the point of too much choice, but it's definitely already to the point where there is a lot of information to digest out there while going through them.

I don't know man, maybe I'm giving the average consumer too much credit. But just thinking through the lines and just basing the comparison on price, playing profile or size, and aesthetics I just don't see what is confusing. That's completely leaving out materials and technology.

The way I'm looking at it and the way I used to buy clubs, you go in with a budget in mind. That cuts down your options down to 1/3 probably. Then the playing profile or size, there's at least 1/3 gone. By this point you'll be lucky to have 2-3 options (but probably just one or two) from an OEM with 10 lines. And that's just based on price and visual.

Back