Are You Into Course Architecture?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
From layout to following redesigns, is it something you are into?

I am not really. Course architecture only interests me to the extent of whether or not a course is fun and interesting to play or fun to watch on tv.

I don't know if I go as far as following redesigns, but I love paying attention to layout. I like thinking critically about how the course was planned, designed, and implemented.

I am in a private Facebook group fir course architects. It’s pretty amazing seeing the progress. A couple of people in the group post some amazing progress pictures of some pretty well known courses. I really do enjoy learning how and why certain things are done during the design and construction.

It is like wine, I have a decent idea of what separates a good one from a bad one, but I am not that into the details. I can appreciate the good, but still enjoy the mediocre to bad.

Nope, but home course has been going through some reno/mild remodel proposals which was recently approved so have been paying some attention to the plans for that.

Yes, very much so. I love reading about why the architect did what they did etc. I can’t wrap my mind around how they see a piece of land and layout an entire golf course. I feel the same way about baseball stadiums. It’s fascinating.

I like course design. I think it is fun playing the great designers courses and I really love the strategy of some of the holes that are out there. I don't follow the latest news out there, but I read through thefriedegg.com once every week and see what they are talking about. I think setup is architectures less followed little brother. Really though the two work together a lot IMO.

I am a devotee to design of golf courses. I follow a number of web pages and forums which are devoted to design/redesign. While I have and will continue to play a myriad of offerings.....There are certain templates which are excellent. You know when you walk up to a golf course and it was designed by a certain group of architects you are in for a good day. Being a rater somewhat dictates a love for design. But sometimes when the ground is used contrary to normal views...the result is great.

I am interested in the thought that goes into why a hole is designed the way it is, and there are definitely certain design features that I gravitate towards and others that I don't typically enjoy. But I wouldn't call myself a devotee by any means.

I think it's an interesting topic, but I can't say that I follow it closely.

If I come across an article or an interview discussing the rationale and thought processes that went into a layout, I will read or listen/watch, but I don't actively seek out those kinds of stories.

I love course design. I subscribe to the GCSAA and have studied up on it over the past couple years. I would love to take some courses on it someday if it were available.

Not in the aspect that I look at things and try to figure out ways to design stuff. If you mean do I look at it and really appreciate the beauty of particular hole designs then yes absolutely. There are just some holes that are amazing to be standing on the tee box and looking out over. Sometimes its the background that makes it such and other times it is just the design of the hole itself.

I haven't been but I am starting to be a bit more. There are a bunch of architecture fans in my club and I am picking up some things from them.

I am a devotee to design of golf courses. I follow a number of web pages and forums which are devoted to design/redesign. While I have and will continue to play a myriad of offerings.....There are certain templates which are excellent. You know when you walk up to a golf course and it was designed by a certain group of architects you are in for a good day. Being a rater somewhat dictates a love for design. But sometimes when the ground is used contrary to normal views...the result is great.
Could you share a couple of your favorite designers and why? Also maybe a well known designer you aren't super fond of.

Could you share a couple of your favorite designers and why? Also maybe a well known designer you aren't super fond of.
I'm a huge Mike Strantz fan. If Tom Doak was involved most likely you'll have a playable masterpiece. Seth Raynor courses are to die for as are CB McDonald courses. There is a huge Donald Ross society and candidly I can take or miss much of his work. Jack Nicklaus produced a lot of courses which played to his game. Not a huge fan of his work even though I idolized him growing up. That's a good start off the top of my head.

I'm a huge Mike Strantz fan. If Tom Doak was involved most likely you'll have a playable masterpiece. Seth Raynor courses are to die for as are CB McDonald courses. There is a huge Donald Ross society and candidly I can take or miss much of his work. Jack Nicklaus produced a lot of courses which played to his game. Not a huge fan of his work even though I idolized him growing up. That's a good start off the top of my head.
My home course is in the Donald Ross vein of turtle back greens. Creates a lot of very difficult approach shots.

I love a nicely designed course. From the tee boxes to sand traps , hazards and the overall aesthetics that surround the course and holes. This weekend I actually scouted out potential courses to play while on vacation. 3 courses in the area , 1 which I have played and loved the layout. The other two was my first time viewing them in person. The first one caught my attention right now and will play there soon. The last one was so so nothing really screamed at me . But it was only the opening hole. Which is strange as it’s a Golden Bear design course. The other holes are where it would grab me I’m guessing

This was an interest as i started hearing this is a such and such course and the way things are designed and the play is determined off what the intention was by architect how it should play. I enjoyed following the re-design of muirfield in Columbus. plan to read more on the subject matter during the summer.

It's very interesting to me but I've never had time to fully dive in to it. I enjoy making sketches and planning out some ideas for holes

Yes, mostly for agronomy reasons and making a beautiful piece of land pleasant for 18 unique holes.

I have two signifiant suggestions for my home course. Hoping the superintendent, first assistant, and ownership will see the vision! :) One idea involves moving some earth and that's what the off-season is for!!! A backhoe, moguls along a pond, expanded rough with deep blue grass, and an endless green with water behind. Most of that already exists. They just need to reclaim so of it from Mother Nature. A few alterations and bam!...#18 just got better.

I am into it. But, I don't have the time to dig overly deep into it. I have a few books. I listen to a few podcasts about it, and read some web articles when I can.

I would love to dive deeper though.

It's an interesting topic. I live in an area blessed with some world class golf courses on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. But we are in need of a new public course. Would like to see a more playable course that can be easily walked, which the USGA recommends, and that does not necessarily have deep sand traps, over abundance of water and designed mostly for the low handicapper. Make it challenging but playable and fun ... and minimize the construction as much as possible to blend in with nature ...

Good Golfing ...

Back