Are You Playing the Wrong Grips?

I keep going between my current grips of MCC +4, Align, and CP2 Pro.

I do like the Align grips when I tried them before. I never tried the CP2 Pro.

I wonder how the size in grip makes a difference, as I like a thinker grip but the system says otherwise.

Just went through the online fitting and it’s the same grips I won last year at the Tour Championship contest. I should probably get them out on the clubs ;)

Hello, my name is OGputtnfool and I over-analyze things once in a while.

Ok, now that I got that out of the way, I will explain why these virtual fitting questionnaires make me question their validity so often.

So, I went through this one and selected the following entries:

GPfitting.PNG

My first set of entries had me selecting "Dry Conditions" for every other option (Sweat: Yes/No, Firmess: Firm/Soft/Best of both worlds, and Surface Texture: Smooth/Rough/Middle of the road).

The first set made me wonder how TVC could be considered smooth, but I figured the data was too limited to make a judgment so I kept going. The 2nd set had me wondering since it recommended CP2 Pro/Wrap for "smooth" and "middle", but figured they just thought the CP2 was a good grip that would suffice in either category. The 3rd grip make me wonder since it recommends the MCC for "rough" and the MCC +4 for "middle", but they're the same grip except for the +4 lower hand... hmmm...

The 4th set had me moving to the options for non-sweaty hands.

Right off the bat, I notice that it's recommending cords even though the players' hands aren't sweating and they're playing in dry conditions. While I can see that some players would still prefer that, do we really think the majority of players playing in dry conditions with hands that aren't sweating want cords? I dunno...

The 5th set really had me shaking my head. I mean really, really, really. It seems it doesn't matter what you answer after the first 3 choices... they're recommending the CP2. Smooth? CP2. Rough? CP2. Middle of the road? You guessed it! CP2. I was so dumbfounded, I went and did each one at least one more time to make sure I wasn't too stupid to use the app.

The 6th set did little assuage my confusion. Looks like the CP2 was recommend for "smooth" and "middle" again (just as it was with the dry/yes/soft category). So, if you play in dry conditions, it doesn't matter if your hands sweat or not, you're getting recommended the CP2 or MCC (if you want a rough grip).

I dunno. Just seems that there's too much overlap in these things. Am I going crazy or does this make sense to someone besides me.

Obviously, I didn't go nearly through all the possible combinations. I'd bet, if I did, it would show similar inconsistencies.

It chose the CP2 Pro/Wrap for me, which I might play if there lower hand wasn't larger. I do like the texture of them.

Here’s my results. These are the grips I wanted to upgrade to next regrip session too.

Attachments

• 3149CD1F-E492-4D6D-A989-7D837FFFCFA9.png
    3149CD1F-E492-4D6D-A989-7D837FFFCFA9.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 4
It chose the CP2 Pro/Wrap for me, which I might play if there lower hand wasn't larger. I do like the texture of them.

Are those +4, too?

Are those +4, too?
Yep. Reduced taper that mimics 4 extra wraps.
They're soft and feel really nice, but I don't love the extra diameter, and they come in just 2 colors which aren't awesome.

I noticed the overlap too. When I switched one answer to try to get something different, all it did was describe the same grips in a different way. Middle instead of smooth.

Got me bang on what I am currently playing. I initially chose these grips myself, with no fitting. Happy I got that right!!
1585547866159.png

My first choice was the CP2 Pro/Wrap which is what I am going back to in 2020 after venturing away the past few years. Second option was MCC Plus4/Align which I played in one of my sets last year but wasn’t a big fan.

I went through the fitting and it gave me the grip that I have been using for the last 4 years.
Great tool !

It went right to the grip (MCC Plus 4) but I prefer the Midsize MCC Plus 4

I played standard grips for 20 years. I have always struggled with grip pressure being too tight. Last spring, ,my new instructor had me hold the grip palm side up and noted how my fingers were digging into my hands. I got midsized grips and it was literally night and day. Best golf year of my life. It made all the difference in the world in making the club feel 'natural' in my hands.

That's some scary voodoo magic right there. Recommended two options. The grips I switched to last time I regripped my set and the grips I switched from.

It gave me the MCC +4, I have played Midsize for quite a few years, but as of the first of the year, i have gone Standard and playing quite well

Midsize Z cords...just like I have been using for quite a few years

It recommends the cp2 pros which I already play and love but it also recommends midsize from measurement and glove size. I have never given midsize grips a chance, hmmm.

Hello, my name is OGputtnfool and I over-analyze things once in a while.

Ok, now that I got that out of the way, I will explain why these virtual fitting questionnaires make me question their validity so often.

So, I went through this one and selected the following entries:

View attachment 8934312

My first set of entries had me selecting "Dry Conditions" for every other option (Sweat: Yes/No, Firmess: Firm/Soft/Best of both worlds, and Surface Texture: Smooth/Rough/Middle of the road).

The first set made me wonder how TVC could be considered smooth, but I figured the data was too limited to make a judgment so I kept going. The 2nd set had me wondering since it recommended CP2 Pro/Wrap for "smooth" and "middle", but figured they just thought the CP2 was a good grip that would suffice in either category. The 3rd grip make me wonder since it recommends the MCC for "rough" and the MCC +4 for "middle", but they're the same grip except for the +4 lower hand... hmmm...

The 4th set had me moving to the options for non-sweaty hands.

Right off the bat, I notice that it's recommending cords even though the players' hands aren't sweating and they're playing in dry conditions. While I can see that some players would still prefer that, do we really think the majority of players playing in dry conditions with hands that aren't sweating want cords? I dunno...

The 5th set really had me shaking my head. I mean really, really, really. It seems it doesn't matter what you answer after the first 3 choices... they're recommending the CP2. Smooth? CP2. Rough? CP2. Middle of the road? You guessed it! CP2. I was so dumbfounded, I went and did each one at least one more time to make sure I wasn't too stupid to use the app.

The 6th set did little assuage my confusion. Looks like the CP2 was recommend for "smooth" and "middle" again (just as it was with the dry/yes/soft category). So, if you play in dry conditions, it doesn't matter if your hands sweat or not, you're getting recommended the CP2 or MCC (if you want a rough grip).

I dunno. Just seems that there's too much overlap in these things. Am I going crazy or does this make sense to someone besides me.

Obviously, I didn't go nearly through all the possible combinations. I'd bet, if I did, it would show similar inconsistencies.

Bumping this to get more input. Am I the only one (ok, I realize one or two said they saw it, too, and/or liked the post above) that noticed this?

My current grips are regular Lamkin Crossline Cord. When I went through it I got the same size in the Z-Grip 👍

the tool says CP2 Pro Wrap...playing CP2 Pros now and see no need to change to the wrap.

The fit tool put me in the MCC or the align. I love my MCC and cannot see changing to anything else.

Going to give my recommendation a try on the next set I put together.

Back