Are there too many golf club options?

If you think equating a home purchase to buying a set of Golf Clubs an "adequate comparison" then, truly, there is nothing to discuss, LOL. Or even the necessity or lack there of of owning a car to get to work in 2017 because it wasn't needed in 1885!

I'm going to ask again. Did anyone actually READ what the definition I put forth was? Or are we just arguing for argument's sake? Because hell, why actually consider the actual definition!?

Maybe if we can agree on what "Par for the course" means, maybe we can also agree on what a "False Equivalency" is. Maybe?

"A common way for this fallacy to be perpetuated is one shared trait between two subjects is assumed to show equivalence, especially in order of magnitude, when equivalence is not necessarily the logical result."

You know like choice in the home buyer's market vs. choice in buying Golf clubs. Like that!

I know. I know. I just HAVE to be right! I'm such an A-Hole!

I think you are the one who's actually looking at this wrong, NewGlfr. No one is arguing the "magnitude" of the importance of a home versus a set of golf clubs. The comparison is in the options available between the two. That is a viable argument.

I think you are the one who's actually looking at this wrong, NewGlfr. No one is arguing the "magnitude" of the importance of a home versus a set of golf clubs. The comparison is in the options available between the two. That is a viable argument.

Bingo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nevermind that so many other examples were given ... golf balls, movies, wine, beer, computers, and cell phones, none of which are "essential", and some of which fall into similar price ranges (or lower). So even if you wanted to give them the "false equivalency" argument (which I do not), there were so many examples which wouldn't fall into that category and still weren't addressed (so you would think).

I put up a light hearted joke about False Equivalency and am getting **** for it. This site is a hoot!

Too many options is never a bad thing.

What is a bad thing is the lack of industry "professionals" with any knowledge on said products to best help you find what is right for you.

I'm talking fitters at Dick's and the sort. Hell I've paid for a fitting from a Top 100 fitter that was utter garbage. I don't expect miracles but I also don't expect 3 vastly different opinions from 3 people. I'm talking about variables like clubs being an inch over standard to standard, lie angles being almost 4* difference, etc.

I put up a light hearted joke about False Equivalency and am getting **** for it. This site is a hoot!

Not giving anyone "****" over anything. Just pointing out the misapplication of the phrase in this conversation.

Last edited:
People who think it's too many options are complaining for the sake of complaining.

Look at their lineup and it's positioned to offer something for every level of golfer.

I agree! The more choice's, the better. Not every line is best for anyone. Shopping around is fun, and more OEM's mean the prices are competitive. Do your homework and you see where the more, the better.

Not giving anyone "****" over anything. Just pointing out the misapplication of the phrase in this conversation.

Because why actually care about the actual definition of something! If you don't like it, just discount it! LOL

It's not a misapplication of the phrase. What is being said is the very definition of what it IS. LMAO.

I don't know why I even bother...

No such thing.

Its only too much if you suffer paralysis by overanalysis.

I don’t understand why people complain about club release cycles. The more options the better for me.

Because the root of the complaint is resale value.

This IMO is at the reason for the complaint. Not getting their money's worth, but the fact that their resale value is affected.

This IMO is at the reason for the complaint. Not getting their money's worth, but the fact that their resale value is affected.

Honestly I am on the opposite side. I don’t think it’s resale value. I think that is the scape goat. I think people want their new and shiny being THE new and shiny.

Got into quite the conversation on social yesterday regarding Callaway's release of their new X-Forged and Apex irons, bringing their total number of current models to 10. Some people thought this was way too many options and could confuse customers, while others felt the more options the better.

What are your thoughts?
From the consumer perspective, yes there are too many options. Any manufacturer could make a maximum of 4 models and every level of golfer would be satisfied. But from the manufacturer perspective, more is probably better. As long as their marketing team is up to the task, they can convince so many people to buy the latest and greatest.... Including people who would benefit SO much more from buying a couple months of lessons and people who just bought clubs six months ago.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Honestly I am on the opposite side. I don’t think it’s resale value. I think that is the scape goat. I think people want their new and shiny being THE new and shiny.

I can see that, but feel it's part of the complaint as a whole. Other parts being when their shiny and new is no longer the "it" thing and trying to move on, sell or trade in it's not worth what they feel & maybe on some level the fear of missing out once the "newness" wears off.

This is where I've settled on this debate as well, since I think this is where I fall. For whatever reason (probably ego?) I want my clubs to be "the new ones". I blame THP.

And of course by "blame" I mean "thank" Haha.

I agree with this. People say resale value but I don't believe it. I think people get upset that they buy something and - to use a poker term - it gets counterfeited shortly thereafter. It isn't the new cool thing any longer.

Cars and phones have pretty clearly defined release cycles. That cycle is not so clear with clubs because OEMs often have unique release cycles for different product categories / lines, which can create the impression the market is haphazardly saturated with new stuff.

Are there too many golf club options?

