Are you an average golfer for your age?

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
I was looking back at my scoring this year versus last year and where my weaknesses were. I am glad I have improved and I like to keep goals before me. I managed to hang in the 80s for the most part this year - 88.3 average. I was able to attain the handicap goal I set for myself this year, but I did go back up some as the year was ending.

I also was looking at the average scores per age group. My thoughts now are hinging more on how much I want to put into the effort for improvement and what goals that would be. My guess is to get and stay in the low 80s which would not require as much work as trying to break 80 consistently. That would be a tough goal for me as that would be decreasing my games by at least 8 strokes. That would take a lot more hours than I expect I am willing to put in. Maintaining mid 80s might be more doable.

Taken from an article in Golfible below we see some averages. These do compare to most other articles on the Internet of scoring based on age. The minimal stroked differences sort of surprised me. There was not a lot of difference between golfers that had a difference age span of 30 or more years. There were 2 strokes between 20-30 years old and 30-40, but only 1 stroke from 30-40 age group all the way up to 60-70.

According to a study conducted by mygolfspy.com, the average golf score varies significantly by age.
For golfers 20-30 years old, the average 18 hole golf score is 89.7.
In the 30-40 age range those golfers averaged a round of 91.7.
At 40-50 years old these golfers had an average score of 91.5 per round.
For golfers 50-60 as well as 60-70 the average score per round was a 91.0.
Players over 70 who were in the study had an average of 93.2.

Are you an average golfer for your age?

One of the few instances where I'm happily below average.

I don’t trust that “study”.

According to the averages listed, surprising to me @71 I'm playing with 50 - 60 age group.

I am exceptionally average for my age!

no way am i Average.....at 64 i am well below average

Whilst I read such studies with a level of suspicion I am better than average on this occasion.

A few strokes better 👍

According to a study conducted by mygolfspy.com, the average golf score varies significantly by age.
For golfers 20-30 years old, the average 18 hole golf score is 89.7.
In the 30-40 age range those golfers averaged a round of 91.7.
At 40-50 years old these golfers had an average score of 91.5 per round.
For golfers 50-60 as well as 60-70 the average score per round was a 91.0.
Players over 70 who were in the study had an average of 93.2.

For me, this is damn close.

It makes me wonder tho, of how many rounds each of the participants in this group were used, as imho, those are pretty good averages for their ages. Most folks I meet, don't break 100, ever.

According to GHIN, my average score over the last 152 rounds (all of 2021 to date) is 85.4, and I'm 59 y/o. So by the numbers in that study, it's one time I'm happy to be under average.

Last edited:
Based on that I'd say I'm right around average for my age range. 91-92 is probably close to my average score.

Study is done by a golf group that is read and interacted with by more often then not those who take golf more seriously than the “average” golfer so I’d say it errors on the better side of the game more so than a average. With that said I’m right at average for my age.

I'm 40 so which group am i in LOL? My average is either 91.7 or 91.5

Need clarification on this because it makes a big difference. I'm either way better than this, or way better than this by 0.2 more.

Far, far, far below average.

I don't know what analytics were done to get the data, but here is a link to the information https://golfible.com/average-golf-score/
A couple things I took out of that article:

...Playing above your handicap in general could be considered a bad score by most golfers..
It's always been my understanding that handicap reflects potential, not what you should expect to consistently score. I don't remember what the statistic is, but most golfers are only expected to play to their handicap something like 1 out of every 12 rounds.

...If you and your golf buddies want to calculate the expected score for a golf course, here is a simple way to do it explained by golfweek.com using the course rating and slope rating.

If a course has a par of 72 and rating of 72 with a slope rating of 113, you would subtract an average player’s 100 strokes by 72 (scratch golfer expected score) which equals 28 strokes. That is the number of strokes a normal golfer would be expected to lose to a scratch golfer by.

It is calculated by multiplying the slope rating by .2477. If you multiplied 113 times .2477 you would get 27.99 which rounds up to 28.

If you add the 28 to the course rating of 72 then an average golfer should shoot 100...
Has anybody ever seen a course with a rating of 72 and a slope of 113? I'm not sure such a thing exists. Several of the courses we play are in the 111-118 slope range from the tees we play, and the course ratings are all around 65-68.

Pretty sure I am not in the average range for my age ( 46 ).

13 HCP and average in the high 80s makes me better than average for my age thankfully

Based on my GHIN, my average for the whole year was 82.1. And that's with some really poor scores midway through the season. I'm 30, so depending on where you put me in those ages since 30 is part of two of them, I'm 8-9 stokes better than the average score

Going by that chart I am almost 10 shots better

As a stroke survivor my goal is to get to average! According to Garmin Connect my estimated handicap is 36. I'm in my late 50s and usually the shortest adult on the course.

Back