Are You Better than Your Handicap?

Great topic Setho and nice timing as I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I feel like two completely different golfers at times. In my day to day fun golf rounds I consistantly shoot a mid forty range score and then seem to get things together for a much lower back nine in the 39 to 40 range. I've tried all kinds of things to lower my front nine like range time prior to my round and switching to the back nine first, but to no avail. What really bugs me is how well I play in mens league consistantly. We only play 9 holes there and I'm averaging a 40 there, so why can't I do that on the front when playing for fun?

It's a crazy game I guess, mental as well.

Great topic Setho and nice timing as I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I feel like two completely different golfers at times. In my day to day fun golf rounds I consistantly shoot a mid forty range score and then seem to get things together for a much lower back nine in the 39 to 40 range. I've tried all kinds of things to lower my front nine like range time prior to my round and switching to the back nine first, but to no avail. What really bugs me is how well I play in mens league consistantly. We only play 9 holes there and I'm averaging a 40 there, so why can't I do that on the front when playing for fun?

It's a crazy game I guess, mental as well.

Duey, I could swear I wrote that. It describes my game at my home course to a T.

Duey, I could swear I wrote that. It describes my game at my home course to a T.

Sorry to hear it buddy, but at least we know were not alone, lol. I find a way to screw up the front, even when I have a solid start. It's completely cost me shooting under 80 all year so far.

Tap,Tap,Tap

For me the back 9 always destroy everything. This mainly has to do that my physical stamina - I get physically tired. So then my swing falls apart and this then goes to my brain. Then it gets sooo frustrating. I need to get in shape!

For me the back 9 always destroy everything. This mainly has to do that my physical stamina - I get physically tired. So then my swing falls apart and this then goes to my brain. Then it gets sooo frustrating. I need to get in shape!

I am the same way. I could go right now and run 3 miles, but I start getting a bit tired on the back and my swing is not engrained enough for it to be completely natural yet.

I also can shoot low single figures on one 9 then 15 over on the next, most annoying. I have played three matchplay rounds in the knockout cup this year and all my opponents have commented that im better than 12. Its nice of them to say that, but i have played in 6 medals this year and only broken my handicap once. Annoys me more than the people i knock out of the matchplay comps 5 & 4!!

As many of us have already stated, I like to think so. I've been told that I'm the "best bad golfer" that several people know. I can shoot par on the front of pretty much any course but can absolutely throw up a huge number on the back. Or I can go 52 on the front and 38, 39 on the back. I can make a 3 on any hole or an 8 on any hole..... hoping to tame that down this summer

Back