Options are good. If you like Hyundai’s you can leverage Kia’s, if you like Honda’s you can leverage Toyota’s, MB fans can leverage BMW’s, choices are good for the consumer, Golf is no different then the auto, electronic, restaurant, etc. industries.

I love all the choices for clubs, one OEM's fitter blew me off and and another one treated me with respect and bingo he got the sale.

It is up to the individual to make what you want out of all this glorious new Equipment out there to fondle.

There are a lot of options. If you look at the brochures and ads, they will tell you which version of a club is suited for you.
This will get you into the correct category of trying 2 or 3 different models.
If you need further assistance or custom fitting, someone can help.
So far, all of the clubs are labeled: scratch & low cap, mid cap, high cap, and beginners.
There is no excuse for a beginner to end up with blades, except for ego, or someone misguiding them.

I love it. It's like a buffet of golf equipment.

Golf is a hobby that people do for fun. You can't expect to buy something new, use it for a while, and then sell it when you're done with it and not lose most of what you paid for it. If someone is expecting anything different they're gonna get their feelings hurt more often than not. This is the general rule, especially for hobbies, we all know there are exceptions to every rule though. But I'm not buying the resale thing.

I agree with this. People say resale value but I don't believe it. I think people get upset that they buy something and - to use a poker term - it gets counterfeited shortly thereafter. It isn't the new cool thing any longer.

Cars and phones have pretty clearly defined release cycles. That cycle is not so clear with clubs because OEMs often have unique release cycles for different product categories / lines, which can create the impression the market is haphazardly saturated with new stuff.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Ping every 18 - 24 months they release their full lineup takeaway the first time sf and ls the was offered.
Titleist every odd year they have woods and even year irons with wedges coming spring following iron release
Every fall or PGA show cobra and most other brands release their full lineup.
Not knocking callaway, release cycles or options but they have done a release more frequently for a different lineup. For example a few months ago epic irons and now x forged and MB. Last fall/winter was steelhead. Before that was cf16 and st bb OS, xr os and after the epic/pro was epic star. While they all have thier own 18-24 month release cycle it's the only non premium brand that has odd cycles.

Cars and phones have pretty clearly defined release cycles. That cycle is not so clear with clubs because OEMs often have unique release cycles for different product categories / lines, which can create the impression the market is haphazardly saturated with new stuff.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Ping every 18 - 24 months they release their full lineup takeaway the first time sf and ls the was offered.
Titleist every odd year they have woods and even year irons with wedges coming spring following iron release
Every fall or PGA show cobra and most other brands release their full lineup.
Not knocking callaway, release cycles or options but they have done a release more frequently for a different lineup. For example a few months ago epic irons and now x forged and MB. Last fall/winter was steelhead. Before that was cf16 and st bb OS, xr os and after the epic/pro was epic star. While they all have thier own 18-24 month release cycle it's the only non premium brand that has odd cycles.
I think your post proves my point. You just listed like 5 different release cycles for only 2 OEMs :) No normal consumer - i.e., non golf forum member - could possibly understand, remember or make purchases intentionally timed to maximize the "new shiney toy" syndrome based on that golf release cycle. Of course they are going to feel overwhelmed and sometimes like they got screwed by having some new thing come out just after they made a purchase.

Think of it this way, when have you ever heard someone b*tch that the 1 release old clubs they bought brand new for 1/2 price were ruined by the latest release? Never. Because at time of purchase they understand it may be new but it's "old".

I think your post proves my point. You just listed like 5 different release cycles for only 2 OEMs :) No normal consumer - i.e., non golf forum member - could possibly understand, remember or make purchases intentionally timed to maximize the "new shiney toy" syndrome based on that golf release cycle. Of course they are going to feel overwhelmed and sometimes like they got screwed by having some new thing come out just after they made a purchase.

Think of it this way, when have you ever heard someone b*tch that the 1 release old clubs they bought brand new for 1/2 price were ruined by the latest release? Never. Because at time of purchase they understand it may be new but it's "old".

Honestly the non forum golfer 1) doesn't know or care about release cycles and won't release something new is out til they walk into a store and that could be months into a release or right around release. GG is pretty good at having whiteboard at the entrance when new stuff is coming. 2) most don't buy clubs that often...I play golf periodically with friends and ex coworkers and other than one of my buddies who was fit for his g30 driver and another who bought last years m driver none of them have clubs that are newer than 2 years ago. Last time i played with them I walked around the starter area before we teed off and there were no new sets amongst the 20ish bags in the area. Outside of the guy I got paired up with at a course who had pxg in the bag my random playing partners haven't had new clubs.

The consumer in that case isn’t the factor that defines the problem. They are the beneficiary in that example.

Think about the retailer. What’s their likely perception?

I could care less, and definitely have no issue with capitalism. Club OEMs should make what the can sell, and sell all they can.

That being said, several companies have hurt themselves by offering too much and/or too much of the wrong thing.

Back